3 May 2006 -Leeds University

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
The Rake
Road Kill

Thanks for the welcome Planet Dave.

Do you - or anyone else - know if smoking is allowed within the refectory, or will I have to be popping out every 5 mins & missing my fave band ?

Will be getting to Leeds 7.00 ish, will se ya in the Drydock, time permitting.
Dan
Overbomber

I don't recall there ever being any restrictions on smoking in the refectory. Isn't it only Scotland where the Orwellian non-smoking laws are in force?

I should arrive at the Dry Dock at around 6-7pm.
Rise&Reverberate
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I was at the Refec last night for the Charlatans gig and there were plenty of smokes going around...some legal and some not so... :wink:

Expensive on the refreshment front though.....£2.60 for a can of Worthy's and £2.90 for a can of Wifebeater :cry: Turned out to be an expensive evening from what I can remember.

There weren't any searches for camera's or recording equipment though, security was fairly laid back.

Let's just hope the boys can turn on the style tonight!!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Rise&Reverberate wrote:There weren't any searches for camera's or recording equipment though, security was fairly laid back.
That's good.

Although given:
a) the quality of the recording I made at Joseph's Well,
b) other people I guess will be recording tonight :innocent:
I'll be taking photos with my camera, rather than doing audio recording with it :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dan
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:I'll be taking photos with my camera, rather than doing audio recording with it :lol:
Can you shoot video with your camera?

I've never understood why some people shoot high quality (640x480) clips that last less than a minute. If they lowered the quality to something like 320x240 they'd not fill up their memory so fast and be able to record full songs.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

That's an idea Dan. I think there's enough room on my memory card for about half an hour at 320x240.

But then I don't know if I can be arsed filming...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dan
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:That's an idea Dan. I think there's enough room on my memory card for about half an hour at 320x240.

I didn't mean you specifically, just a general query really to those that say "Wow, look at this amazing high quality 23 SECOND CLIP I filmed of a bunch of smoke." :D

On some of the torrent sites I use there's people shooting concerts as 5 minute 300mb mov files, which is going a bit over the top!
Last edited by Dan on 03 May 2006, 16:50, edited 2 times in total.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

I fell out the chemists window last night-so I'm a wee bit sore but still up for it!!! :cry: :)
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Dan wrote:
markfiend wrote:That's an idea Dan. I think there's enough room on my memory card for about half an hour at 320x240.

I didn't mean you specifically, just a general query really to those that say "Wow, look at this amazing high quality 23 SECOND CLIP I filmed of a bunch of smoke." :D
:lol: fairy nuff.

But if I do film anything, I promise I'll try to get whole songs. ;D
—Bertrand Russell
hellboy69
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote: :lol: fairy nuff.

But if I do film anything, I promise I'll try to get whole songs. ;D
Nice one, Sir Fiend ~ although i kinda hope the gig is a stormer & you're too busy going mad like a mad thing!

Enjoy.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

God I hope I'm not too late, but everyone have a top nite out! 8)

Have fun and let us know how it went!

Lots of love to the people I know and I'll be thinking of you all!

MB :D
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

MadameButterfly wrote:God I hope I'm not too late, but everyone have a top nite out! 8)

Have fun and let us know how it went!

Lots of love to the people I know and I'll be thinking of you all!

MB :D
Indeed :D Hope it'll be a top gig for you guys 8)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
metalorange
Road Kill

Hey guys, just got back from the Leeds gig, it was fantastic as far as I'm concerned. Stood about 10 rows from the front and the sound level was perfect, that vibrancy that hits you in the stomach and stays with you for days. The smoke was ever present but stayed at a pretty consistent level so you could see, well, silhouettes of the guys. Very atmospheric as usual. I haven't seen them for a fair while so I'm not so hot on the setlist, but from what I've read, it was pretty much par for the course. But for me, it made me feel young again, that rock atmosphere that originated in the 80s and still has the capacity to transcend you to another joyful level.

It was a pleasure to meet (for the first time) various members of the seemingly large contingent of Heartland members, particularly Lazarus Corperation who if he didn't look like his avatar I wouldn't have been sure where the Heartlanders where at, and Boudicca and James Blast, and Planet Dave and a few others I will have to say Hi to when I remember.

