Oh dear what happened to the old days???

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
scoop
Road Kill

Just watched dvd of 2006 concert. Oh things arnt what they used to be. Andrew was fine but the other 2 looked like they were acting out Spinal Tap or The Bad news tour. Vim Fuego and Colin Grigson come to mind!! Im glad im an old bastard now and enjoyed them when i did.

RIP
Scoop :kiss:
Shut ya mouth and give yr arse a chance
Badass
Amphetamine Filth

scoop wrote:Just watched dvd of 2006 concert. Oh things arnt what they used to be. Andrew was fine but the other 2 looked like they were acting out Spinal Tap or The Bad news tour. Vim Fuego and Colin Grigson come to mind!! Im glad im an old bastard now and enjoyed them when i did.

RIP
See what you mean but come on, its not all that bad. Better than bands who try to look and sound and feel the same like 30 years ago. It just doesnt work. Time is change... :wink:
This is not revenche, this is punishment
wild bill buttock
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Badass wrote:
scoop wrote:Just watched dvd of 2006 concert. Oh things arnt what they used to be. Andrew was fine but the other 2 looked like they were acting out Spinal Tap or The Bad news tour. Vim Fuego and Colin Grigson come to mind!! Im glad im an old bastard now and enjoyed them when i did.

RIP
See what you mean but come on, its not all that bad. Better than bands who try to look and sound and feel the same like 30 years ago. It just doesnt work. Time is change... :wink:
no,its not all bad.At least you never paid out hard earned cash to actually see Von and his merry metallers.

Absolutely Badass who in they're right mind would want to see a band like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwdCtUaL7iY today?Or Bauhaus or the Cult doing all their old stuff quite brilliantly on tours this year?
I BLOODY WELL DO!

It would have been nice to have been able to add Fields of the nephilim but...... :cry:
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
mh
Above the Chemist

They just evolved, same way as any other band that isn't dead in the water does.

The lack of new releases for over 13 years means it's tricky to trace that evolution, but if you compared 2 early classics - say Reptile House and FALAA - you can see the same process at work.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Badass
Amphetamine Filth

wild bill buttock wrote:
Badass wrote:

RIP
no,its not all bad.At least you never paid out hard earned cash to actually see Von and his merry metallers.

Absolutely Badass who in they're right mind would want to see a band like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwdCtUaL7iY today?Or Bauhaus or the Cult doing all their old stuff quite brilliantly on tours this year?
I BLOODY WELL DO!

It would have been nice to have been able to add Fields of the nephilim but...... :cry:
I bloody well liked :von: and the happy metallers on this tour. Actually they f**king rocked. And i am quite happy that they didn't wear hats on stage. Kind of uncool these days.... :lol:
EmeraldSignal
Amphetamine Filth

RIP
I'm inclined to agree, I saw 'em a few years back and when the smoke finally cleared Von appeared but he looked like the bald bloke out of the Crystal Maze'........naturally I didn't go back I was so afraid.
Yeah I think it is 'cos I'm geeting older but can't help feeling that the plot has been lost somewhere along the line..............but that is another thread.
Stumpy Pete
Road Kill
Location: Eating a pile of Meat. But I came in to wash my Feet. Famous Potatoes!

I am really rather sickened by people so stuck in nostalgia that they won't let a band change over time. Personally, I think that the current line up is fantabulous. I don't want them to sound like they did in 1984, or like they did in 1999. I want them to sound the way THEY want to sound. I like the rollicking stonking rip-snorting monster that they are live. Y'all are just nostaligic, and that' sadd.

Why am I doing this? I said it all back in the 2006 bitch-about-the-band thread from when the MASSIVE TOUR THAT YOU SHOULD ALL BE GLAD YOU GOT kicked off. If you don't like it, don't gotta see it, do you? You can always stay home, listen to the records, turn the lights low, smoke clove cigarettes and pretend you haven't put on 50 pounds and lost your hair in the intervening years since 1984. Wankers. Then you can cry yourselves to sleep because your clothes old black clothse don't fit.

Yes, I am surly because I learned to detest whinging in the joint. Sod off if ye don't like it.
I'm Stumpy Pete oh yes I am
I like to eat brains from a can
The other day I ate some yams
I'm Stumpy Pete oh yes I am!

I'm Stumpy Pete
So kiss my feet
They're made of wheat
I'm Stumpy Pete!
wild bill buttock

Stumpy Pete wrote:I am really rather sickened by people so stuck in nostalgia that they won't let a band change over time. Personally, I think that the current line up is fantabulous. I don't want them to sound like they did in 1984, or like they did in 1999. I want them to sound the way THEY want to sound. I like the rollicking stonking rip-snorting monster that they are live. Y'all are just nostaligic, and that' sadd.

