Bands you have discovered for yourself this year

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
aims
Overbomber

In fairness, it was the tube video that got me into Foetus, but playing me Ramrod helped. So no, I don't suppose you do get away with that one :kiss:
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Hmm. i can't think of any.

But i can think of getting disappointed with Lonsai Maikov. Previously i'd only heard 2 songs of his, Blood of the Sun, and another, and i thought they were truly something else, real pagan-spirited stuff and not the kind of pseudo-paganism that just tries to mimick paganism 2000 years ago without heart and soul.
But this year i stumbled across his myspace-page (what Devil made me surf around there i could not tell!) and was far less impressed with all my imaginations about him shattered.
i don't know, perhaps unfairly, cause i didn't stick around to find out much more, but i was frightened of the "first impression". Still.

For some reason or another, i had the idea that he's from Poland, but lo' and behold, he was from France which brings to my mind a very different set of associations and so forth.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Arch Deviant
Amphetamine Filth

boudicca wrote:The singer out of 16 horsepower sounds a lot like Kirk Brandon, don't you think?

Ouch! Claire.
One sounds like a man the other sounds like Norman Wisdom - Aye, I Liberate, I Liberate, Mister Grimsdale !.

Johnny Cash/Neil Diamond !/?
Y quedo llorando, llorando, llorando, llorando por tu amor
DerekR
Doobie Brother

The Pipettes (can I marry them all, please?)

Altogether now...."PULL SHAPES!" :notworthy:
Arch Deviant
Amphetamine Filth

DerekR wrote:The Pipettes (can I marry them all, please?)

Altogether now...."PULL SHAPES!" :notworthy:
Nearly as sexy as the Lillettes ....now what would you do with them, Derek R?

DerekR
Doobie Brother

Arch Deviant wrote:Nearly as sexy as the Lillettes ....now what would you do with them, Derek R?
Trust me, you really, really don't want to know :wink: :innocent:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

@ Arch Deviant - :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol:
I love that song though!
DerekR wrote:
Arch Deviant wrote:Nearly as sexy as the Lillettes ....now what would you do with them, Derek R?
The terrible thing is, I think I do know. And I think it involves a certain item of wipe-clean furniture... :eek: :lol:

And now I'm going for a lobotomy.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
christophe
Overbomber

DerekR wrote:The Pipettes (can I marry them all, please?)

No, you can't marry them all, only the blondes.

the left one is taken :twisted: :notworthy:
Another Shade of You.
James Blast
Banned

I've got a pretty good idea what Mr.R would do with all that tottie too. ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Arch Deviant
Amphetamine Filth

boudicca wrote:@ Arch Deviant - :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol:
I love that song though!
I prefer 'When Im Cleaning Windows' by George Formby. It's in a similar vein as the Brandon/Wisdom composition but done with a bit more panache. :lol:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Arch Deviant wrote:
boudicca wrote:@ Arch Deviant - :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol:
I love that song though!
I prefer 'When Im Cleaning Windows' by George Formby. It's in a similar vein as the Brandon/Wisdom composition but done with a bit more panache. :lol:
Norman wisdom is big in Albania you know... do you think Spear Of Destiny got to number one there? :innocent:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Err, where to start, that's the question :lol:

I don't even keep proper records as to see about when I discovered stuff, really :oops:

Major discoveries were Genesis, Hawkwind and more stunning (mostly seventies) stuff, all thanks to Mr. Blast :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Thanks to Koen I've discovered Madrugada, joining the Antwerp Crew to see Bauhaus saw the discovery of that great band. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Mr. Ray tipped me Fad Gadget, which became one of my favourites over the last couple of months. Someone from the outside world pointed me towards Steve Reich, José Gonzáles, very fond of these two as well! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Undoubtedly forgetting bunches of stuff the great people of Heartland let me know! :notworthy:

And then I discovered some more Krautrock for myself, which was all good as well :D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

you forgot VDGG and Shriekback* (again) Z

*was that last year?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
wild bill buttock
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Tapping the vein, Their album "The damage" is fan-bastard-tastic.
I've enjoyed what I've heard by The daughters of Bristol, and feel free to give me a damn good flaming but I like The Horrors, so bumholes Whoremongers!
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
sultan2075
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:
boudicca wrote:The singer out of 16 horsepower sounds a lot like Kirk Brandon, don't you think?
No, but that's because I've no idea who Kirk Brandon is. Care to enlighten me?

(for the record, I always thought he sounded like Patsy Cline in a weird, not-even-remotely-alike-but-there-is-something-about-it kind of way)
He's the chappie out of Theatre Of Hate (and later Spear Of Destiny). I don't know, the first time I heard 16 horsepower I was racking my brain trying to think "where have I heard that voice before?"

Not that that's meant as a criticism. He doesn't sound exactly the same, there's just a timbre.
Ah, thank you. I have a 2 CD set of ToH around here somewhere, but I've never listened to it. My wife has no patience with my 'dump it all on the desk and sort it out next month' approach to, well...nearly everything; consequently she put it, er, somewhere. Don't know where. Maybe I'll find it soon, hopefully, as I really wanted to listen to it, and was quite excited when a friend gave it to me a few months ago.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

DerekR wrote:
Beanbag? :innocent:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Big Si
School Bully

weebleswobble wrote:
DerekR wrote:
Beanbag? :innocent:
Don't forget the handcuffs :wink:

Forgot about Jah Division
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Kirlian camera

excellent electronic stuff from Italy

http://www.myspace.com/unidentifiedlight

Drifting is just fantastic!!
ormfdmrush
Slight Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote:
Arch Deviant wrote:
ormfdmrush wrote: Woven Hand?
16Horsepower
Bloody great band. I have been a fan for going on ten years. David Eugene Edwards has a very distinctive sound, and his vocals are consistently good. Never got to see them, unfortunately. If you like them, you might want to check out Jay Munly's Jimmy Carter Syndrome. It got less fire-and-brimstone, but it ups the creepy factor quite a bit. I'm pretty sure most of 16 HP guest on it as well.
yeah, great band
mistaken, because i actually remember only Edwards' appearance, sorry
discovered them this yeah, too
i'm really glad
another cowboy post-punk, but not like Neph :lol:
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Finally I discovered the two Fleetwood Mac albums (Fleetwood Mac & Rumours) this year. I knew the band before, but never cared to give it a listen.

And then Francis pointed out that The Sisters played the bass-riff of The Chain somewhere in 84 during a Sister Ray-jam. One of my favourite recordings (Nijmegen 5/6/84) did have an awesome impro on bass during that jam, but I never knew it originated from The Chain.

And when I was on the road to Paris with the Belgian Boys, I finally got introduced to The Chain when listening to ZenoFM :wink: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I was very impressed with it. Got the Rumours album a few weeks later and especially the Stevie Nicks' songs blew me away: Dreams, Gold Dust Woman, Rhiannon (from the Fleetwood Mac-album that I got from a friend) are all great and get frequent play on jamaican shores...
in dub we trust
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

James Blast wrote:you forgot VDGG and Shriekback* (again) Z

*was that last year?
I think they were :D I did however forget to give King Crimson and the Tangs a mention, :notworthy:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:

*was that last year?
I think they were :D I did however forget to give King Crimson and the Tangs a mention, :notworthy:
and The God Machine :innocent:
in dub we trust
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

radiojamaica wrote:
Obviousman wrote:

*was that last year?
How can I :eek:

I'll just get more :notworthy:'s going :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Obviousman wrote:
radiojamaica wrote:
Obviousman wrote: I think they were :D I did however forget to give King Crimson and the Tangs a mention, :notworthy:
How can I :eek:

I'll just get more :notworthy:'s going :lol:
So glad I introduced that smiley on the boards years ago! ;D :notworthy:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
James Blast
Banned

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:So glad I introduced that smiley on the boards years ago! ;D :notworthy:
yeah but you can't do that at the mo ;D :oops:
~ Peter Steele