FALAA Reissue - Comments and Thoughts

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
mh
Above the Chemist

PipoTheClown wrote:The version I have sounds a bit more full, more bass and more "powerfull" I would say. It's not the remastered version but
the first CD-version, I suppose, and I like it a lot. The latest release sounds not so punchy allthough some instruments can be better heard (but not the bass guitar).

So these tracks sound like the ones on vinyl?
The first CD version was also the remixes. Only the original vinyl and cassette from '85 have ever contained the originals before now.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
PipoTheClown
Amphetamine Filth

Ok, thanks for the info!
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

douglasb wrote:No discussion of the studio logs? Maybe I'm just out of the loop - very possible - but they were new to me. For those who haven't seen them, or don't intend on buying these release, here's how the recordings sessions were logged - at some point during the sessions:

Emma
Poison Door
Scottish One A
Possession
Marianne
Nine While 9
Little Wing
Andy's Little Wing
Down To E
No Time To Cry
WalkAway
A Rock and A Hard Place
Scottish One B
Spit On Your Grave
Wide Receiver
Evil Come Evil
On The Wire

Yes, I wondered about this, too. I only know what is, I think, pretty common knowledge, but hopefully someone else can magnify our understanding of this by adding some info.

"Scottish One" is "FALAA". A and B were just different arrangements.
"Down to E" is Logic.

"Wide Receiver" has been well discussed in another thread... was a demo originally recorded by Andy alone and suggested as an album track (the only suggested album track he wrote, btw), but the band didn't get too enthused about it and 'twas dropped.

"Evil Come Evil Go" is, I think, the proper name for the song, but I don't know which song it is.

Songs we know of that are not listed, "Black Planet" and "SKOS," could be evolutions of (in no order) "Little Wing," "Spit On Your Grave" or "ECEG," but I have no idea which could be which.

Last bit of info for those who don't know: "I Spit On Your Grave" is an amazing and legendary underground feature film, extremely violent, about a woman seeking revenge on a group of men who did her great harm. Highly recommended for the uninitiated.

Maybe Quiffy could put the question to Herr Marx for clarification? It would be most fascinating...
mh
Above the Chemist

I believe that the "Little Wing" choons are actually SKOS. At least, it was mentioned on Dominion recently.

ECEG could be a reference to a chord sequence.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
robertzombie
Overbomber

PipoTheClown wrote:Just got back from the recordshop where I listened to the re-issue of FALAA. It sounds very different from the original version I have on CD, much thinner I would say. The tracks on this release, are they the same as the "digitally remastered" tracks of 1992?
My one sounds fantastic :roll:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

I love this mix :eek: :notworthy:

Big improvement over the other mix, never liked it that way, this sound is way more appealing! Shame about the long Some Kind of Stranger though, doesn't come near the other one IMO :|

BTW: Is it true - as the booklet says - SKOS is about groupie culture? Never seem to have come across that before...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
robertzombie
Overbomber

SKOS appears to be about prostitution so it's possible that it could be about random groupies having sex with him
mh
Above the Chemist

robertzombie wrote:SKOS appears to be about prostitution so it's possible that it could be about random groupies having sex with him
Von's "any girl in the world song", I believe Mr Marx called it once.
bismarck

mh wrote:
robertzombie wrote:SKOS appears to be about prostitution so it's possible that it could be about random groupies having sex with him
Von's "any girl in the world song", I believe Mr Marx called it once.

I believe it was "every girl in the world." A subtle - but important - difference :wink:
James Blast
Banned

It's about the end of love, when a relationship breaks down and neither of you will admit it.

IMO
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

James Blast wrote:It's about the end of love, when a relationship breaks down and neither of you will admit it.

IMO
That's how I thought it was as well! :notworthy:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
UglyasSin
Road Kill

Personally I thought it was about doing to many drugs, and drinking too much, and just shagging anything that moved, then forgetting who name of the girl the liaison was with.

As I don't own the original vinyl of First and Last and Always I can't comment on how much better or worse it sounds than this re-issue/re-master. I can say it sounds a damn site better than the 2 earlier CD's. I shall now go any bury those 2 CD's in the garden, before my thinks I'm bonkers owning 3 CD's of the same bloody album.

