my favourite painter

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Daggs' pic makes me think that the Harry Potter films were influenced by Escher - with the moving staircases maybe.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
James Blast
Banned

a fave painter is a bit like a fave band/song/film/telly prog etc. to me
tonight I choose Albrecht Dürer
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Zdzisław Beksiński
Bacon (ofcourse)
László Moholy-Nagy
Vasily Kandinsky
some of Hopper works
Debaser
Overbomber

Y'ssum, Caravaggio's da main man fer me and what a badass mo'fo he was too.

Closely followed by Cezanne, Suerat, Lichtenstein, them pre-raphaelite chappies - but I actually think 'Athena' did them more harm than good. Heironymous Bosch and Stubbs
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
James Blast
Banned

tonight Matthew, I'd like to be the Pre-Raphaelites
cheers Ness Image
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Debaser
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:tonight Matthew, I'd like to be the Pre-Raphaelites
cheers Ness Image
Biggy's yer man on them http://www.nigelkurt.com/gallery/tattoos/ 13th row down ;)
James Blast
Banned

Debaser wrote:Biggy's yer man on them http://www.nigelkurt.com/gallery/tattoos/ 13th row down ;)
Dear God Woman! that was a truly stomach turning experience. I don't do tatts at the best of times. :urff:
~ Peter Steele
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Pre-1800 it has to be Caravaggio - I went around Rome in 1986 searching out his paintings in the various churches. Rembrandt also did that chiaroscuro thing very well.

Early twentieth century and I'd go for just about anything by the German Expressionists (can't really count Egon Schiele though - he was a mediocre painter but a genius at drawing). Top faves: Dix, Kokoschka, and Ludwig Meidner. Elsewhere in the world: Francis Bacon (always), Giacometti (his paintings are unfairly overshadowed by his sculpture), Joseph Cornell (not a painter, but brilliant anyway), Jasper Johns (frequently), Anselm Kiefer (often), Rauschenberg (again, not a painter, but deserves a mention), Mark Rothko (occasionally) and Lucian Freud (in his moments of genius).

For contemporary painters, Martin Kippenberger and Jenny Saville are the only ones I really rate, but then painting is pretty much dead at the moment, and mixed media and installation is far more predominant, and in that category I'd have to rate Rachel Whiteread and Marc Quinn very highly as the UK's best.
DGP00666
Amphetamine Filth

FRANCISCO DE GOYA Y LUCIENTES

You are very very bad people and you must be punished
doc P
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

cheers Ness Image
wasn´t there a song by Loreena McKennitt called Lady of Shalott? :innocent:
Es ist grausam.
Dafür hat es aufgehört zu regnen.
biggy

Debaser wrote:
cheers Ness Image
Biggy's yer man on them http://www.nigelkurt.com/gallery/tattoos/ 13th row down ;)

You mean this one Ness ?

Yep, Rossetti was the man. I spent years doing research on him & eventually intend to put a book together. His life was so mad I can't believe it hasn't been done as a film.
(BTW - I take appointments with a small deposit, average waiting time is 3 weeks) :innocent:

My art hero from this last century is without a doubt H.R. Giger

The most talented man in the history of the world is undoubtedly Leonardo Da Vinci. As well as inventing stuff, doing anatomical drawings which are still used today, solving mathmatical problems of any kind by writing backwards, write with his right hand and draw with his left hand at the same time .....besides all that and much more ... he would do a bit of painting.

biggy

BTW - the angel on the bottom right of the Da Vinci painting - I have it tattooed on my right shin. Just thought James Blast would like to know.
Debaser
Overbomber

biggy wrote:
Yep, Rossetti was the man. His life was so mad I can't believe it hasn't been done as a film.
OOOh, who would you have play him in the blockbuster?
boudicca
Sister Midnight

lazarus corporation wrote:For contemporary painters, Martin Kippenberger and Jenny Saville are the only ones I really rate
Just scanning over your post Paul, I was sure that said Jimmy Saville :eek: :lol: . A man of many talents, truly... (none of them visible).

Jenny Saville... now wasn't she the one that did the fat burd painting that's on the cover of the Manic Street Preachers' Holy Bible? :?
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
James Blast
Banned

biggy wrote:BTW - the angel on the bottom right of the Da Vinci painting - I have it tattooed on my right shin. Just thought James Blast would like to know.
did you know there's a vulture in everyone of Leo's painting, if you can find it?
just something my art history lecture told us at art school, last century
~ Peter Steele
biggy

This vulture is quite hard to spot but it is there.

James Blast
Banned

personally, I always thought it looked more like a cormorrant but I guess vulture has a more threatening ring to it

the Virgin and Child with Saint Anne is a beautiful painting, thanks for posting that one Biggy Image
~ Peter Steele
biggy

Personally, I think it looks like folds in the cloth & I think Freud is a cock.
Freud reckoned that Leonardo had hidden a vulture in his painting because he was a repressed homosexual.
Da Vinci apparently wrote somewhere that when he was a baby a vulture hit him in the face with it's tail. That's where old Sigmund got his vulture idea from.
Freud really did come up with a lorry load of old bollocks didn't he.
James Blast
Banned

Top Post!
I completely agree, his Grandson still turned out a top bloke. Clement still tells the tale of how his Grandfather sold him his pocket watch. On his death bed.
~ Peter Steele
biggy

LOL, I hadn't heard that one.
I did enjoy Clement's dog food period.
James Blast
Banned

I have a lot of time for old Clem, he's a very interesting man that has lived quite a life, I recommend a read of Freud Ego, his first book of memoirs. Crap title, I know, but a fine read.
~ Peter Steele
Andy TG
Overbomber

Dulux (I really had to lower the tone!)

Dali / Bosch / Bacon / Esher / Munch
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

boudicca wrote:
lazarus corporation wrote:For contemporary painters, Martin Kippenberger and Jenny Saville are the only ones I really rate
Just scanning over your post Paul, I was sure that said Jimmy Saville :eek: :lol: . A man of many talents, truly... (none of them visible).

Jenny Saville... now wasn't she the one that did the fat burd painting that's on the cover of the Manic Street Preachers' Holy Bible? :?
:lol:

Yes, the Manics used one of her paintings for an album cover. I went to see her give a lecture in Loughborough about her paintings some years ago and she was excellent.
sistersvisions

Rolf Harris. :notworthy:
I'm as rare as a wombats wingnut!
Debaser
Overbomber

biggy wrote:This vulture is quite hard to spot but it is there.
Oooh just like 'Where's Wally/Waldo' or like looking for the pair of glasses (oh and sometimes a bone) in every Biff, Chip and Floppy book (Oxford Reading Tree at it's finest)