accents

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Obviousman wrote:
canon docre wrote:Image
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Who's Flick on here? :lol:
Good question.

@ Jess... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :twisted:
'What a heavy load Einstein must have had. Morons everywhere.'
Big Si
School Bully

:wink: :oops:

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Obviousman wrote:Caricatures, attempts? :eek: What on earth did I miss? :lol:

The 'sh'-sounds were Deb's and Jos' fault, I usually don't do those but as I was switching between Northern Dutch and English :innocent:

Actually the attempts at Scottish might be due to the fact that I've got a habit of picking up all sorts of accents, I don't even know what is my own native accent in my mother tongue anymore :urff:
It's a Belgian thing, really ;) We adapt to any language and accent that is spoken around us. When a Neandertha...erm... NETHERLANDER talks to me, I even adapt the Holland accent (with the 'sh' sounds like you say).

Two sentences in Scottish on this board ruined my pristine written English fer guid! ;D

You all wonder why I don't come over to the England HL do a second time. I met Big Si and Paddy back then. Since then I'm afraid....

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Big Si
School Bully

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Two sentences in Scottish on this board ruined my pristine written English fer guid! ;D

You all wonder why I don't come over to the England HL do a second time. I met Big Si and Paddy back then. Since then I'm afraid....

IZ.
With good reason :wink:

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Silver_Owl
The Don

Nearly as frightning as Si.......

Good moening - I was just pissing by...... :lol: Oh the hilarity.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
eotunun
Overbomber

canon docre wrote: let him hear my guttural laughter, sounding like a Panzer Division and he'd run for a mile.
That´s a solid base for a relationship. He gives you joy and you keep him fit.
A fair deal, I think.. ;D
sorry, had to..
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
pikkrong
Overbomber

canon docre wrote: he probably still thinks I sing in that goddamn video. Hahahahaha.
Saw this video last night again. I had forgotten that I had seen it before.
At least now I can be proud that I have used the same driver (and I'm still alive :oops: :oops: :oops: ).

PS My post (whatever I say) in 'accents' thread is one of the best jokes, isn't it? :innocent:
do i drive
or am i driven
Andy Christ 666
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I've been told on a few occasions that my voice is uncannily similar to Ozzy Osbournes. :eek:

'But oi curnt see it meself loike.'
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I have a middle-class Surrey drawl. The word "ghastly" can only be said by us, with the correct languor and emphasis, ie. "Must have been ghastly for you , darling.."
Accents I like from the English speaking world include New Zealander, Georgia, and the Scottish Highlands. Accents that should render the speaker subject to compulsory elocution lessons include Geordie, Cockney, and Glaswegian.
Last one reminded me of a time when a work collegue had to phone another department in Scotland, based in Sauchiehall Street, and was told by the indignant lady on the other end of the phone after he mangled it's pronounciation "How can you not know how to pronounce it? It's as famous as your Oxford Street!". Methinks not, dear..
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

DeWinter wrote: Accents that should render the speaker subject to compulsory elocution lessons include Geordie, Cockney, and Glaswegian.
Just f**king try it fannybaws :wink:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
smiscandlon
Overbomber

canon docre wrote:Image
My brother recently met Richard Gibson (Herr Flick) at a memorabilia / cult TV event. He did the whole thing in costume, and in character...

Fan: "Are you having a good time?"

Herr Flick: "I vill ask ze qvestions, peasant!"

:lol: :notworthy:
анархия
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I don't have an accent, it's everyone else that does...

*ahem*

I can do a good version of Andy Kershaw (having been to the same school as him) but my vowel sounds naturally aren't as exaggeratedely "Lancishoor" as his.

My mum thinks my accent has changed under the influence of mrs fiend, but she's posh Liverpool as opposed to Jennifer Ellison's shriek. ;)

IIRC most British accents are converging towards "BBC English" but Liverpool (and a couple of others) are actually diverging.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
aims
Overbomber

No! Liverpool should be converging and the others should be let live! :cry:
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

A question for the school teachers on HL.

