Bauhaus concert Review

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
9while9
Slight Overbomber
Location: Parts Unknown or Isle of Tonga (whichever you prefer).

(pretty sure this is right)

Setlist for DC:
Double Dare
In The Flat Field
God In an Alcove
She's In Parties
Adrenaline
Severance
Silent Hedges
In Fear Of Fear
Endless Summer Of The Damned
Rosegarden Funeral Of Sores
Stigmata Martyr
Ziggy Stardust

Ok all, here are some randoms thoughts and impressions of mine from the DC show.
It was at an outdoor venue, the seats were good the weather great. I was close enough
that I could throw a football and hit a musician on the stage ( but I do have a pretty good arm).

Bauhaus took the stage with David J standing in all black staring blankly at the crowd and
began to play feed back on his fretless bass to start Double Dare. Peter's voice amazing.
Mr. Ash got more sound out of that guitar than 5 or 6 piece that was NIN ( and I like NIN ).
And Kevin Haskins on drums, brilliant! I could barely look away for the whole performance.
I like the two new songs and was most impressed with "Endless Summer Of The Damned".
The song just had a great feel and has me chomping at the bit for the new album. Sadly the
performance was over far to quick and I'm hoping they tour after Europe to promote the
new album in some smaller more personable venues like I had the privilege to see them
in back in 98.

I was disappointed at how small the crowd was for Bauhaus. I did not expect a NIN size crowd for
them but. I talked to a couple to our left and they had never heard of Bauhaus. They were very
pleased with the performance and remarked that "This was the first time they had ever liked a so
called opening act and they frequent allot of concerts. An early twenties couple to our right asked "If we
knew who that was they were really good. and continued on.

NIN was worth a look. I enjoyed them having all but the current album. DarkAngel loved Bauhaus
and hated NIN with a passion. I did feel that even though I respect Trent's talents Bauhaus just
blows NIN away. But I am biased....

I have located some great mp3's and a vid of preconcert performances with Trent and Peter Murphy
doing each others songs. Awesome!!! If anyone is interested private message me.

Not my pic..not sure who to credit. Not DC I think, but looks identical to the show I saw. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

-Me, I'm inspired by my DarkAngel.
lisa_r2
Road Kill

8) Peter Murphy is a god full stop great review :) :innocent:
Get over yourself it's not all about you ;)
bananacamel
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Thanks for this, I saw them in Birmingham earlier this year, and they blew me away.

I can't wait 'till August 7th. :D

Cheers
I've got a mind like a poisonous fish...
mh
Above the Chemist

Yup, I'll second that. They are utterly mindblowing live. Miss them this year, and you'll likely miss one of the best gigs of your life.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
James Blast
Banned

Nice post Rick thankee.
I do find it shocking that those people at the concert had no idea about (the mighty) Bauhaus.

Ugly Americans! :twisted:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
DarkAngel

James Blast wrote:Nice post Rick thankee.
I do find it shocking that those people at the concert had no idea about (the mighty) Bauhaus.

Ugly Americans! :twisted:
You should have seen the NIN fans. Scary. Very Scary.
James Blast
Banned

I'm a NIN fan and I scare the bejayzuss outta masel! :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
DarkAngel

:) :D Really? Well these people were nothing like you - trust me. There were a lot of angry, big guys who appeared to become angrier as they sang along - gesticulating, throwing beer, acting as though they were hypnotized. It seemed like a fight could break out at anytime. :eek: :eek: :eek:
scotty
Overbomber

DarkAngel wrote::) :D Really? Well these people were nothing like you - trust me. There were a lot of angry, big guys who appeared to become angrier as they sang along - gesticulating, throwing beer, acting as though they were hypnotized. It seemed like a fight could break out at anytime. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Sounds like a McHeartlander meet :innocent: :lol:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
wild bill buttock
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

bananacamel wrote:Thanks for this, I saw them in Birmingham earlier this year, and they blew me away.
Me too.Brilliant.One of the best gigs I've ever seen.

NIN used to be an ace live band when I saw them in 94.But they were toss at Glasto in 2000(?) and I couldn't get tickets for their last tour,all the spooky kids had bought 'em.Then again NIN's last 2 albums have been desperate shi'ite.
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
James Blast
Banned

DarkAngel wrote:big guys who appeared to become angrier as they sang along - gesticulating, throwing beer, acting as though they were hypnotized
was I in America this week?

I forget things :|
~ Peter Steele
9while9
Slight Overbomber

Worth reading...

Down In It
posted by Michael Darpino at 11:12 AM on June 16, 2006

Boy, I've had one crazy busy week. So today I'm playing catch-up on concert reviews. First up TV on the Radio, Bauhaus, and Nine Inch Nails at Nissan Pavilion.

Before I knew Bauhaus were there, I wasn't going to attend this show. I was a huge NIN fan back in the Downward Spiral heyday, but I swore off seeing NIN live after seeing the two most perfect Nine Inch Nails shows there could ever be; the infamous Woodstock '94 'Mud'-set and a kick-ass one in Louisville that transformed Muhammad Ali Gymnasium into a charnel house of music inspired violence. When Trent took his band to large Arena level type shows in the mid-90's, I figured it would pretty much be the end of what makes his live shows really great. Sincerity, integrity, and emotional honesty. Which is pretty much what was lacking on Tuesday at Nissan Pavilion.

I ended up breaking my 10 year boycott on NIN shows because I got a free ticket for this one in the mail. It was promotional ticket giving me a perch on the lawn behind the pavilion. Somehow I managed to upgrade from the lawn (ie: concert siberia) to the pit (ie: best spot in the house). Which worked out nicely for me to see Bauhaus, who I have always wanted to catch and never have.

First up though was TV on the Radio who were in a word...lame. Sounding like shoegazer backed Fishbone - they were just a noisy mess. But some of the crowd seemed to dig it. I predict their 15 minutes of fame will expire sooner rather then later though.

Bauhaus took the stage with a tremendous guitar squeal from Daniel Ash that actually startled me. It sounded like a T-Rex eating a Jet Airplane. Pretty neat. Their set was frigging fantastic. The band's instruments sounded so great coming out of those giant arena speakers. They were tuned perfectly and thrashing it up. It was kind of surprising to hear what a complex racket those guys play on each song. Daniel Ash was really rock-starring it up wearing an albino-wookie fur vest, leather pants and Willy Wonka TV Room sunglasses. His glam image next to Peter Murphy's slowly disintegrating goth stoicism was a hilarious contrast.

Peter Murphy is a rock god, after seeing this show there is no denying it. He took the stage in some stuffy old gothic suit get-up and through the set removed peices of it til he was a bare-chested wild man. He reminded me of Robert Louis Stevenson's "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde." His antics on stage were masterful, using just about every colored spotlight on stage for a different dramatic effect. At one point he's crucified bathed in red, at another he's screaming into a blinding white spot from an inch away. The guy dances and moves like an evil yogi on acid. Just wild to watch. And his voice, that was the real treat. His deep goth tones cut through the bass and guitar fury like a howl from hell.

It was cool to see Bauhaus in this setting. Mainly because they didn't bring along any stage-show other than themselves and their music. No lavish sets to distract the eye like when they are headliners. This was Bauhaus stripped down to the basics and their music shined.

Nine Inch Nails on the other hand presented an extremely sophisticated stage set featuring one of the most incredible light shows I have ever seen. A huge chain-link fiber-optic light fence seperated the band from the crowd. Another huge bank of screens backed the band and the inter-play between the fence in front and the screens in back sandwiching the band was super cool to watch all night. Each song had an intricate and unique light/image sequence that was mind-blowing.

While I thought the light-show was great, I had a mixed reacton to the music. First off - the guitarist for the current NIN line-up is an annoying monkey-boy f**ker who should concentrate more on playing his instrument than doing crazy Jackie Chan-like moves with it. That guy ruined all but one of the songs from Pretty Hate Machine and all the songs off The Downward Spiral. The only times the guitar sounded right, were on the new songs which I assume he helped workshop with Trent and the songs off of Broken. The band played most of the songs off of the Broken EP and that was definitely the highlight of the show for me. It was the only time they sounded 100% into what they were playing and they put on a show of force that really did that awesome, angry EP justice.

The rest of the set-list was basically a greatest hits set, I think they played every single they have. Which was okay but a little boring. Mainly because Trent seemed like he was going through the motions on songs he sings over and over, ad nauseum. There was no soul in the music, no heart, no connection. The crowd of frat-boys and Jenny Jones Show goths loved it, and sang along enthusiastically but there seemed to be a lack of emotion that existed in The Downward Spiral days. I left the show with the impression that NIN have evolved from the great angst-vent band they used to be into a dark-tinged party band. A process which began when "Closer" shot into the stratosphere in '94.

I probably won't go see Nine Inch Nails live ever again after this show. It was fun, but didn't come close to the shows in the early 90's. Bauhaus was certainly worth it though. So who knows, if NIN dig up another awesome old opener then maybe. Any one know if Joy Division are talking reunion? Nahhh.

http://dc.metblogs.com/archives/2006/06 ... n_it.phtml
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

9while9
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:
DarkAngel wrote:big guys who appeared to become angrier as they sang along - gesticulating, throwing beer, acting as though they were hypnotized
was I in America this week?

I forget things :|
Can you believe she was afraid and with me of all people..

It's been my experience that if you can knock a guy out with
one punch the group usually steps aside. Only had one time that didn't
work. A guy came up behind me with a piece of lumber and let me have it
right in the temple. Two inch gash in the head only took me minute to
recoop but the police arrived and put a halt to things.

Awww, memories...