Cool gig. Like most people I expect, it would be good if they had played longer, it was the usual 80 or so minutes gig, I didn't want it to end. Made me want to go see the Cult play there in September and relive the youth I never had some more!
Low Violet
Road Kill

Really enjoyed the gig tonight. What was the song they played after Annaconda? I didn't recognise it... :roll:
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

Much much better than last night. Good sound, great crowd and just the right amount of smoke IMHO. The guitars really cut through the mix tonight. Von's vocals could have been louder but they were audible enough.
Setlist was the same as it's been the last few gigs so no surprises there.
The rumoured Ivories / Gary Marx collaboration never happened btw. :?
The Scene won't save you...
Andy TG
Overbomber

Low Violet wrote:Really enjoyed the gig tonight. What was the song they played after Annaconda? I didn't recognise it... :roll:
@ Low Violet - Welcome to "My Heartland" :-)

Great to see another fan of The Merry Thougths on the forum :notworthy:
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Low Violet
Road Kill

Thanks for the welcome. I would have said Hi to people at the gig but I am new here and wouldn't have recognised anyone if they fell over me... Maybe they did actually, had a few people from the mosh pit bounce off me tonight...

So what was that song after Annaconda? That was the only one I didn't recognise in the set list. I thought it was a good choice of tracks tonight as well. Quite different from the Smoke & Mirrors tour.
lachert
Overbomber

Low Violet wrote:So what was that song after Annaconda?
romeo down? :|
long live rock'n'roll
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Thanks for the reviews so far!

Seems to have been a great gig... :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"
culprit

Great gig, everything as I'd hoped, and an improvement on the last one I went to (Blank Canvas!).
Very good to catch up with a few of you- Francis, James, Barry, Mark, etc...and to put faces to the drivel!! 8)
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....
Badlander
Overbomber

Thanks to all for the reviews ! :notworthy:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Rise&Reverberate
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

First thoughts walking into the Refec were 'oh dear' as they'd blocked it off halfway so obviously ticket sales weren't so great, I'd reckon 1,000 tops. The gig itself was pretty good. No surprises in the setlist. Thought that the guitar levels were too low on Crash & Burn and Ribbons but they seemed to get better as the night went on. Eldritch's vocals were pretty good considering the long tour and were at a decent volume throughout.

We Are The Same...Giving Ground and Summer were pretty average but things livened up after that with good versions of Alice, Anaconda, Romeo Down and This Corrosion with Eldritch encouraging crowd participation towards the end...not that we needed encouraging! Excellent version of Top Nite Out, the two new guitarists loved playing up to the crowd and generally added something to the overall performance.

Smoke levels were consistent throughout, lighting was ok, Eldritch was his usual posturing self and seemed to be enjoying it, definitely not just going through the motions as has been suggested at some of the gigs on this tour. Finished off with Temple, and then a softly spoken 'Thank You' and that was it done and dusted.

My only criticism would be the lack of variety on the setlist, you practically know what song's coming next and an element of surprise or variety would definitely give the shows that something extra. Overall though, a solid performance that most of the crowd seemed to enjoy.

Looking forward to Manchester tonight although I think it'll be pretty much more of the same.

BTW Good performance by the Ivories, plenty of energy (especially from the lead singer) and they all seemed to be enjoying the occasion.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Set list (I think):
Crash And Burn
Ribbons
Doctor Jeep / Detonation Boulevard
When You Don't See Me
Flood
We Are The Same Susanne
Giving Ground
Summer
Dominion / Mother Russia
Slept
Alice
Anaconda
Romeo Down
Never Land
This Corrosion

Something Fast
Lucretia

Top Nite Out
Temple Of Love
=====================

Nice to see some familiar faces, nice to put faces to some familiar names. Sorry to everyone who I waved at across the room but didn't actually talk to...

Big up to Nigel for trying to start "Happy Birthday Dear Sisters" with me :lol:

Why will no-one else ever join in with me waving my lighter in the air during Something Fast? :twisted:

The gig was a corker. Sound good, guitars rocking, the good doktor on fine form. I did notice that :von: wasn't doing as much screaming as he has in the past; voice-preservation I guess? But that wasn't a problem.

Some pictures (from my phone, I bloody forgot my camera didn't I? :urff:):
*Edit: Oh and another thing, for people complaining about the "lack of a bassist", I'm pretty sure that Chris played bass during Dominion and Ben played bass during... one of the other songs (I can't remember now). Maybe people who were nearer the front can confirm?

Oh and yet another thing... Nice costume changes Chris :lol:

And more. Fab to see Richey and Di again. :kiss:
Last edited by markfiend on 04 May 2006, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
—Bertrand Russell
sistersvisions

Great pics there for a camera phone. :D

Anything for weeding list. :innocent:
I'm as rare as a wombats wingnut!
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Morning! Are we all accounted for then? Top Nite Out - where else but Leeds can you end up drinking in a boat at 2am with bouncers so friendly they insist on shaking your hand as you leave? Class 8) That tiny little Strawberry Fields pub was quite an experience too!

Good to see the old faces and meet some new ones! Roll on Monday 8)