One more techy Q

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Yet another one of those popped up. Well, two actually:

Firstly I've got some files I'd like to turn into a DVD/VCD, but Nero won't do it for me. They're MPGs, and when I try to burn them as a proper DVD/VCD every time I get a notice which tells me to re-encode the files, but that doesn't help either when I do it. Any clues?

Secondly, there's a little movie clip I made and I'd like to 'dub' it with a better quality audio file (of the same material). What's the way to do that?

Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
mh
Above the Chemist

Look for TMPGEnc - there's a free version available and it will do pretty much everything you want, including multiplexing/demultiplexing MPGs.

Not the most user-friendly software in the world though.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Druide
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Hi

First of all, use Nero Express Vision for to made Mpg on DVD with chapter, after burn it...

D.
christophe
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:Secondly, there's a little movie clip I made and I'd like to 'dub' it with a better quality audio file (of the same material). What's the way to do that?

I'm looking for something like that myself.
you can use Microsoft MovieMaker; you pick your movie set sound to zero and pick your audiotrack als music.
to bad MMM always seems to crash my system :(
robertzombie
Overbomber

I'd like MMM but I'm on ME :(

My PC used to have MMM 1 but after it got a virus we lost MMM and i can't find the installation disc :(

Anyone know where I can download it?

Also. Couldn't you use DVDShrink to save your files as an .ISO image and then burn the DVD with DVD-Decrypter?
christophe
Overbomber

@robertzombie
try here clicky
Dan
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:Firstly I've got some files I'd like to turn into a DVD/VCD, but Nero won't do it for me. They're MPGs, and when I try to burn them as a proper DVD/VCD every time I get a notice which tells me to re-encode the files, but that doesn't help either when I do it. Any clues?
On the "video cd" tab, untick where it says "create standard compliant CD" and it'll burn the files to vcd without re-encoding them. Don't blame me if your DVD player won't play all the tracks though, some players are less fussy than others. I've made quite a few VCD's this way and occasionally I'll get a track that plays jittery but usually they play fine.

Why doesn't re-encoding work? It should do. Does it complete the process and burn the disc or does it crap out with an error before that?
If it gives an error then you can use tmpgenc as has been already mentioned, then burn with nero remembering to untick that standard compliant thing otherwise it'll want to re-encode the files again.
Obviousman wrote:Secondly, there's a little movie clip I made and I'd like to 'dub' it with a better quality audio file (of the same material). What's the way to do that?
I don't know if it's the easiest way, but what I do is first take the audio track off the file, load the audio into soundforge along with the new piece of audio that's gonna replace it. Line up the 2 pieces of audio in soundforge and cut the new piece of audio to the same size, same starting position etc so the new audio is in sync, then save the audio and re-add to the video.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Alright, thanks folks, I think I should be able to manage it now, I'll keep you posted :D :notworthy:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Whilst we're on the subject of Nero, I have a (probably simpler) question.

Is there any way to make Nero burn CDs at a rate other than 44KHz?
Dan
Overbomber

Dark wrote:Whilst we're on the subject of Nero, I have a (probably simpler) question.

Is there any way to make Nero burn CDs at a rate other than 44KHz?
I don't think you can. I'm not sure a cd player would be able to play it even if you could??
Have you tried burning one? If so, what did nero say?
davedecay
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

by definition, an audio CD (red book) is 44.1 KHz, 16 bit stereo.

http://cdrinfo.com/Sections/Glossary/De ... TermId=107
Dark
Underneath the Rock

So it's not possible to burn an audio CD at any higher rate?
aims
Overbomber

How big are the raw wav's? It's a nasty hack, but you could burn it with the audio on it at 44.1kHz and the wavs available as a "Bonus Feature". This would work easily on a single release, but for longer projects it depends upon how big your files are. Also, be aware of how much of that frequency band you're using - if your mic and synth don't work at that speed, you'll probably not gain anything from such accurate playback.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

The synth can render at up to 96kHz, and the mic the same.
I end up saving the .WAVs at 88.2kHz, even though it can be argued that few people will notice the difference when they're brought down to 44.1kHz on the CD, but I'd like them to be as close to the real sound as possible, just out of choice.
aims
Overbomber

You'd be surprised what humans sense rather than hearing. I can't cite the exact studies, but iirc, it's been shown that humans can feel sounds far beyond their own range of hearing.
davedecay
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Dark wrote:So it's not possible to burn an audio CD at any higher rate?
correct.

DVD uses 48 KHz.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

you can burn the 96 KHz WAVs to CDR, but they'll be data discs, not "red book" audio standard. unless it's some special piece of equipment, a CD player won't play it.