Original Version of "Under the Gun"

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
smiscandlon
Overbomber

bookish wrote:Now if you want a rubbish song I found and mp3 of 'You could be the one' online a while back. *That* must be the Sisters' lowest ebb.
I think I like you.
анархия
Badlander
Overbomber

bookish wrote: Now if you want a rubbish song I found and mp3 of 'You could be the one' online a while back. *That* must be the Sisters' lowest ebb.
Nah, that's the first single. ;D

But You could be the one is damn close. :innocent:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
mh
Above the Chemist

bookish wrote:Now if you want a rubbish song I found and mp3 of 'You could be the one' online a while back. *That* must be the Sisters' lowest ebb.
Heathen.

Next of all you'll be saying you don't like Adrenochrome. :twisted:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
christophe
Overbomber

:lol: It is one of my favorites :lol:
and UTG comes close behind it.
Another Shade of You.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

christophe wrote:
:lol: It is one of my favorites :lol:
and UTG comes close behind it.
:lol: :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Petseri
Overbomber

smiscandlon wrote:
I think I like you.
Ibid. :notworthy:

Mind you, you may feel a sharp pain in your back from a certain James Blast. He is a good man :notworthy: but his like of this song and dislike of ABBA prove that he indeed is fallible. :innocent:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

No fallibility there. YCBTO is fab, ABBA are sh!te. ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Petseri
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:No fallibility there. YCBTO is fab, ABBA are sh!te. ;D
Oh no! The condition is contagious! :P
Badlander
Overbomber

Petseri wrote:
Then I'm half sick. Both YCBTO and Abba suck big time. :twisted:
mh
Above the Chemist

Petseri wrote:
Ah got th' Plague!!!!
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Petseri
Overbomber

mh wrote:
Petseri wrote:
Ah got th' Plague!!!!
Silver lining: once the inflicted start dropping like flies, the Blast-ed opinion will be further diluted. :innocent:
James Blast
Banned

Ah-a! so here is the post where the mighty YCBTO is being dissed and ABBA bigged-up.
I'm feeling very mellow after a top weekend in Leeds, so I'll let this one pass.

dig? :evil: :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
CommodoreRock
Amphetamine Filth

Badlander wrote:
mh wrote: I don't think Von is quite the type to do a "Page/Plant" on stuff.
It's not that serious I guess, and he did it only once after all. Led Zep made a living out of it. Still... It is a cover in my book. Law's for lawyers (today's words of wisdom ;D ) and I'm not one of them, not interested. :von:

I only have the CD single. Is the 7" any different ? Different pressings ?
Good points all. Zeppelin did this quite often, borrowing lyrics from the blues (for which the argument could be made that they are public domain anyway because the bluesmen plagiarised from each other on a regular basis anyway). One shining example that comes to mind is "Boogie With Stu" which was Ritchie Valens' "Ooh My Head." They give a songwriting credit to Mrs. Valens, Ritchie's mother I believe.

Another example is "Hats Off to Roy Harper" is a song written mostly by Bukka White called "Shake 'em on Down." The rest apparently comes from Oscar Woods' "Lone Wolf Blues."
lachert
Overbomber

did sisters give a songwriting credit to deep purple for that soundcheck? did deep purple give a songwriting credit to ricky nelson? did ricky nelson give a songwriting credit to gershwin? did gershwin give a songwriting credit to all that blue people? :wink: :lol:

http://rapidshare.de/files/26219811/ric ... e.mp3.html
long live rock'n'roll
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

In my opinion all this fuss about who did what and if what you do is based on something else who owns the right to it is utter garbage and art should pretty much be left to evolve on its own right and people should be less self-important about credits. What matters is the end result.
So what if one takes a crap song made by somebody and makes it into something quite extraordinary?

People are so caught up in these make-believe value-systems of theirs that they've lost all sight of reality and humanity and rather spend a lifetime arguing about nonsensical theoretical topics that are in obvious conflict with the ways things work than deal with realities that actually would have a real impact on their lives and others'.

Yes, everything one does is based on something he has experienced in the world. No, that doesn't make everything we do a product of plagiarism. It just means we are sentient beings part of a system and its processes which our lives are based upon. We can face that everything meaningful is interconnected, or the alternative is that we hide inside our own heads "imagining" "new" things. i prefer the first. i generally don't give a f**k about anyone's imaginings, including my own.

Gabba gabba hey!
we've got beer and we've got fuel
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

I was going to pretty much write what itnAklipse wrote, but there's no point now, so I'll just say I agree with itnAklipse.
Badlander
Overbomber

itnAklipse wrote: So what if one takes a crap song made by somebody and makes it into something quite extraordinary?
In that case Billie Hugues' Two worlds apart is not a crap song. It was not written by a "somebody" but by a respectale recording artist. Von did not turn it into "something quite extraordinary" but into a rather fine song, that's all. He certainly didn't turn it into something so different that no one can identify the source of his inspiration. Quite the opposite in fact.

And we were not discussing inspiration and imagination in general, but only this one song. 8)
canon docre
Overbomber

itnAklipse wrote:In my opinion all this fuss about who did what and if what you do is based on something else who owns the right to it is utter garbage and art should pretty much be left to evolve on its own right and people should be less self-important about credits. What matters is the end result.
Yeah! And we all take each other by the hands and sing and dance like one big family. :lol:

Pop Music has nothing to do with art - it's a f**king industry.
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

regardless of who wrote what, and why, its still a very silly song ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Kurbythegreat
Amphetamine Filth

wow. :eek: You learn somethin' new every day. Still a great song IMO.
"We left you sleeping. Now we are sleeping with you. Don't wake up."
Delilah
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I didn't realise UTG was a cover either! The original version sounds very similar to TSOM, but I still prefer Eldritch's and Nunn's interpretation. And the video was so cute!!! :D
bananacamel
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Badlander wrote:
canon docre wrote: Look on your Under the gun single. It should say: "written by: : Hughes, Seeman & Eldritch." *Correct?[/size]
Actually there's nothing on the single except "Produced by Hugues and Eldritch". Which for years led me to think it was an original song...

The official site sez : "This version © 1993. Words by Andrew Eldritch and Roxanne Seeman, Music by Billie Hughes."
and "shot". :innocent:
I've checked the 12" and the CD and they both say Hughs/Seeman/Eldritch, it says it on the CD insert, not the disc.

I always wondered who Hughs and Seeman were. Cool & Thanks for the info
I've got a mind like a poisonous fish...
Gimme_The_Ring
Amphetamine Filth

You can add my name to the list of people who didn't know it was a cover. :eek: