David Lynch, Lost Highway - Oh yeah

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
zigeunerweisen
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

WOW

I just saw this movie and... WOW

Ok, let me start by saying that i'm actually almost a David Lynch virgin. The only thing i knew from him was "Blue Velvet", which i loved, but saw many many maaaany moons ago. The other thing i knew was the music from "Twin Peaks", which i love also, but not the actual series.
Yes, it's true, i somehow managed not to watch any David Lynch stuff for years.

I watched the movie tonight (from 2am until 4 am), with no lights on and completely alone and WOW...
You all probably have watched the movie already, a long time ago, so sorry if all this sounds a bit passé, but i really liked this movie.
Very dark, very spooky, very scary, very confusing, almost dream like (more nightmarish like) and EXTREMELY disturbing... WOW... I felt claustrophobic watching the damn thing. The music was incredible, very well chosen i think, and very well directed (i'm taking a film class now, so i pay attention to stuff like this).
Ok, i didn't understand a thing about the story, i'm still trying to understand what the hell happened, but i guess David Lynch has his own personal kind of world, and a very weird one. I usually hate when the movie's over and i don't know what happened, but this one, WOW, i'm still processing the stuff.
And i can't stop listening to the "Song To the Siren" now.

Is the rest of his stuff like this? Is "Twin Peaks" good? I have to check it out damn it.

WOW
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

ok, go watch Mulholland Drive now. Be ready to be just as confused.

Then for no weird but VERY good film watch The Sraight Story.

Then rent/buy/steal all his other films. Oh, some advice, don't watch Eraserhead alone, in the dark. *shudders*
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Black Shuck
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

8)Lost highway has a great soundtrack, too. They manage to use the music of rammstein in a way that actually benefits the film.

Many recent films have had good songs from trendy bands (NIN etc.), but most directors just plonk the songs in at random, I've always admired the way David lynch carefully selects each song and places it where it will imporve the mood of a scene.
Gazza for England manager
MrEddy
Amphetamine Filth

Why do you think I'm named thus? Truely a superb film!

w.r.t Mullholand Drive, I don't think it's really confusing- It's a very simple story told from an emotional perspective; as if by the recalling of memory (oftern wrong and always disorded).
pikkrong
Overbomber

yes, Zig, next step - Mulholland Drive 8)
do i drive
or am i driven
lachert
Overbomber

I have t-shirt of LH on me sick body right now. Fugkinc great movie but MD sucks for me. Maybe first hour is good but the rest haven't any sense.
Too freek even for David :notworthy: Poor that he dosn't make a TV serie from this :?
long live rock'n'roll
Moz Magister
Road Kill

It is a truly magnificent film and the Rammstein scene has been on permanent loop in my memory since I first saw it!
Have Fun!

"As one door closes, another slams in your face"
Lynchfanatic
Fire Walking Owl

:eek: What I havent seen this before now?? I need to pay more attention to the posts.. Oh yes, Lost Highway is a genious movie :notworthy: It was the first one i saw, then i saw the rest. I have seen all his movies.. Ecept from some short films.

My brother left to go to some friends, while i was left at his house to tape the movie for him. I dont regret that for one moment today. After i had seen it i had my mouth open. Is it possible to make a movie as great as that? WOW. And the song, song to the siren, oh my god. :notworthy: That is truly one of the most perfect scenes i have seen in a movie, both picture and music, It melts together to a masterpiece. I know both song and movie by heart.

You must see Mulholland drive. But when you see Twin Peaks, remember to see the series first, then the movie. In that order, that is important. Or the series wont be the same. You get a lot of answers in the movie. And in the series you get the same answers, but not right away. So its better to not know when you watch it for the first time.

I think that Eraserhead is his most abstract movie by far. Having a hard time getting that one. But it is good, absolutly. I like all of his movies, some more than others.

Lynchfanatic - Lynch fan - somehow people have a hard time getting my nick.

My hat goes of to the genious David :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
myspace.com/lynchfanatic
Delilah

DL is brilliant! He is my favourite director... Lost Highway is a masterpiece, had seen this movie 7 times and still have to really think about the story - there is so many possible explanations... Mulholland Drive was sweet and more "girly"... The only film of DL that wasn't that interesting(IMHO) was "Straight Story" - too slow and predictable...

Cannot wait for his next movie...
DomConway
Filth

Delilah wrote:The only film of DL that wasn't that interesting(IMHO) was "Straight Story" - too slow and predictable...
Totally agree with you there. Love Eraserhead tho (the soundtrack rules too), and Wild At Heart is one of my fave films ever.
My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me. WOOF!
the only thing to fear is fear itself
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

That's because The Straight Story was a true story, instead of Mr Lynch's fevered imagination. It has a lot of Lynchisms in it though.

Anyone know where I can get it? I downloaded it, but it was too big to fit on a CD, so I want it either on VHS or DVD. I haven't seen it anywhere yet.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
DomConway
Filth

CellThree wrote:Anyone know where I can get it? I downloaded it, but it was too big to fit on a CD, so I want it either on VHS or DVD. I haven't seen it anywhere yet.
http://www.blackstar.co.uk/circle/searc ... ight+story
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004SX6X
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004RCOS
the only thing to fear is fear itself
cyn
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Haven't seen Lost Highway but I was really offended when my bestfriend from highschool told me she had read Laura Palmer's Diary and I should buy the book because it totally reminded her of me.. :twisted:
Why don't you ask the kids at Tiananmen Square
Was fashion the reason why they were there?
They disguise it, hypnotize it
Television made you buy it
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Thanks Dom, just ordered that now! :)
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

CellThree wrote:Thanks Dom, just ordered that now! :)
me too :)

i remember the ads at the cinema and thought it looked rather smashing, but promptly forgot all about it! :roll:

memory like a thingumywhatsit me... :(
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Definately worth 6 quid I think!
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Nightspawn
Road Kill

Hmmm, i`ll post my virgin here i think:)
Lost Highway is by far my favourite when it comes to David Lynch!

The way he tells his stories give me such an arousal, that make me comforted in being a wierd soul:)

The best thing that has happened to American "movie industry", though he gets little respect as such!
hallucienate
Overbomber

Nightspawn wrote:Hmmm, i`ll post my virgin here i think:)
Welcome!
pikkrong
Overbomber

Nightspawn wrote:Hmmm, i`ll post my virgin here i think:)
Welcome 8)
do i drive
or am i driven
Black Shuck
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

Has anyone else seen 'The Short Films of David Lynch' DVD?

My lovely parents bought it me for Christmas (cost them £55!!!!), it's a must see for Lynch fans, despite being ludicrously expensive.

It contqains six films, the best of which is called 'The Grandmother'; A half hour film about an abused little boy with no dialogue (people communicate by barking like dogs?!) it's the scariest thing he's ever made.

It might still be available on his website, but postage to the UK is exorbitant; if you want it, your best bet is American ebay.
Gazza for England manager
Dreamweapon
Road Kill

On the subject of David Lynch, does anybody have any info on an album he has recorded, i.e is it any good, and when does it come out.
It is by David Lynch and John Neff, called BlueBob. There was a review for it in Mojo:
After the relative success of his last two flicks, The Straight Story and Mulholland Drive, David Lynch has apparently turned to a new form of expression to exorcise his demons. Coining the genre 'industrial blues', Lynch teams up with renowned session guitarist John Neff for these dozen tracks. With every lyric delivered in a deadpan snarl, Lynch happily plays out tales of divorce, death, and downright debauchery, the licks on his custom Blackbird guitar cutting through Neff's dark and swirling riffs. Certain moments on BlueBob echo Ministry's havy-hitting sound, with definite comparisons between I Cannot Do That and Jesus Built My Hotrod, recorded a decade ago. Go down the checklist: harsh, violent, abrasive - and ultimately derivative. But if these songs were photographs, uber-arthouse publisher Taschen would put together the coffee table book. If BlueBob was a whirlpool, you'd drown.

Sounds good to me, but it doesn't appear to be released yet...
I walk 47 miles of barbed wire
Wear a cobra snake for a neck tie
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Black Shuk wrote:Has anyone else seen 'The Short Films of David Lynch' DVD?
I have a copy of it in DivX if anyone is interested :innocent:
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Nightspawn
Road Kill

CellThree wrote:
I have a copy of it in DivX if anyone is interested :innocent:

Always:)

(By the way thanks for the welcome, guys)!
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Welcome to Heartland, Nightspawn! :)

Oh, yeah - Twin Peaks all the way, baybee!!! W00tw00t! :D
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry: