Gun Club

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
biggy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Now I love mark Lanegan (not it a bumming way) .... but every night when I sit and worship my Gun Club ticket signed by JLP I will shake my head and say "how the f**k could they call themselves Gun Club ?".
I can't wait to hear it, I'm sure it'll be superb but USE A DIFFERENT NAME FOR f**k'S SAKE !!

Having said that, Alice in Chains are brilliant with William singing & who'd have thought that ?
davedecay

Gun Klub?

Another Gun Club?

Ben Gunn Club?

Gunne Clubbe?
Batfish
Road Kill

James Blast wrote:The thing that made the Gun Club stand out from the pack was JLP's voice. Although the lyrics to For the Love of Ivy, do take something to be desired! :eek:
If I remember, the early Gun Club m*****n statement was to f*ck with the musical styles they played, and the "hunting for... down in the dark" and rebel flag stuff was part of that confrontation. That was part of the punk element. I only read that quite recently, and it previously always made me go ouch myself. And he was expecting americans to get this...

I'll always cherish the memories of the JLP Quartet and Mother Juno-era shows I saw around 85 - 88. Two very different bands and two very different Jeffrey Lee's.
Badlander
Overbomber

Gun Culture Club.

Another rock mutation. :von:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Badlander wrote:So they're so good, you'd like them to play almost exclusively covers ? :innocent:
Well, obviously not, but those particular songs would make a good set brilliant. :lol:
Motz wrote:Without Andrew to boss them around, they'd probably be playing the songs which became early Mish/Ghost Dance stuff. You'd probably enjoy it, but it wouldn't be a Sisters show :|
Well, the songs were written to be Sisters tracks. To be honest, a Sisters show with Serpent's Kiss, Garden Of Delight, Where Spirits Fly, and all that, along with Poison Door (and those covers :innocent:) would be a feckin' great gig.
Motz wrote:A gig without Ribbons and Romeo Down? It doesn't bear thinking about :cry:
Romeo Down, okay. Perhaps they could try that. But Ribbons? Nah.. WYDSM any day.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

hauling this back on topic.... ;)

i never really got into the gun club. i tried a couple of albums but didnt really "get it".

that was a good few years ago now though, so maybe my tastes have changed...? :)

what would be the best gun club album to "get", as a starting point? :innocent: :D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
James Blast
Banned

I only have The Fire of Love, Miami, The Las Vegas Story and Mother Juno, all on cassette I'm afraid. I'd recommend The Las Vegas Story, but they're all rather spiffing.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
davedecay

best song: Sex Beat
radiojamaica
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:I only have The Fire of Love, Miami, The Las Vegas Story and Mother Juno, all on cassette I'm afraid. I'd recommend The Las Vegas Story, but they're all rather spiffing.
Then we have the same Gun Club audio collection, Blast ... except that I have vinyl or cd copies and Lucky Jim instead of Mother Juno and of course some live LP's & the freshly released dvd :wink:

I would recommend Miami because it has some of my faves on it, Mother of Earth & Carry Home, but they're all great fun :notworthy:

Jeffrey Lee Pierce's solo albums are pretty good too. Wildweed (with Clock DVA's rhythm section ) from 85 is mighty fine & don't forget about his blues outfit Ramblin' Jeffrey Lee & Cypress Grove with Willie Love 8)
in dub we trust
Debaser
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:hauling this back on topic.... ;)
OOOh, you didn't need to bother, not on my account...I was just passing on some goss that I thought some of you might be interested in.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
biggy

Quiff Boy wrote:hauling this back on topic.... ;)

i never really got into the gun club. i tried a couple of albums but didnt really "get it".

that was a good few years ago now though, so maybe my tastes have changed...? :)

what would be the best gun club album to "get", as a starting point? :innocent: :D
Fire of love
Las Vegas story
Miami

in that order.
Love ? Love is just f**king with a kiss thrown in !!!
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

radiojamaica wrote:
James Blast wrote:I only have The Fire of Love, Miami, The Las Vegas Story and Mother Juno, all on cassette I'm afraid. I'd recommend The Las Vegas Story, but they're all rather spiffing.
Then we have the same Gun Club audio collection, Blast ... except that I have vinyl or cd copies and Lucky Jim instead of Mother Juno and of course some live LP's & the freshly released dvd :wink:

I would recommend Miami because it has some of my faves on it, Mother of Earth & Carry Home, but they're all great fun :notworthy:

Jeffrey Lee Pierce's solo albums are pretty good too. Wildweed (with Clock DVA's rhythm section ) from 85 is mighty fine & don't forget about his blues outfit Ramblin' Jeffrey Lee & Cypress Grove with Willie Love 8)

Mother of earth is probably their finest song , though i d start with fire of love, just for the love of Ivy..