Now that i've seen The Stooges live...

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

kids, you know...

I saw Iggy & The Stooges live this weekend @ Lowlands Festival in the Netherlands.

Sorry to say, but this was far out the best gig i've ever seen. I almost had to cry. They were loud, enthusiastic, dangerous. Iggy was a real bouncing dog and cried out loud as if he was 21.

I mean, even IF Iggy and his band do it for the money, it's still a believeable act and very urgent.

In the end, after seeing Iggy and the f**king stooges, the godfathers of punkrock, i think it's a waste of our money seeing this bold, uncaring sir in his very own mist called Andrew Eldritch.

Now, isn't AE and his iffy machine not just a murky shadow of what coul've been? And, on this very day, recalling what i've seen in Tilburg and Berlin the last years from The Sisters live, it's such a shame. Sisters fooling you and me more than ever and it's stupid i realize it after seeing The Stooges.

Positivism, raw power, energy, honesty: i saw anything packed in one live act in a way i will never ever can defend a Sisters gig anymore, where AE is not even whispering ONE word to his audience.

I know he was never a Glenn Medeiros or audience thriller like Simon LeBon, but hey a LITTLE respect for us, his fans.

Let's raise our fist for Iggy and the Asheton bros, not the cashing crummy halfg*th that recrutes two teens and a drum machine, karaokeing This Corrosion. Really, this is my conclusion. I think i lost my religion definitely.

Sisters: fine albums, no, brilliant, but as a live-act in 2006 One Big Shame.

I almost want to say: let's stop the support and hope AE feels sorry about it and give enough power to the SISTERS UNITED TOUR in 2007.
Badlander
Overbomber

dinky daisy wrote:Sorry to say, but this was far out the best gig i've ever seen. I almost had to cry. They were loud, enthusiastic, dangerous. Iggy was a real bouncing dog and cried out loud as if he was 21.
You know, I'm not surprised at all : these are the f**king Stooges you're talking about after all ! :twisted:

But I still think you're being very unfair to the Girls. You can appreciate both bands at the same time, but not necessarily in the same way. 8)
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I've never had anything other than a stonking experience at a Sisters gig.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

A waste of money? I think not! Certainly not!

Your enthousiasm about Iggy is a nice read but why comparing it to the bold one and his girls?

To me every Sisters gig is an experience like nothing else and I got it confirmed again twice this year. I can enjoy other bands as well but it's always a less experience than a girls gig.
Before every gig I get this funny feeling in my stomache and the gig itself is always the climax of weeks of feelings of enjoyment because I'm going to this band again that I love so much. So don't tell me I'm fooled!
I know the bold one is different and I love him for that! I never felt fooled after a gig. If you did it took you a long time to realize that.

I guess you'd better stay at home next time the Sisters are in town and watch the Stooges 2006 on a dvd you will be able to get sooner or later.
Become a real Stooges fan, join a forum and get tears in your eyes again so you can stop complaining about the Sisters...
"as we walk on the floodland"
limur
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I've seen Iggy Pop twice. Once by design, I thouroughly enjoyed it and once as support, to Green Day, and Iggy blew Green Day completely off the stage (they were terrible).

I wouldn't pay good money to see him again though. I spent most of his set waiting for The Passenger.

Top guy, decent act and David Bowie seems to like him. Not a patch on TSOM though, IMO (even if they had a bad day).
...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...

Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk
davedecay
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

two words:

real drummer. :D
Mokarran
Road Kill

Iggy is God, but even he's played a few duff gigs in his time.

Mokarran
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Brick by Brick tour(?) nae bad

Canny compare to the Sissies but I like your passion :D
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
czuczu
Overbomber

Was Brick By Brick in 91? He headlined Reading same weekend asd the Sissies - was very good :)
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

dinky daisy Do you think that the tilburg gig wasn´t good????

i was there and it was brilliant and 2 days after in Lokeren festival was much better...

i wasn´t in Berlin this year but in other cityes yes and it was stonking!!

i respect your opinion about IGGY and the.... but i think that you´re completely wrong!

