Wayne's / Sisters Guitar Gear

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

Ah! Grott Music in Eldon Square - many a happy day spent buying obscure bits 'n' bobs...

Is it still there?
Road Kill

@ Slicepack

As far as I'm aware, yes. I'll check at lunchtime and let you know.

Used to be in the Handyside arcade before that got pulled down - think thats where the Grott name came from, certainly was grotty!

Fond memories - loads of Goth girls :D
Hic
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

The Handyside was a great place to hang out - they knocked down The Mayfair as well didn't they? Friday & Saturday Rock Nights - now the women who used to attend those evenings.....kids today....mutter.....mutter.....
Road Kill

Spot on.

The Mayfair is now called The Gate and houses what was the Odeon from Pilgrim Street (11 screens) and a multitude of small gift outlets.

Many a brilliant night spent at the Mayfair and the after show parties - all just a fading memory.

The smell of Nivea hairspray on a passing luvly brings it all back (the favoured spray for back-combers and crimpers everywhere) :wink:
Hic
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

If I remember rightly there was just as much Ozone-destroying hairsprayage occurring in the Gents as in the Ladies' loos.

The women were exceptional weren't they?
Slight Overbomber

I saw an 8 string bass (a Washburn) in a similar shop in Edinburgh about 10 years ago.

I've since seen one in Bristol's Sound Control, a 'Sketchler' or what ever they call that mid price range they flood their stores with. So they must be back in production

Played like a dog.

Once tuned our 12 string stays in tune and sound really good
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
JJMC
Road Kill

Oh yes. If SARS was around in those days, the number of people coming out of the loos hacking and coughing would have sent a wave of face- mask panic buying!

The girls are now ladies and most still are. Having been lucky enough to watch many get ready in the morning, the precision as to how the make up was applied, how the hair should look and what they should smell like was a brilliant start to any day. SOL (S*x On Legs).

Great days.
Hic
JJMC
Road Kill

I strum me g string too hard (Oh Matron! :wink: )
Hic
JJMC
Road Kill

@Slicepack

Grotts gone!

Must still be somewhere in Newcastle - I can feel a hunt coming on.
Hic
allfear
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

John Entwistle played an 8 String Bass and and again as did stanley clarke, as for leckky 12 stings, the dont all go out of tine, I was quit impressed how stable this burns was, for years though Ive had an old 70s EKO 12 acoustic with a pick up and through the Korg A3 sounds great in ye oldie studio.

Best

Matt
allfear
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

that newcastle guitar shop wasnt called spenders (named after the TV show that is was used for filming) they had some great stuff, I enjoyed looking in that shop while our van was being broken in to!!!

Matt
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

I remember that shop - it was (at the time) a bit of a swizz in so much as they had lots of ropey old vintage guitars none of which were for sale. There was Windows, Grott Music and Sound City (who used to supply Necastle NWBHM bands with second hand gear until they went all corporate).
Road Kill

Spenders, used for filming during he series of the same name (Jimmy Nail), next door to Phaze clothing.

Phaze clothing=Goth Clothes=Goth females mmm :wink:
Hic
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

Spoke to Mister Huss last night

The 12 string was indeed an Aria Pro II.

Originally brown till he painted it black.

Sadly it got stolen a few years back, so God knows where it is now!
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

ahem.
Gary Marx wrote:...the legendary Surfin Merb whose name can be seen written along the neck of my anacoda guitar on the Whistle Test footage as a makeshift tribute to my long term side-kick (he was laid up with appendicitis or some such thing and missed the BBC recording).

Wayne took my lead and scrawled something on the neck of his guitar as well which I can't recall, but probably included reference to sex, drugs and rock'n'roll.
;) :D :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?