Yes I also agree that the "additional tracks" are not re-mastered with the same care as the album tracks and are too loud in comparison.
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

Close but no cigar Zeno. It's one of the fabled ¾ songs. Alles klar?
aims
Overbomber

Johnny Rev 7.0 wrote:Alles klar?
Nice intro but where's the song? ;)

That would be Driven Like The Snow :innocent:
sultan2075
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:It's about the end of love, when a relationship breaks down and neither of you will admit it.

IMO
Many years ago, at a Social Distortion show, Mike Ness introduced a song ("Dear Lover" maybe?) with the comment: "Here's where we seperate the men from the boys, the ladies from the girls. It's about the day when you wake up and realize it's all been over for a year; and all that's been left is just f**king." It always seemed somehow apropos for SKOS as well--though it ain't a perfect fit.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
randdebiel²

IMO
what about the "I don't care what you're called, tell me later if at all" then? :innocent:
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Could refer to a previous row?
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

randdebiel² wrote:

IMO
what about the "I don't care what you're called, tell me later if at all" then?
the relationship has become so strained, he's wishing for that feeling of first love returning from someone he now regards as a stranger
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

Finally - a decent digital copy of the title track! All done on the cheap and as mentioned by others, levels on the extra tracks put them way out of place. Vocals on the bait track (some kind of stranger - early version) makes von sound like a drunkard. Interesting all the same.

Poison Door, top rate song that and it's one of my all time favourite songs by the girls. Great not listening to a turntable underneith it! This may have been asked elsewhere so sorry if it has - did Ghost Dance ever do a studio version of that song?
On the other hand, the brain of an idiot seldom weighs more than 23oz - Gray's Anatomy
GC
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:
randdebiel² wrote:

IMO
what about the "I don't care what you're called, tell me later if at all" then?
the relationship has become so strained, he's wishing for that feeling of first love returning from someone he now regards as a stranger
My thought on this was that he's broken up with his love and that he'd rather be in bed with anyone (a stranger)rather than being alone.

"Some kind of stranger" someone you've shagged but hardly know. Been intimate with someone but maybe don't even know their name.
James Blast
Banned

Gollum's Cock wrote:
James Blast wrote:
randdebiel² wrote:what about the "I don't care what you're called, tell me later if at all" then?
My thought on this was that he's broken up with his love and that he'd rather be in bed with anyone (a stranger)rather than being alone.

"Some kind of stranger" someone you've shagged but hardly know. Been intimate with someone but maybe don't even know their name.
it's only my take on it, and I'm usually wrong
~ Peter Steele
mandrake
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Wow, SKOS demo is weird but wonderfull. That "weeping" guitar in the back ground is a bit weird. I thought there was someone crying at first. Very strange guitar indeed, otherwise great demo.

Remasters are worth having. Haven't bought Vision Thing yet. (Only one which didnt arrive at the shops. strange..)

1st no typos, great Quality. This version of 1st should have been the opening track. Overall more to discover in the tracks now, hidden layers and stuff. Plus the B sides in good (but indeed louder) Quality.

Yep, I am not ashamed for buying these. Right so where is the new one? Or that DVD? :twisted:
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

mandrake wrote:Wow, SKOS demo is weird but wonderfull. That "weeping" guitar in the back ground is a bit weird. I thought there was someone crying at first. Very strange guitar indeed, otherwise great demo.
I thought that guitar sound was amazing. If Mr Marx views this forum, I'd love to know how he came up with it (I am right in saying it isn't hussey? Dosen't sound like him to me).
On the other hand, the brain of an idiot seldom weighs more than 23oz - Gray's Anatomy
Big Si
School Bully

RetroGoth wrote:
mandrake wrote:Wow, SKOS demo is weird but wonderfull. That "weeping" guitar in the back ground is a bit weird. I thought there was someone crying at first. Very strange guitar indeed, otherwise great demo.
I thought that guitar sound was amazing. If Mr Marx views this forum, I'd love to know how he came up with it (I am right in saying it isn't hussey? Dosen't sound like him to me).
Yep, i'm sure it's all Gazza, and it's his version of the wedding march 8)
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Received FALAA 06 on Friday! I love it! Great sound!
SKOS early is long but not that great...Nice to have though. :D
"as we walk on the floodland"