Favourite Sisters Era?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.

Favourite Era?

1981 - 1983
22%
1984 - 1985
40%
1990 - 1997
12%
1998 - 2003
5%
2003 - Current
12%
(added) 1986 - 1989
11%

Total votes: 130
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

What's wrong with Eldo solo then ;D Reptile House was all his work too, I thought?

All the best bits of Sisters ever came out of his hands 8)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
smileygoffs
Road Kill

1984-1985......obviously......with a preference for the Bruhn/Bricheno/James era as well...;-)
mh
Above the Chemist

Obviousman wrote:What's wrong with Eldo solo then ;D Reptile House was all his work too, I thought?

Without Gary and Craig it ain't the Sisters. It's Von and his backing band trading under the name of his old band, and it can be mighty fine, but it's not, like, the Sisters. The chords, arrangements and all the rest may have come from Von, but the sound and style was a band thing.

It's like if Pete Murphy had released his solo stuff under the name "Bauhaus".
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Ah, I just think every single one of them contributed to it all, but after a certain time, :von: was quite sure which way he wanted to go, and then just made it all go that way?

But it's quite clear you're referring to it all being a fan of a certain era, am I mistaken? :D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
smileygoffs
Road Kill

MH....I agree with you......it is more and more turning into Von and his backing band......The grand old Anrew Eldritch Experience.. and I certainly am not that impressed..especially not compared to previous incarnations of the band..
mh
Above the Chemist

Obviousman wrote:But it's quite clear you're referring to it all being a fan of a certain era, am I mistaken? :D
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: You're quite correct. But I'm also a fan of the other eras, and I do think there were some extremely good B sides round about 1990. ;D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
mh
Above the Chemist

smileygoffs wrote:and I certainly am not that impressed..especially not compared to previous incarnations of the band..
Well, I wouldn't go quite that far, now.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

The next one, of course. You know, the techno years. :von: :twisted:

Of times past, probably 98-03, hard as hell sound with (initially) vocals to match. 8) Though the NEC92 gig remains the benchmark.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

mh wrote:
Obviousman wrote:What's wrong with Eldo solo then ;D Reptile House was all his work too, I thought?

Without Gary and Craig it ain't the Sisters. It's Von and his backing band trading under the name of his old band, and it can be mighty fine, but it's not, like, the Sisters. The chords, arrangements and all the rest may have come from Von, but the sound and style was a band thing.

It's like if Pete Murphy had released his solo stuff under the name "Bauhaus".
Don't forget the good Doctor! He makes a big part of the Girls' sound!
"as we walk on the floodland"
Badlander
Overbomber

Planet Dave wrote:The next one, of course. You know, the techno years. :von: :twisted:
I can see it has a number of supporters, but I don't see it coming any time soon. :P :von:

Thank God for that. :notworthy: :innocent: ;D
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Badlander wrote:Thank God for that. :notworthy: :innocent: ;D
Ahh, you know you'd love it Eric. :wink: :von:

BTW, Brussels is on its way. :innocent: 8)
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
vicus
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

The Gary Marx-Era.
And 1990/91.
And Hamburg 2006. ;D

Hey, now I'm Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
Janko
Road Kill

WTF?!

Ofcourse that Patricia period was the best...

GIVING GROUD man...

Giving Ground!!!

It was the peak.
THE CURE

PS

Emily Perkins, I Will Love You Till I Die.
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

Badlander wrote:
stefanmoermans wrote:well, definitely the 84-85 area, including the alice stuff and so on.
I suggest you take a look at your EP collection and see what year Alice was released. :P
Or maybe you think there should be no distinction between the 81-83 and 84-85 eras ? :?:
well, I just got last week the newcastle recoding from '85. Let's say that alsmost a perfectt setlist. But I've had to create my own setlist it would definitely be longer (about double the time :innocent: ) and contain some of the newer stuff also. ;D
MUSICA È
Harvey Winston
Amphetamine Filth

easy, 81-83

haven't listened to any stuff since floodland (which I thought was a little weak). Anything since then worth a go?
psichonaut
Overbomber

i think the 84/85 era was the best ever....better sound live, good shows and some good lyric ;D
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
xfloorshowx
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Top releases Reptile House & Alice/Floorshow...

Top performances: The way Floorshow was played at the gigs in 83 beats everything, the medley in Amsterdam 280883 was great... whole gigs was at it's peak during the Black October tour in 84... Giving Ground was great at the puppet show in 93...

I'll be boring and vote for 81-83 :D
Kutan

1984-1985 as FALAA literally is the best record I have heard so far. 81-83 also great, but still...
Dr. Moody

voted 90-97 I saw a lot of great gigs in that era and they left a lasting impression also think it was the last time they felt in any way vital, still enjoy the shows but now it's just not the same, would dearly have loved to go to a 1984 gig, preferably Nijmegen.
;D
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Dr. Moody wrote:voted 90-97 I saw a lot of great gigs in that era and they left a lasting impression also think it was the last time they felt in any way vital, still enjoy the shows but now it's just not the same, would dearly have loved to go to a 1984 gig, preferably Nijmegen.
;D
I'm still working on my time machine, doctor... but first trip planned is the Nijmegen 84 gig! You're very welcome to join in ;D (second would be the Golden Summernight Festival in sept 84 when Zappa headlined) :innocent:

My fave' era is the 84-85 one, especially 84 is legendary when talking about live performances!
When it comes to recorded stuff it should be the first 3 years with the sublime collection of singles Alice/Floorshow & Temple/Heartland & the best of the best Reptile House ep...

... the nineties gigs were freakin' great too...

... hmm, I think I want it all :innocent:
in dub we trust
Dr. Moody

I still want more too. Might have to build a chemical time machine and just play the tape, close my eyes and shout for a song or two. :wink:
Floodland is the best record though. runs for cover......(in the temple of love maybe)

;D
Josch
Road Kill

I love the 1984/85 era. The sound was very good, they played very proper and you can hear that they had fun (sometimes).
I don´t favourite the actual era cause the sound isn´t as proper as it should be. I like the songs and the shows, but the sound is mostly not very well.
Prescott

1990-1997 to me is the most intriguing, so that's what won my vote. Although the 84-85 line-up and the Pearson/Sheehan/Eldritch line-ups were the tightest bands to be called TSOM. Floodland is a masterpiece, yet again some of the recent songs are some of their best, like Crash And Burn and W.A.T.S., Susanne.

I think the most interesting stuff was done between 1990 and 1997, although it may not have all been released as Sisters stuff. And the energy and momentum live during those years, 1996 - 2001 to be exact though, I think was the best overall.

Many have and will disagree though, I'm certain.
"... because we're that kind of people."
frederik

Josch wrote:I love the 1984/85 era. The sound was very good, they played very proper and you can hear that they had fun (sometimes).
I don´t favourite the actual era cause the sound isn´t as proper as it should be. I like the songs and the shows, but the sound is mostly not very well.
seconded!
Timmac
Road Kill

Has to be 84/85 for me. On record "Body And Soul" through to "FALAA", what's not to like? And the gigs look like being a right old laugh too. A bit of refinement from the guitar, if not face and voice, of Hussey.

I've read disparaging comments about "Body" on here - is it unpopular?

Second is 81/83 for "Alice" and "Heartland" and "The Reptile House".