and your favorite sisters gig???

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
pikkrong
Overbomber

no one mentioned Austin 2006 and not even Hamburg 2006? :)
do i drive
or am i driven
radiojamaica
Overbomber

mh wrote:
radiojamaica wrote:and the worst:
1. Pukkelpop 2001 (the first time I witnessed the nu millenium Sisters and they made me run :evil: )
Define what you mean by "run" here, please.

There are two interpretations.
well, turning my back to the girls and getting something to drink was about it. No weird stuff. No sir.
in dub we trust
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Ahh - time to gloat again...

The Fenton, 1996 ;D
Dan
Overbomber

Josephs Well 2005.
Hamburg 1990.
Ramone
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Gotta go old school I'm afraid .. we're gonna go way back ..through the mists of time (get on with it)..ok, here goes:

Royal Court Liverpool : October 1984 "Black October tour"( Ist time I saw them, and the one of the best)

York Racecourse 1984 : Seeing them in daylight with out smoke was ..bizzare
- Not so much a 'great gig' more just 'the experience'

First and last and Always tour : 1985

Coventry, Sheffield, Liverpool and Leeds (where the place was bouncing).

Worst show : Wembley 1990. Too little too late plus Tony James and Bricheno..nuff sed. They shouldn't play barns like that place.
"It was great that Kurt Cobain shot himself when he did..cos without that ,we'd have no Foo Fighters today" :Ramone, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever. November 2008
bookish
Road Kill

I'm surprised no-one mentioned the Birmingham NEC in errrm 94(?).

Fantastic gig. In an idle moment I wrote down my ideal set-list and the first half matched this gig exactly.
jenzi-benzi

I cannot remember many of my shows, but Tilburg 2005, Hamburg, Madrid and Budapest 2006 are definitly stored in my brain.... ;D
Delilah

Joseph's Well 2005, Krakow and Budapest 2006
streamline
Slight Overbomber

bookish wrote:I'm surprised no-one mentioned the Birmingham NEC in errrm 94(?).
I'd vote for both of the NEC gigs (1992 and 1993) - both could be described as "Top Nights Out".

Mind you the atmosphere (and anticipation) at both the Wembley gigs was electric as was hearing the Floodland material for the first time.

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
sister of mercedes
Road Kill

i would say alive festival in st vith and paris they where both special for me st vith becouse it was my first time and paris becouse i saw there some real cool guys 8) :wink:
Pista
Cureboi

April 85 in Brighton (Top Rank) has to be the one (although the Black October one in 84 comes close)

Birmingham NEC (June 92 ) was mind blowing, but that might have had something to do with the whiz.

Best for venue= Brixton Academy (97).
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ramone mentions Leeds 85. Odd that, IMO, on the boot that gig sounds really flat and dull. Go figure. :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Badlander
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Ramone mentions Leeds 85. Odd that, IMO, on the boot that gig sounds really flat and dull. Go figure. :lol:
Hazy memory perhaps ? That was a loooooooong time ago. :von:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Ramone

Bootlegs are not a fair representation of a show; being there is the only true perspective for a show. When I described the gig as 'bouncing' it was in reference to the audience. It was of the one of the only SOM shows I've attended where the crowd cut loose and everyone seemed to be dancing. Normally at shows, as you may well know, it's only the first few rows who appear to actually enjoy the show. The rest prefer to keep up 'just stand there and look bored ' - no wonder goths always got a bad rap.

In hindsight, it was a hometown show, goth was 'the music scene' (along with the Simths scene) in alot of universities and the Sisters where the Kings of all media ( sorry Howard) and it was combination of all these elements that made the show come alive. Bootlegs - I s**t 'em. The only way to experience the Sisters is in the flesh, not huddled around some tiny cassette player.

Yes, the Sisters have played some huge gigs - but not all in big places! The Liverpool Royal Court shows in '84 - '85 and the Sheffield Uni gig in 1985 as examples. But, in my opinion, they should of never have taken the step up to ''arena' shows. They lost their edge and never got it back.

(cat amongst the pidgeons time) They still have to go along way to beating the Mishun shows at The Ritz in Manchester and the Rock City nights!!
"It was great that Kurt Cobain shot himself when he did..cos without that ,we'd have no Foo Fighters today" :Ramone, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever. November 2008
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ramone wrote:Bootlegs are not a fair representation of a show; being there is the only true perspective for a show.
Oh, agreed, totally. 8)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

Other thing with boots is that they are generally recoded from 1 place & that is not always going to be the best place (unless it is out of the desk).
I remember the days of anally retentive bouncers taking any sort of recording devices away on the door.

The Mish gigs were very good on the Crusade tour. I remember being a little disappointed by songs like Wake & when I saw it live, it knocked me for 6.

Saw them in a little place in Horsham (Champagne's) in a warm up for Reading. No holding back there.
That was awesome. I got the boot & it sounds dreadful.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
_emma_
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
Ramone wrote:Bootlegs are not a fair representation of a show; being there is the only true perspective for a show.
Oh, agreed, totally. 8)
Same here. I've been to some gigs that felt absolutely amazing while I was there, and then the recording felt absolutely... embarassing, to say the least. :lol: NEVER the other way round. A recording can only feel almost as good as the original gig, but it can never surpass it.
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

jenzi-benzi wrote:I cannot remember many of my shows, but Tilburg 2005, Hamburg, Madrid and Budapest 2006 are definitly stored in my brain.... ;D
yes, Madrid 2006 was stunking!!
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
snowey

Ramone wrote:
(cat amongst the pidgeons time) They still have to go along way to beating the Mishun shows at The Ritz in Manchester and the Rock City nights!!
Nothing will beat Rosetta at The Hare and Hounds in Brighton circa 91. :innocent: :lol:

But back to the sisters:

1. Leeds 05
(just a totally hat stand day out)

2. Paris 06
(everything about this day was great, everyone who went the gig,
the band, the drinks afterwards and QB's PM the week after :D )

3. Wembley 1990 (1st night)
(1st a visit to Fulham to watch Tranmere then onto our 1st sisters gig,
and the week before arranging for the Euston-Liverpool sleeper
train to make an additional stop at Wembley Central to pick up the
100+ sisters fans back to Liverpool, strange that only myself and the
better half were waiting at the station :innocent: )
hellboy69

Wembley, London, 1990 (both nights)

Reading Festival, 1991

NEC, Birmingham, 1992

The Forum, London, (First night, Smoke & Mirrors) 2003

Thanks girls :notworthy:
Mokarran
Road Kill

Wembley 2000 was the first for me too, and I think they handled the scale pretty well. Von himself once said that The Sisters is 'not a club band', but I'd say the various incarnations are proven at everything from mega festival to club level (and didn't they play a fan's front room?).

First and Last and Always, with its fanfare intro, is a damn fine opener for the bigger venue, while the sleazy guitars of The Reptile House slither agreeably up the spine in the mid-to-small size dive. My favourite was Brixton (2003? 2004?), lost in a vortex of sound and colour, loads of beautiful goth girls, and in confirmed residence above the chemist. I wish I had been able to see the earlier incarnations, but I wasn't a very cool 14-year-old. Saw the Stranglers at 15, though... :)

Von's looking pretty sharp for his years, and seems to be enjoying himself. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of him. A good international outrage/crisis seems to energise him, so we can be sure of a big tour when the Apocalypse looms. 8)

Mokarran
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Josephs Well 2005
Nec 1992
Leeds Poly 1991
Forum (13th) 1998

Worst - Manc Apollo 97 and Leeds 06.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Crystal_Methedrine
Road Kill

28/06/2002 Bex
14/04/2006 Paris