Han Shoots First ~ September 2006

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
hellboy69
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Good news for ubergeeky olde fartes like... um... me!

:D

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/rele ... 60503.html
This September: Original Unaltered Trilogy on DVD
May 03, 2006

Fans can look forward to a September filled with classic Star Wars nostalgia, led by the premiere of LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy video game and the long-awaited DVD release of the original theatrical incarnations of the classic Star Wars trilogy.
In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie and, as bonus material, the theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.

See the title crawl to Star Wars before it was known as Episode IV; see the pioneering, if dated, motion control model work on the attack on the Death Star; groove to Lapti Nek or the Ewok Celebration song like you did when you were a kid; and yes, see Han Solo shoot first.

This release will only be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st. International release will follow on or about the same day. Each original theatrical version will feature Dolby 2.0 Surround sound, close-captioning, and subtitles in English, French and Spanish for their U.S. release. International sound and subtitling vary by territory.

"Over the years, a truly countless number of fans have told us that they would love to see and own the original version that they remember experiencing in theaters," said Jim Ward, President of LucasArts and Senior Vice President of Lucasfilm Ltd. "We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD. This is something that we're very excited to be able to give to fans in response to their continuing enthusiasm for Star Wars. Topping it off with a new interactive adventure makes September 12 a red-letter day for Star Wars fans."

That's also the day fans will be able to experience the LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy video game, the action-packed sequel -- filled with tongue-in-cheek humor -- to one of the best selling video games of 2005. To see the trailer to the new game from LucasArts and TT Games, click here!

Click here to order your copy of the game today. To order the first in a series of t-shirts to commemorate the return of the original unaltered trilogy, click here.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

hellboy69 wrote:Good news for ubergeeky olde fartes like... um... me!

...and me! W0000t! \m/ ;D :notworthy: :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
christophe
Overbomber

heeey :D
but I got 2 versions of them allready. :?
canon docre
Overbomber

thats good news indeed. :D I'm so fed up with all that pixel wank called Episodes.

P.S. R2D2 cannot fly.
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Bastards. So now I'll end up buying a 4th copy of each of the films? :roll:

(Before you ask, taped-off-telly versions from yonks ago, then bought widescreen special editions on VHS, then bought DVDs, now these. It takes the p*ss. They should have been on the special edition DVDs anyway.)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote: They should have been on the special edition DVDs anyway.)
Absolutely. I'll be buying them anyway. A whore to corporate greed...
24.24.2.489 Deceased
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yeah me too. :|

But Lucas really needs the money, doesn't he? He must be down to his last billion. :roll:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
christophe
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Yeah me too. :|

But Lucas really needs the money, doesn't he? He must be down to his last billion. :roll:
he needs the money to make more toys and stuff.. to make even more money. :roll:

next year there are going to be the 3d versios of these movies, the year after that a new clonewars cartoon and after that a new live action television series :eek:
Petseri
Overbomber

When do we get the Holiday Special, an official work?

To the Star Wars fans out there: how do early published works, like Splinter of the Mind's Eye, relate or are viewed now that the storyline has taken so many incongruous turns?
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Petseri wrote:When do we get the Holiday Special, an official work?
Have you seen it? I can't get any further than 20 mins into it. f**king awful is being polite about it.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Petseri
Overbomber

CellThree wrote:
Petseri wrote:When do we get the Holiday Special, an official work?
Have you seen it? I can't get any further than 20 mins into it. f**king awful is being polite about it.
I remember seeing it when it first aired. It must be bad enough to block out of my mind because I can not remember much about it, though. Still, I think it funny that Lucas views it as a bastard child to the universe which he created and wished all copies burned.

He may be down to his last billion if this one gets a release. ;D
mh
Above the Chemist

Me too. Spectacularly awful stuff. I'd love to see the Muppets episode again though!

But the main news - OH WOW OH WOW OH WOW!
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

christophe wrote:heeey :D
but I got 2 versions of them allready. :?

I, on the other hand, do not. In fact, I have none. :P :wink:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
mh
Above the Chemist

Excitement died down.

Must admit I never did see the point of the whole "Han shoots first" thing. It was only like 1 second or so of the whole movie, a real blink and you miss it moment. A friend tried to explain, but I still didn't get it. I imagine the most extreme fanboys will need a change of underpants on account of that alone though.

What I'm really looking forward to is being able to see them again without all of those rubbish digital effects that just look out of place and spoil the flow. Although I'll be missing the Jabba sequence - that sets up backstory for what happens later, and does a better job of explaining why Han is so scared of this Jabba dude. Woulda been nice to keep that with the animatronic Jabba instead.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
canon docre
Overbomber

mh wrote:Excitement died down.

Must admit I never did see the point of the whole "Han shoots first" thing. It was only like 1 second or so of the whole movie, a real blink and you miss it moment. A friend tried to explain, but I still didn't get it. I imagine the most extreme fanboys will need a change of underpants on account of that alone though.
oh, come on now! There're surely some valid points against the newer version of the Mos Eisley incident. Please check here for a comprehensive explanation :P
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I was waiting for Our Lady of the 'Wars to join the thread.

Since when was Han a bloody 'Machiavellian' character? Han Shot First? CODSWALLOP!

Now, I'm off to document the development of the Super Star Destroyer and read my ninteen million novels. :wink:

It's a matter of perspective.
mh
Above the Chemist

OK, I see the perspective. It would be - for me - as if someone had gone back to A Fistful Of Dollars and cleaned up Clint's character. Or even worse, cleaned up Django.

It still is only one incident, but each to their own I s'pose.

Surprised there's no Simpsons references to it though...
davedecay
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

i have my DVDs created from the Definitive Trilogy (laserdisc) so i'm happy enough. also some of the fan edits are good, they fix Lucas' broken directing and bad casting choices a bit. :innocent:

you can find some of them here:
http://myspleen.net/browse.php