I´d like to see Iggy and the.... in a tour whit almost 60 gigs in 4 mounth and see what it happens and see if he can live up whit ....
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
Badlander
Overbomber

dtsom wrote: I´d like to see Iggy and the.... in a tour whit almost 60 gigs in 4 mounth and see what it happens and see if he can live up whit ....
Iggy can't do that anymore and he knows it very well. That's why they now only do festivals and one-off events. He just couldn't take a full tour.
Also AFAIK they've been playing the exact same list since 2003.
czuczu
Overbomber

Badlander wrote:... AFAIK they've been playing the exact same list since 2003.
It's the Stooges, what else do you want them to play?!? :lol:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Badlander wrote:Also AFAIK they've been playing the exact same list since 2003.
:eek: Now there's something you'd complain about, as a fan :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
biggy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I've seen the re-formed Stooges 3 times. Donington, Leeds and the special "Funhouse" show at Hammersmith Apollo. The London show was indeed the best gig I've ever been to by a mile. I'll be seeing them again in December at the Nightmare before Christmas festival in ..erm.. Butlins at Minehead.
They've been playing the same setlist because the original line up only recorded two albums. The third album was a different line up so the Asheton brothers won't & shouldn't play anything from "Raw Power".

There is a new Stooges album planned for release next year so the setlist will be changed in the near future.

I don't think people understand how important the stooges were all those years ago. It was the 60s & everyone had a mop top & sang twee nonsense about flowers and teenage loves. The Stooges crashlanded the music world and f**ked it up the arse in a massive way. They did that TEN YEARS before punk rock.

look at the Hives stood stageside watching how it's done (Donington Festival)
Love ? Love is just f**king with a kiss thrown in !!!
Badlander
Overbomber

biggy wrote: I don't think people understand how important the stooges were all those years ago. It was the 60s & everyone had a mop top & sang twee nonsense about flowers and teenage loves. The Stooges crashlanded the music world and f**ked it up the arse in a massive way. They did that TEN YEARS before punk rock.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

It's amazing the amount of people I know who think punk started in around 75..

Pick up a garage rock compilation from 63, with bands nobody's ever heard of, THEN tell me punk started with the 70s. :roll:
Badlander
Overbomber

Detroit rock journalist extraordinaire Lester Bangs followed The Clash on tour in the UK in 77. At first, he didn't understand why so many people were calling the then booming music scene "punk". After all, he'd been writing about "punk rock" since 1966 ! 8)

Which doesn't mean the Stooges weren't the great innovators. :innocent:
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Maybe you're right and can't i compare the two groups to each other. But after The Stooges i was SO impressed i couldn't think of anything better as a live act...

still respect to the sisters, but jesus if i recall the LOUD guitars and the howling voice of the stooges, i hear how blasting and blowing a performance can be.
PipoTheClown
Amphetamine Filth

@dinky daisy:

Trying to make these people understand that the Sisters are a second hand band nowadays is like telling religious fanatics that god doesn't exist. I think when in a few years time AE will only let one fart on stage they will still tell you it was a GREAT show! (coming to think of it.. where is all this mist onstage coming from? :D )
GC
Slight Overbomber

"I think when in a few years time AE will only let one fart on stage they will still tell you it was a GREAT show!"

Black wind come carry me far away...
PipoTheClown
Amphetamine Filth

pink noise, white noise
and a violet whining sound....
The Green Lantern
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

don't need the smell of incense, in the morning haze
PipoTheClown
Amphetamine Filth

The Green Lantern wrote:don't need the smell of incense, in the morning haze
it's a small world and it smells funny.... :lol:
aims
Overbomber

Dark wrote:It's amazing the amount of people I know who think punk started in around 75..

Pick up a garage rock compilation from 63, with bands nobody's ever heard of, THEN tell me punk started with the 70s. :roll:
Remind me to tell you who I saw in a Ramones shirt last night...:innocent:

Y'know, apart from the usual no-identity parade of topshop females ;)
headcleaner2k
Road Kill

That's the Stooges shtick and I'd expect no less from them. Dust off Wake, take a gander and tell me if Von is any less animated today, 20-years on. If anything he's lightened up a bit and the backup is at a supreme caliber not heard for years.