"While we're waiting for the next one to arrive!"

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Here it is! The new and improved Crash And Burn from The Mumbles
ENJOY!

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 152333A121
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Nice instrumentals but the vocals..... sounds very clippy and hummy. Try a bit less gain and, if the voice becomes louder, more distance to the mic.
robertzombie
Overbomber

What do you mean? It sounds fine to us... :?
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

The vocals sounds overdrived, like there was too much gain on the mic.

The other thing is a well known problem for most dynamic microphones. If you sing very close into the mic, you get much more bass presence - nice on a quiet voice (like in ballads) but if you sing louder/raise your voice you have to avoid hum and pop sounds by increase the distance to the mic
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Listening to the Mumble Crash and Burn now, it's way better than before ;D All keys and piano in sync (apart from the piano bit at the end from 4:20 till 4:40ish), sounding great!

But I have to agree with DocSommer for the vocals. They are a bit overdrived, but also the drums are a bit too loud and clipping, I think...

Apart from those little things, the overall mix is rather good, only when you use that extra delays on the vocals, then the vocals are a bit too loud.

Just some advice of course, it sounds good for the rest AND it remains a surprising cover version :)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
robertzombie
Overbomber

I've still got all the individual .wav files so I'll have a tinker.
robertzombie
Overbomber

OK, I turned the drums down, turned the vocals down to reduce the distortion on the "hum of the power lines..." bit, done "click-pop removal" and "clip restoration" (adobe audition).

I think this one sounds better :)

uploading atm
Izzy HaveMercy

robertzombie wrote:OK, I turned the drums down, turned the vocals down to reduce the distortion on the "hum of the power lines..." bit, done "click-pop removal" and "clip restoration" (adobe audition).

I think this one sounds better :)

uploading atm
Gonna have a listen to the new one when ULed then...

Now, you HAVE the separate WAVs you said eh? :innocent:

IZ.
robertzombie
Overbomber

here it is: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 5668182021

yes, I have all the wav's for the first one posted above and this updated one.

so anything you need I have :)
Izzy HaveMercy

robertzombie wrote:here it is: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 5668182021

yes, I have all the wav's for the first one posted above and this updated one.

so anything you need I have :)
I still hear those annoying crunchy bits, and it's in the drums I fear... And the vocals could do with a bit of enhancing (low cuts, boost hi freq, well... some average vocal brightening).

If you are willing to give it out of your hands for a second (I understand if you don't want to fear not ;) ), AND if it is not more than 100 MB to YouSendIt, I'll gladly give it a go to mix (I mean 'enhance the sound', because the mixing in general (volume and balance-wise) is good ;D )

Cheers!

IZ.
mh
Above the Chemist

Aye, I think the clipping in the drums is from the original recording, I'm afraid :( They come nowhere peaking on the MP3, anyway.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
robertzombie
Overbomber

I'll up' the .wav then :)
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

Less than a 100MB? Doubtful, IZ. Depends on how many tracks it was recorded and in what format. But I agree it needs sound enhancement in the areas you pointed out; so if you would lend these fellas a hand they'll have a much better sound for it. I just hope the slight distortion on the drums isn't in the source file. The proximity effect on the vocals makes them muffled; I even heard some popping noise here and there. Aren't we the meticulous bunch... ;D
robertzombie
Overbomber

The .wav file is 50,000 KBs

(you do mean the entire song as a .wav file, and not all the individual instrumental bits, right?)
James Blast
Banned

Stay tuned for our next exiting episode when Iz says: Indeed ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
robertzombie
Overbomber

The Mumbles - Crash And Burn (Updated, WAV)

if anyone wants a go, feel free :)
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

Indeed, Brother Blast ;D. @ Robertzombie : IZ needs all the separate .wav files in order to perform his aural surgery. You can't separate the drums and the vocals in a stereo file. To quote Mr. Spock : that defies logic (and for the Logic users around here : yeah, that too :P). By the way, 50,000KBs is 50MB. So if there are more than two stereo files of that length in your project - and I assume there are - then you won't be able to upload the entire project in one go. You'd be better off putting all the .wav files on CD- R and send them to IZ by snail mail...
robertzombie
Overbomber

it shall be done 8) ... (the snail mail bit)
Izzy HaveMercy

Ahráyeph wrote:Indeed, Brother Blast ;D. @ Robertzombie : IZ needs all the separate .wav files in order to perform his aural surgery. You can't separate the drums and the vocals in a stereo file. To quote Mr. Spock : that defies logic (and for the Logic users around here : yeah, that too :P). By the way, 50,000KBs is 50MB. So if there are more than two stereo files of that length in your project - and I assume there are - then you won't be able to upload the entire project in one go. You'd be better off putting all the .wav files on CD- R and send them to IZ by snail mail...
In effing DEED :twisted:

Yes, sorry for that small misunderstanding there... I have been working with a lot of MIDI stuff of late, so I have people that can send me 48 tracks with YouSendIt, for the simple Reason (nice proggie, BTW) that a MIDI file is not as big as a WAV file ;D

I need the separate files, yes. If you have 12 tracks, that should make at about 600 MB, which is a bit too much to send via the Webbie... I received Roberts PM already and the CDR is on its way to the Fair Country....

Now, to defy Mr.Spock and his sorry attempt at Vulcan logic: you COULD separate drums and vocals in a stereo WAV file of course... if the song consisted ONLY of vocals and drums, you could pan the vox L and the drums R, then use a Left/right-to-Stereo plugin and rip the track apart ;D

Tssss...geekiness rules! :notworthy:

IZ.
Last edited by Izzy HaveMercy on 27 Nov 2006, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.
mh
Above the Chemist

Better yet, maybe upload a short sample of the drums WAV and we can see if a remix is in order in the first place.

Assuming they're electronic drums, it should be easy enough to just re-record them if need be. It would be a shame if this didn't work out right cos it's definitely one of the most interesting and original Sisters cover versions of all time.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Izzy HaveMercy

mh wrote:Better yet, maybe upload a short sample of the drums WAV and we can see if a remix is in order in the first place.

Assuming they're electronic drums, it should be easy enough to just re-record them if need be. It would be a shame if this didn't work out right cos it's definitely one of the most interesting and original Sisters cover versions of all time.
Not a bad thought sir! But I'd like a stab at the vocals as well, and I'm going to give the end-piano a snip and a nudge in the right direction ;D So I need the whole bunch.

Then again, maybe the drums were a bit overdone in mixing. If Robert posts a snippet of the source-drums, we can hear it indeed. Provided it is easy to find in that proggie he uses, I know in Cubase/Nuendo it is easy enuff...

IZ.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Not so much a "remix" as a "vs" :lol:
Izzy HaveMercy

Dark wrote:Not so much a "remix" as a "vs" :lol:
We should do a Battle then ;D

IZ.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Rerecording the drums would be a bit of a task... :(

I'll post a drum sample in a bit :)
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Dark wrote:Not so much a "remix" as a "vs" :lol:
We should do a Battle then ;D

IZ.
Heh, I'd kick your ass, and have the sampled crowd cheering for me. ;)