Human Rights Gone To Far?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I don't quite see how drug addiction is an illness, since it is the result of a deliberate course of action. Heroin needles don't waft on the breeze and insert themselves into your arm, do they?
This kind of legal action was foreseen years ago, before the HRA was adopted into British law, we're an exceedingly litigation fond society, with a judiciary far removed from common sense, and only interested in the absolute letter of the law. Considering what the addicts are costing the UK taxpayer in terms of housing, feeding, clothing and Lord knows what else, giving them a derisory token payment for their "suffering" would have been the sensible thing to do.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I think human rights can be taken too far. Back where PiB and I grew up they used to be able to birch young offenders (a punishment where some strapping copper would beat the offender on the posterior with a tightly wrapped bundle of birch sticks) - the original short sharp shock. This was seen as preferable to the borstal or reform school alternative, and considerably cheaper to the taxpayer.

Unfortunately, after some skell from Northern Ireland got 6 strokes for assault in 1993, he appealed to the European Court of Human Rights, who insisted that the punishment be done away with.

Now, hands up if you would rather have 6 months in the nick and a criminal record, or 6 strokes with the birch and told not to do it again.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
9while9
Slight Overbomber
Location: Parts Unknown or Isle of Tonga (whichever you prefer).

weebleswobble wrote:
A paedophile junkie awarded £3,800 for going 'cold turkey' in jail last night dismissed the sum as "insulting". Ian Crellin 43, has more than 130 convictions for theft, burglary-and having sex with a 15 year old girl.
:evil:
"six or eight grand would have sufficed for what I went through"
:evil: :evil:
He breached an ASBO going shoplifting and tested positive for drugs despite a rehab order
:evil: :evil: :evil:

I can feel the steam coming out my ears, defend if you wish, I'm a Grumpy Old Man and I eat Bleeding Hearts for breakfast!
You da man Weeebles!
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

-Me, I'm inspired by my DarkAngel.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Hi 9 where the f**k have you been? :lol:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Ramone

But did you know....

"In 1898, Bayer registered and marketed diacetylmorphine under the name Heroin. It is not known if the name heroin comes from the heroic job the drug did in reducing pain and easing breathing problems or because of the way a person felt when under its effects. The word itself comes from the German word heroisch, meaning heroic.

In 1899, the Bayer company marketed acetylsalicylic acid as Aspirin. Below is an U.S. ad from the late 1890's or early 1900's, it includes information about both Bayer Aspirin and Bayer Heroin. Aspirin and heroin were both legal at the time and heroin was marketed as a cough suppressant."

Now if only they sold it at Boots like they used too, we wouldn't have half the nob heads we have now acting the way they do and ruining people's lives etc..

As for s ASBO's, that is the single waste of time this goverment has introduced. Its now a badge of honour and not a solution.

Lock 'em up, and dehumanise them the way other counties do and make the punishment the single worse expericence they could possibly imagine.

Crime should be a deterent not an achievement to impress your friends.

God I feel old saying old that..Little buggers - nahhhhhhh.
"It was great that Kurt Cobain shot himself when he did..cos without that ,we'd have no Foo Fighters today" :Ramone, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever. November 2008
DeWinter

Ramone wrote: As for s ASBO's, that is the single waste of time this goverment has introduced. Its now a badge of honour and not a solution.

Lock 'em up, and dehumanise them the way other counties do and make the punishment the single worse expericence they could possibly imagine.

Crime should be a deterent not an achievement to impress your friends.

God I feel old saying old that..Little buggers - nahhhhhhh.
I had a great idea about how to makes ASBO's feared. There should be a uniform to go with them, to be worn at all times, like the community service ones. Except, the ASBO uniform ought to be either bright pink with black polka dots, a cheery floral pattern, or plain white covered in pictures of happy kittens, topped off with matching sandals. It's damned difficult to be "'ard" when you're dressed up to look like Great Auntie Muriel.
9while9
Slight Overbomber
Location: Parts Unknown or Isle of Tonga (whichever you prefer).

weebleswobble wrote:Hi 9 where the f**k have you been? :lol:
Sabbatical.
How the hell have you been Weeb? :?:
I hope well. :D
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

-Me, I'm inspired by my DarkAngel.
Detonation Boulevard
Road Kill

DeWinter wrote:I don't quite see how drug addiction is an illness, since it is the result of a deliberate course of action. Heroin needles don't waft on the breeze and insert themselves into your arm, do they?
This kind of legal action was foreseen years ago, before the HRA was adopted into British law, we're an exceedingly litigation fond society, with a judiciary far removed from common sense, and only interested in the absolute letter of the law. Considering what the addicts are costing the UK taxpayer in terms of housing, feeding, clothing and Lord knows what else, giving them a derisory token payment for their "suffering" would have been the sensible thing to do.
Where I'm from herion is illegal - if someone wants to do the illegal thing and gets caught, we don't care if they can't shoot up anymore. F**k the idea of my taxes pampering that sh*t.
"I got the fuel for the transformation
I'm a naked flame."