Do think it should be made compulsary that kids should have elocution lessons at a very young age?
aims
Overbomber

Hmmm. Not a teacher, but meh. If the purpose is to make them easier to understand, then yes, it's just as important as learning good handwriting. However, if it's for some elitist BBC English ideal, then no.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

elamanamou wrote:A question for the school teachers on HL.

Do think it should be made compulsary that kids should have elocution lessons at a very young age?
Two questions for you...

Do you?

And did you?
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

markfiend wrote:IIRC most British accents are converging towards "BBC English" but Liverpool (and a couple of others) are actually diverging.
Bit of an international trend that (though in different languages obviously), Dutch is being flooded by so called regiolects or 'In between'-language (tussentaal we call it) which is a bit of a mixture between good standard Dutch and proper dialects. Problem is, due to that people fail to see the fact they're still not speaking their language properly and the entire language gets f**ked up :|

Good thing is Antwerp dialect is the standard for Flanders, as it's the most commonly used one on tv :lol: 8)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
mh
Above the Chemist

elamanamou wrote:A question for the school teachers on HL.

Not a school teacher, but I work in the education sector, so I spose I'm kinda eligible to respond.

Nope.

Everybody I know who took them ended up a ghastly prima donna.

Let your accent shine forth - it's a part of who you are!
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

elamanamou wrote:The Norfolk accent is something else.They make up there own words!
Yoo bee quiyte roight moi boooootieeeeeeee

I do not speak like that however
canon docre
Overbomber

pikkrong wrote:
canon docre wrote: he probably still thinks I sing in that goddamn video. Hahahahaha.
Saw this video last night again. I had forgotten that I had seen it before.
At least now I can be proud that I have used the same driver (and I'm still alive :oops: :oops: :oops: ).
Well, as long as there isn't any silly torrero unrulily gesticulating in front of me I'm quite a steady drive. :wink:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
DGP00666
Amphetamine Filth

What about the typical accent of a Spaniard living in the USA tryin' to speak English? Oh, Lord :P
You are very very bad people and you must be punished
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

weebleswobble wrote:
DeWinter wrote: Accents that should render the speaker subject to compulsory elocution lessons include Geordie, Cockney, and Glaswegian.
Just f**king try it fannybaws :wink:
Fannybaws? :eek:
Don't get me wrong, I've no problem with accents, as long as they are understandable! Glaswegians and Geordie's are from the same small damp island as myself, surely I shouldn't have more trouble understanding them than I do my Estonian born, Finnish raised girlfriend? As for Cockney..it's understandable but sounds so whiny and sing-song, it's just plain irritating.. :x
boudicca
Sister Midnight

DeWinter wrote:Don't get me wrong, I've no problem with accents, as long as they are understandable! Glaswegians and Geordie's are from the same small damp island as myself, surely I shouldn't have more trouble understanding them than I do my Estonian born, Finnish raised girlfriend? As for Cockney..it's understandable but sounds so whiny and sing-song, it's just plain irritating.. :x
Well I can give you Glasgow-Lite... the acceptable face of Scottish speech ;D
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

boudicca wrote:
DeWinter wrote:Don't get me wrong, I've no problem with accents, as long as they are understandable! Glaswegians and Geordie's are from the same small damp island as myself, surely I shouldn't have more trouble understanding them than I do my Estonian born, Finnish raised girlfriend? As for Cockney..it's understandable but sounds so whiny and sing-song, it's just plain irritating.. :x
Well I can give you Glasgow-Lite... the acceptable face of Scottish speech ;D
Very true Claire-Bearsden and all that........ :innocent:

DeWinter sorry you have so much trouble, we do try and talk slowly for all the others. But less on the elocution and more on the listening might go down well. Naebotheran'awethatpuremessin'wi'yurheed.... :lol:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Whit man? That wiz pure sh!te therr!