Behind The Door vs Poison Door

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
shagriml
Road Kill

Some time ago I downloaded the song Behind The Door (peel session) from the internet and just loved it. Actually I became fond of all the songs from that session. "Just A Feeling" version of No Time To Cry was cool :)

Today I heard the Poison Door version featured on Walk Away 12". How can this be this lame ?!?!? I miss the peel session bassline the most. Now this is just sleepy and sucks...

I wonder why they left out the ass kicking bassline and just screwed the whole thing up.

What are your thoughts on the comparison of the two ?
Some people get by
with a little understanding.
Some people get high
with a whole lot more.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

I also prefer the Peel one but certainly don't regard the official release as being screwed up.
Maybe partly because I heard the official one first and liked it.
"as we walk on the floodland"
scotty
Overbomber

I prefer the Ghost Dance version, but you all know that :roll:
Last edited by scotty on 30 Mar 2006, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Badlander
Overbomber

I love this song anyway except for one detail : the lack of a proper intro. In that sense the Ghost Dance version does retain a slight edge.
Apart from the rather heavy distorsion on the Peel session version, how are the bass lines different ?

Here are my fave lines from that song :

"Behind the door
The poison door
The puppets dance on a burning floor
Like dying flames
Behind the door
Shoot me down again"

Utterly brilliant. :notworthy:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

like ozpat i heard the official one first and don't find it lame; although i love the piano part at the end of the session version.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I've not heard the Peel Session. I'm waiting for a vinyl bootleg of it (Radioland, Psychedelic Sessions and the latter's many low-quality repressings, IIRC, have the sessions on). :lol:
Big Si
School Bully

It's like Body and Soul - recorded and mixed in the studio, it just sounds too polished and just sucks the proverbial.....

But Live - :eek: WOW! :eek: It kicks the proverbial...... :wink: :D

(or maybe it's because there's no tape hiss or feedback ;D )
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Muppet
Amphetamine Filth

Have to say that I FAR prefer the "Walk Away" version of Poison Door; a fantastic example of 84 Sisters at their peak, and a path I wish they'd trodden further. :notworthy:

I always thought the Peel Sesh version souned weak in comparison??!!! The bass may have been more prominent, but I always felt the performance lacked something when compared to the official version.

Never actually heard the Ghosties version - how close does it stay to the original?
"You've a pretty good command of English, for a vole..."
eastmidswhizzkid

you mean apart from the fact that it's got a bird singing? :P

Muppet
Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:you mean apart from the fact that it's got a bird singing? :P
....erm.... well I'd never have thought that Marx & Co would have resorted to using our avian friends for vocal duties!!! Was it a small, bush dwelling bird (ie. a finch / tit of some kind) or something bigger and scarier, like a Buzzard? :innocent: :wink:

Nope, whaaatt Oi mean waaaaaaaaz (said in best Cornish accent).... did they stick to the orignal lyrics / tune / arrangement kinda thingy? I've heard what they did to "(when ) Spirits (fly)" and loved it, just wondered if they did a similar thingy to PD!
Badlander
Overbomber

Muppet wrote: Nope, whaaatt Oi mean waaaaaaaaz (said in best Cornish accent).... did they stick to the orignal lyrics / tune / arrangement kinda thingy? I've heard what they did to "(when ) Spirits (fly)" and loved it, just wondered if they did a similar thingy to PD!
They pretty much sticked to the original. It's a Gary Marx song anyway, so you can hardly call that a cover. The main difference (well apart from the voice itself) is the intro, where Ann Marie starts a cappella and then the music kicks in.
As for the rest, not being a musician I can't really go into details. It sounds pretty much the same to me.
eastmidswhizzkid

Muppet wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:you mean apart from the fact that it's got a bird singing? :P
....erm.... well I'd never have thought that Marx & Co would have resorted to using our avian friends for vocal duties!!! Was it a small, bush dwelling bird (ie. a finch / tit of some kind) or something bigger and scarier, like a Buzzard? :innocent: :wink:
it was a greater-crested hurst-warbler...lovely plumage. :wink:

Muppet
Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: it was a greater-crested hurst-warbler...lovely plumage. :wink:
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: Conjoured up a lovely image for a friday morn! :D
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Dark wrote:I've not heard the Peel Session. I'm waiting for a vinyl bootleg of it (Radioland, Psychedelic Sessions and the latter's many low-quality repressings, IIRC, have the sessions on). :lol:
Quiff boy very kindly weeded the BBC digital radio broadcast, from a couple of years ago. Super top notch sound quality, for anyone that hadn't noticed it in the weeding section.
Give me one good reason
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Badlander wrote:

"Behind the door
The poison door
Like dying flames
Behind the door
Shoot me down again"

Pardon me in advance for being controversial, but COME ON !!! Those are surely amongst the weakest, and corniest, lyrics Von has ever written. I mean, puppets dancing on a (burning) floor, behind a door, looking like flames ??? No !!! What's that all about? I'm almost tempted to conjecture that a certain Mr Hussey had a hand in them, so utterly Mession-esque are they in their badness...

As I said, pardon me ...
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Badlander
Overbomber

MrChris wrote: Pardon me in advance for being controversial, but COME ON !!! Those are surely amongst the weakest, and corniest, lyrics Von has ever written. I mean, puppets dancing on a (burning) floor, behind a door, looking like flames ??? No !!! What's that all about? I'm almost tempted to conjecture that a certain Mr Hussey had a hand in them, so utterly Mession-esque are they in their badness...

As I said, pardon me ...
No problemo. I don't see much point for debate anyway : I like it and you don't. Hard to build a consensus on such ground. We might just as well leave it at that. ;D 8)
hallucienate
Overbomber

MrChris wrote:
Badlander wrote:

"Behind the door
The poison door
Like dying flames
Behind the door
Shoot me down again"

Pardon me in advance for being controversial, but COME ON !!! Those are surely amongst the weakest, and corniest, lyrics Von has ever written. I mean, puppets dancing on a (burning) floor, behind a door, looking like flames ??? No !!! What's that all about? I'm almost tempted to conjecture that a certain Mr Hussey had a hand in them, so utterly Mession-esque are they in their badness...

As I said, pardon me ...
They were written by a certain Mr Marx :wink:
vicus
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

i love every incarnation of this song* ;D

*big surprise, hmmm?
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
Badlander
Overbomber

hallucienate wrote: They were written by a certain Mr Marx :wink:
Which is certainly why it never got played live. Well, apart from the Peel session.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

hallucienate wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Badlander wrote:

They were written by a certain Mr Marx :wink:
That explains a lot - I was pretty sure Von would never write such arse-dribble... :wink:
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
robertzombie
Overbomber

I haven't heard the Ghost Dance version, anyone care to hook me up? :innocent:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

No need to insult Gary Marx. He's a brilliant guy, and I won't hear a word against Ghost Dance's live version of Poison Door, which you can download here.

The original version is on the Wide Receiver TSOM bootleg.
Big Si
School Bully

Dark wrote:No need to insult Gary Marx. He's a brilliant guy, and I won't hear a word against Ghost Dance's live version of Poison Door, which you can download here.

The original version is on the Wide Receiver TSOM bootleg.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

You can always tell when it's Mr Marx on the guitar - sublime! 8) :D

Nice one, seeing as i've mislayed mine somewhere :?

Think i'll upload it to a certain yahoo website :wink:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Badlander
Overbomber

Big Si wrote: You can always tell when it's Mr Marx on the guitar - sublime! 8) :D
Oh yeah. Someone said the other day that Gary was the best guitarist the Sissies have ever had. From a technical point of view, I can't say. But he has two "little things" that the other don't have : style and attitude. 8) :notworthy:
Big Si
School Bully

Badlander wrote:
Big Si wrote: You can always tell when it's Mr Marx on the guitar - sublime! 8) :D
Oh yeah. Someone said the other day that Gary was the best guitarist the Sissies have ever had. From a technical point of view, I can't say. But he has two "little things" that the other don't have : style and attitude. 8) :notworthy:
Just look at the music he wrote! 8)

The 'better' half of the album First and Last and Always, for starters! :D

Although i'm also very partial to the live sound of Bricheno, Bruhn and James. Looking forward to hearing Ben and Robo! :D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis