How Many Stories Are There?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

I was having a discussion with this man my friend introduced me to in a café. He claimed there were only seven plots, and that every story ever made is based around one of these plots. So I decided to do some research and found eleven plots, which are quoted at the end of this post. I’m curious as to how many stories there are. Has anyone else here tried finding out? Is this seven plots for true or nonsense?
  • Cinderella - Unrecognised virtue at last recognised. It's the same story as the Tortoise and the Hare. Cinderella doesn't have to be a girl, nor does it even have to be a love story. What is essential is that the good is despised, but is recognised in the end, something that we all want to believe.
  • Achilles - The Fatal Flaw, that is the groundwork for practically all classical tragedy, although it can be made comedy too, as in the old standard Aldwych farce. Lennox Robinson's The Whiteheaded Boy is the Fatal Flaw In reverse.
  • Faust - The Debt that Must be Paid, the fate that catches up with all of us sooner or later. This is found in all its purity as the chase in O'Neill's The Emperor Jones. And in a completely different mood, what else is the Cherry Orchard?
  • Tristan - that standard triangular plot of two women and one man, or two men and one woman. The Constant Nymph, or almost any French farce.
  • Circe - The Spider and the Fly. Othello. The Barretts of Wimpole Street, if you want to change the sex. And if you don't believe me about Othello (the real plot of which is not the triangle and only incidentally jealousy) try casting it with a good Desdemona but a poor Iago.
  • Romeo and Juliet - Boy meets Girl, Boy loses Girl, Boy either finds or does not find Girl: it doesn't matter which.
  • Orpheus - The Gift taken Away. This may take two forms: either the tragedy of the loss itself, as in Juno and the Paycock, or it may be about the search that follows the loss, as in Jason and the Golden Fleece.
  • The Hero Who Cannot Be Kept Down - The best example of this is that splendid play Harvey, made into a film with James Stewart.
  • The homeless loner - The classics are the Wandering Jew and the Flying Dutchman, or Shane, The Fugitive, the Kung Fu TV series, and several Clint Eastwood characters. Mostly the drifter rides into the sunset or walks into the fog, but Aragorn, who starts as Strider in Fellowship of the Ring, transcends the archetype and becomes king.
  • Hourglass Plot - One of the seven, I am sure, is the hourglass plot, in which two characters begin high and low, cross in the middle, like an hourglass, and swap positions at the end. Martin Amis, for one, can write nothing else. Success is quintessentially hourglass; and Money and The Information both rely heavily on hourglass elements.
  • Circle Plot - Circular stories follow a "round" pattern - they begin and end in the same. Like the cycle of seasons or the life cycle, circular stories follow a predictable series of events that returns to the starting point.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

surely the last four are variations of the others?
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
Debaser
Overbomber

It's all Greek to me ;) :D :D :D
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

or latin
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
Badlander
Overbomber

The great Alfred Hitchcock once said that the best plots came to him at night in his dreams. He didn't want to let the ideas just slip away, so he put a notepad on his night table. As soon as he woke up at night, he would write down the ideas and sort them out in the morning. When he got up, all that was on the pad was the words "man loves woman". :wink: 8)
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
scotty
Overbomber

I don't do "story's", I just go for "Gonzo" films :innocent:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
James Blast
Banned

according to The June Brides 8 million
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Badlander
Overbomber

scotty wrote:I don't do "story's", I just go for "Gonzo" films :innocent:
:eek: :lol: :notworthy:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

as i remember, there were originally 7 types of play, became film etc

tragedy, romance, comedy etc..

1. Overcoming the monster
2. The Quest
3. Journey and Return
4. Comedy
5. Tragedy
6. Rebirth
7. Rags to Riches (romance)
Last edited by paint it black on 15 May 2006, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
Goths have feelings too
canon docre
Overbomber

at the end it comes down to just one story, the archetypical Hero Quest, explored thoroughly by Joseph Campbell.
It's funny how you can find the same structure in almost every movie (except minimal plot or Art movies).
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Andie
Overbomber

canon docre wrote:It's funny how you can find the same structure in almost every movie (except minimal plot or Art movies).

back to Scotty's gonzo movies again :roll: :notworthy: :innocent: :lol:
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
James Blast
Banned

Burn wrote:back to Scotty's gonzo movies again :roll: :notworthy: :innocent: :lol:
that'll be the 'Bug Hunt' movie ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
scotty
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:
Burn wrote:back to Scotty's gonzo movies again :roll: :notworthy: :innocent: :lol:
Debbie Does Cockroaches :innocent: :twisted:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Andie
Overbomber

scotty wrote:
James Blast wrote:
Debbie Does Cockroaches :innocent: :twisted:
and there i was expecting something else :innocent: :roll:
James Blast
Banned

I survived another...
Last edited by James Blast on 15 May 2006, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
~ Peter Steele
Andie
Overbomber

mair like ben dover
James Blast
Banned

Burn wrote:mair like ben dover
but he looks like Orville the talking green comic duck's operator :eek:
~ Peter Steele
Andie
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:
Burn wrote:mair like ben dover
but he looks like Orville the talking green comic duck's operator :eek:
i dunno what he looks like... :innocent: :lol:

but i wouldn't put it past him to do bad things to Orville... :twisted:
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

James Blast wrote:Aye! me to, summat like Debbie does Dallas' Dirty Short Pants with Her Drill and Sex. :twisted:
Damnit! This is the second time I've caught you this evening!

Mr. Blast this is quite .... *words escape me at this moment*
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Dark
Underneath the Rock

MadameButterfly wrote:Mr. Blast this is quite .... *words escape me at this moment*
Arousing? :innocent:

*runs for the hills*
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

MadameButterfly wrote:
James Blast wrote:Aye! me to, summat like Debbie does Dallas' Dirty Short Pants with Her Drill and Sex. :twisted:
Damnit! This is the second time I've caught you this evening!

Mr. Blast this is quite .... *words escape me at this moment*
shame, it could've been a good topic this thread, as usual is totally f**ked over

ho hum :urff:
Last edited by paint it black on 15 May 2006, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
Goths have feelings too
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Dark wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote:Mr. Blast this is quite .... *words escape me at this moment*

*runs for the hills*
Young man, is your homework done yet?

*you can run for the hills but I can run faster and up mountains*
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Andie
Overbomber

MadameButterfly wrote:
Dark wrote:

*runs for the hills*
Young man, is your homework done yet?

*you can run for the hills but I can run faster and up mountains*
Iron Maiden

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I have only revision to do. And since Ez wants SOMETHING on-topic, I have an English Lit exam next week, where I have to write 3 essays on 3 stories that I have no interest in WHATSOEVER.

:urff:
James Blast
Banned

I will now edit my posts as I can't delete them, no offence meant :oops:
~ Peter Steele