war on drugs

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
nearmethexperience
Sarky Git

i've tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried to like it, but lets face it, it's sh*t isn't it?¿?¿?

sheeeesh, there ya go, i've said it, now i'm going for a lay down
++++ All those of you who have tears, prepare to shed them now... ++++
nearmethexperience
Sarky Git

and since i'm bearing my soul, i think slept is pretty f*cking cr*p as well, if that's the standard of the latest sisters song you can keep em...

*sulks*
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

:eek:

Methy more medication matey

War on drugs rocks like a bastard. Albeit an aging bastard

I agree about slept though, a filler not a shining star like say crash and burn ;)
Goths have feelings too
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

i don't wanna appear a twit but snubnose is rapidly becoming my favourite new track. :roll:
Goths have feelings too
Andy TG
Overbomber

Crash and Burn - rocks big style! - Snub Nose - ****!
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

Just getting used to new stuff courtesy of a tape that mysteriously appeared in the post :D

(thanks B*g S*)

Love Snubnose, the Comfotably Numb cover made me smile too....what the hell do they drift off into at the end though ?

What impressed me the most was the quality of guitar playing (I know I am predictable), maybe a good sign that Mr Starling is back on board.

Would love to hear a studio version of Summer too....
Todays sarcasm is tomorrow's news
hallucienate
Overbomber

I kind of agree with Methy, War On Drugs and Come Together are not my favourite tracks by a long shot. I haven't given Slept a chance yet as I only have crappy MP3 versions of it so far.

Summer, Crash and Burn and Susanne all rock my world though. I've even come to like Romeo Down.
The Green Lantern
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

No no no, please no. War on Drugs is a masterpiece, imo. The powerful slow beat of the doktor, on a record - yeah, right, like that would happen - I would imagine the sound of a scratched vinyl lp alongside the drumbeat. Then the waa-hee's and the line 'I am come', it's just brilliant. It's Kurtz, Heart of Darkness, Apocalypse Now, back to Leeds, back to meth, where am I?

I love it and in my twisted opinion it could very well be a single on its own - yeah, right, like that would happen. :wink:
Jim
Slight Overbomber

Come together is definitely average. WoD rocks like a bastard. And always will. Ribbons for the new generation.

Slept I've only heard once (live at leeds) - thought it was quite nice. Bit acoustic-vision thing-y. Or something.

And you're all right about Snub Nose - just wow.
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

William Gibson says that when you meet celebrities for real, your mind does this weird flickering thing, between the image you had of them, and how they really are, trying to find a workable compromise image. The same thing happens for me when I hear the new songs. I'm hearing them live, with all the fuzz and flat vocals, and my mind is going into overdrive because at the same time I'm trying to hear them as records.

I think Crash and Burn and Suzanne could be all-time Sisters greats if recorded, up there with anything they've done, but maybe only because I can more easily imagine them as records. I can't imagine Romeo Down and Slept in the same league. War on Drugs, to me, sounds like AE trying to do a Gary Glitter. I think it will always be better live. I expect we will all disagree on all of this.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Hey Zuma, Comfortably Numb goes into Some Kind of Stranger towards the end.

I like War on drugs, especially the time changes. But not as much as Come Together, thank God they played it 2nd night at the Forum. And Crash and Burn IS the business.

Slept is a nice idea stretched way, way too thin. And the lyrics are s**t as well.
nearmethexperience
Sarky Git

well, i'm trying very hard to listen to the new stuff, albeit via some very very dodgy bootlegs, but i'm not overly fond of any of it, then again, it took me about 4 years to admit that vision thing wasn't a boring old pile of c*ck-rock...
Black Shuck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

Yeah, I also found Vision Thing to be a 'grower'.

I don't think any of the new songs are on par with d older stuff, maybe once I hear them (properly recorded) a few million times they'll grow on me as well.
Gazza for England manager
Black Shuck

Yeah, I also found Vision Thing to be a 'grower'.

I don't think any of the new songs are on par with d older stuff, maybe once I hear them (properly recorded) a few million times they'll grow on me as well.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Black Shuk wrote:Yeah, I also found Vision Thing to be a 'grower'.

whoah there bessy! twice! :D :D :D

who do you think you are? andy the goth? ;) :twisted:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Black Shuck

Sorry
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Black Shuk wrote:Sorry
no worries - we've all done it at some point :D :D
nearmethexperience
Sarky Git

@ black shuk

like mould on a slice of bread, probably...

@ quiffy

woah yourself mister snappy, just how many g&t's (over ice with a slice of lemon no less) have you had, exactly ;) ;) ;) lol
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

nearmethexperience wrote:@ black shuk

like mould on a slice of bread, probably...

@ quiffy

woah yourself mister snappy, just how many g&t's (over ice with a slice of lemon no less) have you had, exactly ;) ;) ;) lol
wha hooo, lets runa forum on drugs.

et tu, brootay! :D :D :D

and its lime, not lemon. uncultured slob. ;)
nearmethexperience
Sarky Git

yeah, just call me lager boy ;) ;) ;)
buzz
Road Kill

a new album would blast everything existing away...summer,come together,chrash&burn and suzanne are brilliant.war on drugs,romeo down and slept are grower - and thats fine. buzz :eek:
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Which would be fine, but a new album is unlikely to feature any of those songs. Mr Starling told me a it would almost certainly feature ten new songs. So if we get these songs at all, it will probably be on the by-now-near-mythical live DVD, alas.
Chris

Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

MrChris wrote:Which would be fine, but a new album is unlikely to feature any of those songs. Mr Starling told me a it would almost certainly feature ten new songs. So if we get these songs at all, it will probably be on the by-now-near-mythical live DVD, alas.
when were you chatting to mr starling? :eek: :notworthy: :D

i was introduced to him at least, in that kind of "he's next to you so don't look now!" kinda way... obviously i looked, and he cought my eye.. all i could think to say was "i like your songs" :urff: ;D i dont know how and probably have very little in common with him, and so it flet like that was about all i had to say, in my drunken way.

bet i came across like a right prat though! :oops: :lol: :lol: :roll:

i like the idea that there's a whole new batch of stuff that will be used for official releases, so it will all shiney, fresh and new :)

i can see the logic in them doing that too, as there's a fair chance that the nay-sayers will jump on any "new" release on the groiunds that most of the material has been doing the rounds for at least the last 5 years, and in some cases nearly 8 years! "scrapping" that stuff and using all new material would certainly put them in their place.

i can't see it though, somehow... especially if the story about eldritch's near-crippling writers block is to be believed ;)
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

Crash and Burn Tops
Snub Nose is great fun

War on Drugs is dire, and Come Together uses the Gary Glitter 'Didn't Know' drum pattern
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Hi QB

I went to a couple of the aftershows - Wolves and Bristol - because my cousin's a friend of Chris Starling. I don't have a direct line to the band, and it wasn't very rock and roll at all, but I did get the chance to have a chat with CS. He was in a much better mood after the Bristol gig, naturally, which is when he said that if a record company would offer them the right amount (they're currently asking for half a mil, right?), they could write ten new songs in a week, and would very happily do so. I got the impression CS would definitely be involved in the writing this time. So come on, someone, give them some money!
Chris