accents

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Cruel Brit@nnia
Road Kill

It's a little known fact that I don't actually posses my own accent. I've found that I occasionally lapse into the accent of someone I might be talking to from outside of Telford (Sheffield or Lambeth), and before you know it I either sound like Mark Radcliffe or a Pearly King.

It comes from the basis that Telford is a relatively new town, and that thousands of people from around the UK poured into Teford about 30-odd years ago with all sorts of different accents. I guess we simply couldn't be arsed with not understanding each other after a while, so we got rid of accents altogether.

If pushed for a description of any Telford accent at all, I'd guess it was a bastardisation of Brummie & Mancunian, often found in the lower echelons of Telford pondlife.

...Mancummie?
aims
Overbomber

I believe the accepted term is "Gentlemen's Relish" ;D
boudicca
Sister Midnight

scotty wrote:Geordie, especially the Geordie
Yes, I've developed a distinct fondness for a Northumbrian lilt myself of late... :innocent: :wink:

I do like a not-too-specific Southern accent in a gentleman (Southern England I mean) - the BBC English that Keef so despises!
And I LOVE a European accent, except French, Italian and Spanish. No offence! :oops:

Scottish accents, on the other hand, I cannot stand (including my own, which I hope to God I lose when I get out of this country). Which is odd because I usually prefer more guttural, hard-sounding language, and Scottish dialects definitely fit that description. I suppose it's just a case of familiarity breeding contempt.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Silver_Owl
The Don

The Geordie accent can be very sexy (lasses that is) - probably cos I know a nice blonde girl from Newcastle. And certain Scottish accents can be very nice.

Cockney accent is like fingers down a blackboard, as is the real broad Scouser accent and the Brummie noise.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Hom_Corleone wrote:like fingers down a blackboard, the Brummie noise.

I follow you ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
aims
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:I do like a not-too-specific Southern accent in a gentleman (Southern England I mean) - the BBC English that Keef so despises!
I have to agree, though I'll spare you the details of my views on Tom Felton, William Moseley and Alex Pettyfer ;):innocent:
scotty
Overbomber

Geordie

Scouse

Keighley

That's me done :twisted:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
boudicca
Sister Midnight

I was very impressed with Zeno's attempts to do the Scottish accent when we were on Planet Dave, and his caricature of the Dutch accent as well.

"Yesh, for sure, vee are very eashy-going about ourshelves yesh... you vant to be a men, it'sh cool, you vant to be a woman, dat'sh OK too. You vant to be shomething in between, come over to Emshterdam and you vill hev great time!" :twisted: :lol:

I have no idea how English-speaking people sound to the rest of the world though... I shudder to think! :urff:
canon docre
Overbomber

As I was told on several occasions by Englishmen I sound like Nico or better, like the rusty foghorn on the Bismarck with an air of Gestapo in it. :lol:

As for von, his German is far too good for my liking. I'd prefer a heavy English accent. 8)
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

canon docre wrote:As I was told on several occasions by Englishmen I sound like Nico or better, like the rusty foghorn on the Bismarck with an air of Gestapo in it. :lol:
You lucky lady! :notworthy:
canon docre
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:
canon docre wrote:As I was told on several occasions by Englishmen I sound like Nico or better, like the rusty foghorn on the Bismarck with an air of Gestapo in it. :lol:
Why be happy? It seems to repel any possible aspirants right from the start. :|
boudicca
Sister Midnight

canon docre wrote:
boudicca wrote:
They just don't have the balls Jess.

And do you want a chap without balls?

I rest my case. :wink: :kiss:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

boudicca wrote:I was very impressed with Zeno's attempts to do the Scottish accent when we were on Planet Dave, and his caricature of the Dutch accent as well.

"Yesh, for sure, vee are very eashy-going about ourshelves yesh... you vant to be a men, it'sh cool, you vant to be a woman, dat'sh OK too. You vant to be shomething in between, come over to Emshterdam and you vill hev great time!" :twisted: :lol:
Caricatures, attempts? :eek: What on earth did I miss? :lol:

The 'sh'-sounds were Deb's and Jos' fault, I usually don't do those but as I was switching between Northern Dutch and English :innocent:

Actually the attempts at Scottish might be due to the fact that I've got a habit of picking up all sorts of accents, I don't even know what is my own native accent in my mother tongue anymore :urff:
I have no idea how English-speaking people sound to the rest of the world though... I shudder to think! :urff:
Dutch with an English accent is very funny, as the matter of fact any foreign accent is great in Dutch :D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Andie
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:Scottish accents, on the other hand, I cannot stand (including my own, which I hope to God I lose when I get out of this country).
after living in sunny Essex for the past 6 years...i still haven't lost my damn accent...if anything i find it gets stronger the more beer i drink ;D
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Burn wrote:after living in sunny Essex for the past 6 years...i still haven't lost my damn accent...if anything i find it gets stronger the more beer i drink ;D
You'll have had your beer... :wink: :P
Big Si
School Bully

In the past, I've been told by a frenchman that I sound like a german :D
and most recently when asked by a southern englishman where I was phoning him from - "yes, I thought you had a scottish accent" :notworthy: 8)

Though i'm from the same area that gave the world

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Big Si
School Bully

canon docre wrote:
boudicca wrote:
Works for me! :wink: :oops:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Hey hey! I think you're in there Jess! ;D
canon docre
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:Hey hey! I think you're in there Jess! ;D
he probably still thinks I sing in that goddamn video. Hahahahaha.

let him hear my guttural laughter, sounding like a Panzer Division and he'd run for a mile. (forgive me, I'm a bit desillusioned by now and especially today.)
Big Si
School Bully

canon docre wrote:
boudicca wrote:Hey hey! I think you're in there Jess! ;D
he probably still thinks I sing in that goddamn video. Hahahahaha.

let him hear my guttural laughter, sounding like a Panzer Division and he'd run for a mile. (forgive me, I'm a bit desillusioned by now and especially today.)
A mark VI? Then you're on :wink: ;D

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

canon docre wrote:let him hear my guttural laughter, sounding like a Panzer Division
Ooooh dear, I've come over all funny. :eek: :twisted: :eek: :twisted: :lol: :kiss: :notworthy: *insert 'swoon' smiley*
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
canon docre
Overbomber

Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

canon docre wrote:Image
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Who's Flick on here? :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Silver_Owl
The Don

:lol: :lol: :lol: Vare iss da Madonna vis da big boobies? :?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Hom_Corleone wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Vare iss da Madonna vis da big boobies? :?
In zhe sausage, but vhich vhan?! (I once went to the Lascaux Grottes where we had a guide with that accent accent :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: If I hadn't been sick I would've been rolling all over the place with laughter :D)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr