what do you make of this?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Ocean Moves
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3256945.stm

I think it's ridiculous...is this progress?
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

As with everything else, it depends on your perspective. For the multinationals in the music production industry, it's progress towards reclaiming that good old monopology, thanks to having an enormous lever in the governments of the world.

To the billions of hackers and crackers out there, it's just more challenges to overcome. The same perspective applies to the Police, who probably take a dim view of chasing copy-protection violaters over murderers, rapists, et al.

Hell, even the media disagree; that article was definitely slanted. The only people who think this is progress are those who're going to benefit from it; Imperium Sony.

Go Figure.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

the clicky wrote:Some have pointed out that fast-forwarding through the ads at the start of a DVD now contravenes the law.
That's mental.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dan
Overbomber

A stupid unworkable law. Why bother? They couldn't stop us taping on cassettes and this isn't gonna stop us either.
aims
Overbomber

In other news, CD players (due to scratching), equalisers and biased speakers are all illegal because they create derivative works of the content played and phono cables are shortly to be banned because if it's analog, you can't do a f**king thing to stop copying. Even if the signal's encrypted, you just copy it after encryption and inject your copy back into the signal chain prior to decryption.

DRM's a royal pain in the arse, but it doesn't stop anyone from doing anything. Has nobody in a suit heard the words "Analog Hole" or are they just conveniently ignoring it so that they look like idiots? :roll:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Mmmm...more scare tactics. Big effing deal. Until someone comes after me personally, I'm ignoring all of these moronic "threats". :wink: :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Technically, doesn't some DRM stuff violate the CD Red Book standard anyway? If it won't play in a CD-ROM drive they shouldn't call it a CD.

And Motz is right; there's no way to stop analog copying. :twisted:

And I've yet to find a DRM disk that my Mac can't rip. It just seems to ignore the DRM gubbins. :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:And I've yet to find a DRM disk that my Mac can't rip. It just seems to ignore the DRM gubbins. :lol:
as does www.windac.de on my pc ;) :innocent:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
aims
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:And I've yet to find a DRM disk that my Mac can't rip. It just seems to ignore the DRM gubbins. :lol:
Unix forever ;D

If it doesn't want to copy, dd if=/dev/cd0 of=/dev/cd1 :twisted:

Syntax probably not correct, since I'm usually a K3B using wuss ;)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Just whack it in iTunes:

preferences -> importing -> AIFF encoder (check the "check for errors" tickbox)

has never let me down yet :lol:
—Bertrand Russell
aims
Overbomber

Of course. I was merely providing a solution should they ever deign to tamper with redbook beyond the bounds of error correction ;)
robertzombie
Overbomber

If this law is enforced then they'll end up fining the whole of Britain!
aims
Overbomber

robertzombie wrote:If this law is enforced
You must be new here.

Welcome to the internet ;)
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Good luck, you bastards. They want to charge bands who put their own music on the net for free because they're scared a wave of Arctic Monkey groups will render Sony and Warner useless. They want to stop people from sharing music. Next thing you know they'll try and stop second-hand selling.

Well, a big FUCK YOU to the majors. If they want me, they can come and f**king well get me. Until then, I want to see our songs on p2p networks, until the world can hear us.

aims
Overbomber

Dark wrote:They want to charge bands who put their own music on the net for free because they're scared a wave of Arctic Monkey groups will render Sony and Warner useless.
Or so they want us to think.

My tin foil hat says that they're behind it to take advantage of the phenomena and quietly kill it off :von:
mh
Above the Chemist

Is this a joke?

We do have a Mr Ignorance - sorry Mingorance (the merciless...) mentioned in the article.
The EU is building these copyright laws into another, the European Intellectual Property Enforcement Directive, which will give even more powers to copyright owners to protect their creations.
Is this the same EU that has outlawed software patents?
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Mr Mingorance
:lol: :lol:

Load of old bollox.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
eotunun
Overbomber

At the Sao Paolo press conference Andrew mentioned:
"He cited the record co’ Warner, whose charge for a bands (for example, Ed) is 1 dollar for music (a track), Warner will want to pay the artist, barely 1 cent. "
So who are the thieves?
The record companies complain about bands searching other ways of distributing their music? Guess why.. The economical risc is left for the artist, the profit for the company. Nobody would do his work under cicumstances such as these, except the dummies made by starsearch and related crap.

The dummies who buy such crap are getting less, as it seems-another hype wearing off. (Hope I´m right with my observation..) Just like the cocain fueled brains of the media mafia seem unable to produce anything else than short lived hypes. And complain to their friend, the president or minister, when people don`t buy it anymore, and ask him to make a law to make people do. The customers may take a different approach to the problem: Demand back the money if you can`t play the CDs! That`ll hurt.. and after all, you bought a thing that makes music when you put it in a player, something a lot of CDs aren`t able to do anymore. While the money you paid them surely works.

This very evening there was a report on TV (ZDF) in germany where it was said that a great lot of illegal copies come from turkey (not only asia) where the brand-pirates mix the copies (for example clothes) into the stream of athentic products. Under the eyes of the police, who don`t mingle, as copies mean a lot of money (and tax). In turkey, copying is illegal, too.. The loss to the regular clothing indusry was estimated to be dozens of millions in the EU, costing an estimated 70000 Jobs in germany alone.. The music industiry suffers equal losses due to this. Making DRM a joke, as the laws are allready there, only there are countries that don`t give a f***.
This the corresponding article to the program. It is in german, but I know a lot of you speak german, so I post it anyway.
Last edited by eotunun on 24 May 2006, 01:27, edited 1 time in total.
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

As Tony Curtis once said Fcuk 'em and feed 'em fish
No idea what it really means but it feels right :twisted:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."