Paying respect

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Master Margarita
Amphetamine Filth

I think it is unlikely that the Sisters will be covered by a band which have some mainstream appeal. But is anyone aware of prominent musicians paying tribute to the sisters? I seem to recall reading somewhere that Jarvis Cocker has said Leeds should put up a statue of AE. Anyone else?

And, for my supplemental questions, are there any musicaions which AE considers himself close to? Or do you think he keeps himself to himself and his Amiga and all the girls in Berlin?
When was the last time you cut the catwalk caviar?
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I have a very hazy recollection of Axl Rose wearing a Sisters T-shirt about ten years ago. Not the greatest testimony, of course. If there was any Sisters influence on the Roses, I would say it was restricted to their derivative cover of Knocking on Heaven's Door, which bears SOME slight similarity to the arrangement in the Sisters Demo version.

Dunno much about AE's current friends, doubt musicians are the obvious choice. In the past, off the top of my head, there's been some kind of link with Tori Amos, Die Krupps, Leonard Cohen, David Bowie, Psychedelic Furs, Iggy Pop, Suicide, some obscure German bands, and lots of others which are probably fairly common knowledge.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
hallucienate
Overbomber

I remember someone Metallica wear a sisters top round the time of their Black Album.

Von has also been on friendly terms with Lemmy (didn't he make them do the last encore at the Albert Hall?).
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

MrChris wrote:I have a very hazy recollection of Axl Rose wearing a Sisters T-shirt about ten years ago. Not the greatest testimony, of course. If there was any Sisters influence on the Roses, I would say it was restricted to their derivative cover of Knocking on Heaven's Door, which bears SOME slight similarity to the arrangement in the Sisters Demo version.

Dunno much about AE's current friends, doubt musicians are the obvious choice. In the past, off the top of my head, there's been some kind of link with Tori Amos, Die Krupps, Leonard Cohen, David Bowie, Psychedelic Furs, Iggy Pop, Suicide, some obscure German bands, and lots of others which are probably fairly common knowledge.

you sure it wasn't the drummer :?: he has the birthday bash t-shirt on durnig one of the vid's . I think he came from Leeds :wink:
Goths have feelings too
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

nooooooooooo - this old chestnut!! :urff:

the drummer from g'n'r in question is/was matt soren - he was in the cult for a while too

he wore a sisters tee in the live vid for "you could be mine" (from terminator 2)

:roll:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

That sounds right - my memory isn't what it once was, etc

I'm actually relieved it wasn't the angry anagram-man, anyway.
Chris

Blaine
Road Kill

Quiff Boy wrote:nooooooooooo - this old chestnut!! :urff:

the drummer from g'n'r in question is/was matt soren - he was in the cult for a while too

he wore a sisters tee in the live vid for "you could be mine" (from terminator 2)

yep
i can confirm 8)
Blaine
The Green Lantern
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

hallucienate wrote:I remember someone Metallica wear a sisters top round the time of their Black Album.

Von has also been on friendly terms with Lemmy (didn't he make them do the last encore at the Albert Hall?).
Yes, according to our hero, Lemmy was backstage and persuaded them to do one final encore. Speaking of wich, isn't that a superb live version of Train? One of the best I think I've heard.
Last edited by The Green Lantern on 27 May 2003, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

wasn't there a billy idol connection during the vision thing period? am sure tony james mentions them all hanging out together during the recording of the album on the sputnik website diaries... all old muckers together, eh!

remember seeing idol on terry wogan, just after his bike crash when he was held together by rivets, wearing a long black leather trench coat, leather trousers and bike boots, carrying a cane, and wearing a vision thing tee ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

There's also a version of the Lemmy / Wake story that has him trying to persuade AE NOT to go back onstage for another encore, for the sake of his crumbling health. And come to think of it, I think both come from AE interviews...lol

Is this a) disinformation, b) the amnesia that comes with old age, or c) the result of a drug-addled brain?
Chris

The Green Lantern
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

MrChris wrote:There's also a version of the Lemmy / Wake story that has him trying to persuade AE NOT to go back onstage for another encore, for the sake of his crumbling health. And come to think of it, I think both come from AE interviews...lol

Is this a) disinformation, b) the amnesia that comes with old age, or c) the result of a drug-addled brain?
probably a little bit of all three :lol: :lol:
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Quiff Boy wrote:wasn't there a billy idol connection during the vision thing period? am sure tony james mentions them all hanging out together during the recording of the album on the sputnik website diaries... all old muckers together, eh!

remember seeing idol on terry wogan, just after his bike crash when he was held together by rivets, wearing a long black leather trench coat, leather trousers and bike boots, carrying a cane, and wearing a vision thing tee ;)
yeah, I remember that

tell ya what too.

somewhere in the back of me 'ead, I watched a Gen X/ Billy Idol vid :?: which looked the spit of This Corrosion, though of course it was quite a few years older. :wink:
Goths have feelings too
Andy TG
Overbomber

I remember reading in either Melody Maker, NME or Sounds back 1991 that AE thought that Carter - The Unstappable Sex Machine were the ONLY threat to the Sisters crown. This was was around about the time of the Sisters headling the Reading Festival in July or 91.

Knew You'd Be Pleased.....
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Black Shuck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

hallucienate wrote:I remember someone Metallica wear a sisters top round the time of their Black Album.
On MTV2 today, they played a Metallica vid (can't remember if it was Enter Sandman or Wherever I may roam) and Kirk Hammett was indeed clearly wearing a Sisters t-shirt for roughly 3 seconds (it was the basic sisters 'anatomy' logo).

Not really surprising- Metallica seem to be obsessed with early eighties Brit rock bands (it's all they ever talk about in interviews).
I have a poster of Kirk on me bedroom wall, he is wearing a 'Samhain' t-shirt, so the fella clearly has good taste.
Gazza for England manager
claws
Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:nooooooooooo - this old chestnut!! :urff:

Slight correction: His name is Matt Sorum. And he is still with The Cult.
We are coming down but we will never, never land