A New Release Of Sorts...

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Perhaps. But it was loosely-goth compilation CDs that got me into make of the bands I'm in. But that one had the sense to claim its contents as "goth, alternative and indie guitar". So it could put Black Sabbath and The House Of Love on if it wanted.
Perki
Amphetamine Filth

Dark wrote:Perhaps. But it was loosely-goth compilation CDs that got me into make of the bands I'm in. But that one had the sense to claim its contents as "goth, alternative and indie guitar". So it could put Black Sabbath and The House Of Love on if it wanted.
"Dark Side Of The 80s"? :lol:

If so, got me into the Sisters too.
aims
Overbomber

deadagain wrote:in what way are Love N Rockets 'goth'?!
In the 'better than most other things' way, of course :innocent:
9while9
Slight Overbomber
Location: Parts Unknown or Isle of Tonga (whichever you prefer).

Motz wrote:
deadagain wrote:in what way are Love N Rockets 'goth'?!
In the 'better than most other things' way, of course :innocent:
Indeed....... 8)
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

-Me, I'm inspired by my DarkAngel.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Perki wrote:
Dark wrote:Perhaps. But it was loosely-goth compilation CDs that got me into make of the bands I'm in. But that one had the sense to claim its contents as "goth, alternative and indie guitar". So it could put Black Sabbath and The House Of Love on if it wanted.

That's the one. ;D

My English teacher recommended it to me when I was 13.
Perki
Amphetamine Filth

Dark wrote:
Perki wrote:

That's the one. ;D

My English teacher recommended it to me when I was 13.
Came across it in a library when I was 12. I've got 1 year on you :innocent:
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

I personally think its a great compilation (missing rosetta stone sadly).

The smatterings of industrial seem good. You would hear them at a goth club and it gives a good indiction of other branches of the gothic tree to somone that might be unfamilar with the multiple subgenres (deathrock, backcave, post-punk, darkwave, trad-goth, electro goth blah blah etc etc).

I also reckon that :von: is finally coming to terms with his fan base. A lot of the people I know that saw the astoria show after having seen the sisters live in the past remarked that he was being unabusive, I think I even got a smile :eek: even in my eyeliner! And he took his bow at the end. I think he may have accepted the black clad clan, like the m*****n and bauhaus eventually did.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
aims
Overbomber

Maisey wrote:I personally think its a great compilation (missing rosetta stone sadly).
No comment.

Ramone? :innocent:
deadagain
Banned

My initial comments were perhaps a tad harsh... I just get so peed off with alot of these compilations cos they don't ever take risks, they generally choose the most commercial goth tracks and then pad out the rest with stuff which really isn't remotely 'goth' at all. I think most of these comps are a wasted opportunity and rarely break the mold or challenge the listener - the best (IMHO) I think are Nocturnal and Mick Mercer's Stigmata Martyr/Gothic Rock.

I'd love to buy a 4dvd boxed set of goth/alternative videos, but don't think I'll shell out for a bland 3cd compilation just to get the additional single dvd!
Is this the place I used to know as Fatherland?
CommodoreRock
Amphetamine Filth

It IS a Rhino compilation, the same folks who put together that wonderful "Left of the Dial: Music That Mattered From The Decade That Didn't" comp with many of the bands from 80s college radio and featured on MTV's Postmodern and 120 Minutes back in the day. Rhino is a step above many of the others. Many of these bands might not be considered "goth," assuming that term actually has any real meaning in terms of describing a music genre (any more than emo does). Everyone will have their own "goth or not goth" radar. Some compilations I've seen have included Iggy Pop or Tom Verlaine (of Television) because a certain song might have fit in the vein or the mood of other more readily accepted goth bands. While I don't as strongly abhor the term as Eldritch, I think it is best left for dead. That said, I have definite ideas of what it is if I have to define it. I like a good moody compilation that contains things like The Chameleons and Danse Society and Red Lorry Yellow Lorry. I don't think it is a good thing to be so wrapped up in tying specific bands to goth but rather to say that "goth" atmosphere can be found in music that is not specifically goth. Bands like My Bloody Valentine, Ride or Curve. Even Sonic Youth. I prefer Einsturzende Neubauten's more structured music as on Haus der Luge, and I think there's alot of stuff on there that I would want to hear alongside The Sisters or Cocteau Twins. I even think there is a "gothic" element to certain songs by Aussie bands like The Church, Hoodoo Gurus, Midnight Oil or Hunters and Collectors. I don't know. Maybe I'm just misinformed, but I think this is a fine compilation. A good eye opener for goffs who smear makeup all over their faces and rock out to Korn and Slipknot.