Why am I doing this? I said it all back in the 2006 bitch-about-the-band thread from when the MASSIVE TOUR THAT YOU SHOULD ALL BE GLAD YOU GOT kicked off. If you don't like it, don't gotta see it, do you? You can always stay home, listen to the records, turn the lights low, smoke clove cigarettes and pretend you haven't put on 50 pounds and lost your hair in the intervening years since 1984. Wankers. Then you can cry yourselves to sleep because your clothes old black clothse don't fit.

Yes, I am surly because I learned to detest whinging in the joint. Sod off if ye don't like it.
EmeraldSignal
Amphetamine Filth

This is not the first time comments (i.e. both opinions) like these have been made.
What is surprising is the resentment and the abusive language that seems to be coming from the latter day saints.
I thought everyone on here was entitled to their opinion and had the right to say as they liked so long as they didn't insult anyone else.
This all controlling attitude is endemic not just here but everywhere. We really have entered the dark days of the Empire. (that's star wars btw) :D
EmeraldSignal
Amphetamine Filth

because I come from the age of subversives here's something else you can't say on this site.

THE m*****n. :) .................anyway on a serious note. I apologise for upsetting anybody.
wild bill buttock

Don't take it so serious EmeraldSignal.
I don't.
In fact I'm just off to listen to the records, turn the lights low, smoke clove cigarettes and pretend I haven't put on 50 pounds and lost my hair in the intervening years since 1984.

And maybe have a wank
EmeraldSignal
Amphetamine Filth

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
reanimate
Road Kill

I may not be a Sisters long timer - I only started listening to them in 1986 / 1987.

My opinion is that once the core band members had left - that's hussey, gunn & marx then Dr A became that big "thundering" sound and the last remaining human bass sound was taken over by a machine, and to be frank, it sounds crap.

Remember that bass? and cheesy yet full on lead?

That and the fact that we all loved that "Anaconda sound" drum machine.

The truth is that live, they lack that jamming, stranegly relaxed kick-ass Sisters sound, its all so planned and rolled out.

And I've thought that for 16 years now.

And is it me or do they play the songs slower now?!
Stumpy Pete
Road Kill
Location: Eating a pile of Meat. But I came in to wash my Feet. Famous Potatoes!

It's you. They play them faster.
I'm Stumpy Pete oh yes I am
I like to eat brains from a can
The other day I ate some yams
I'm Stumpy Pete oh yes I am!

I'm Stumpy Pete
So kiss my feet
They're made of wheat
I'm Stumpy Pete!
DGP00666
Amphetamine Filth

scoop wrote:Oh dear what happened to the old days???
They're gone... for real.
You are very very bad people and you must be punished
Badass
Amphetamine Filth

DGP00666 wrote:
scoop wrote:Oh dear what happened to the old days???
They're gone... for real.
How true...
more-sedatives-pls
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

It will always return again though
A Summer of love is a momentary and transient thing

Winter will always return again

(says AC)
Immodium for the people
bushman*pm

I BLOODY WELL DO!

It would have been nice to have been able to add Fields of the nephilim but...... Crying or Very sad

totally seconded dude!
in the last yeqar (i think!) ive seen a few bands ive wanted to see for ages and got to see
TSOM, Bauhaus, Cult, Cure & New Model Army and apart from NMA, they all totally blew me away with the overall mix of old and new depending on who was playing!
:notworthy:
LAND ROVER: THE BEAST FOUR BY FOUR BY FEAR! KICKS THE ARSE OFF RICEBURNERS!
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

i resent being described as a latter day saint simply because i still love the sisters and get excited at their activities today. as a fan of nearly 22 years i feel i am entitled to the tag "diehard lifelong fan of the band since before gary marx left". and in a nutshell this line-up is the best live line-up since then. fact.

actually chris "robobreezers" catalyst isn't half as posturing as marx was (an excellent live performer gary marx -fukking shame "wake" was filmed after he'd gone 'cause it's a one man show without him) and rock 'n' roll cliches is what the sister have always revelled in...you know -since the begining. :roll: :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
EmeraldSignal
Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:i resent being described as a latter day saint simply because i still love the sisters and get excited at their activities today. as a fan of nearly 22 years i feel i am entitled to the tag "diehard lifelong fan of the band since before gary marx left". and in a nutshell this line-up is the best live line-up since then. fact.

actually chris "robobreezers" catalyst isn't half as posturing as marx was (an excellent live performer gary marx -fukking shame "wake" was filmed after he'd gone 'cause it's a one man show without him) and rock 'n' roll cliches is what the sister have always revelled in...you know -since the begining. :roll: :von:
'Latter Day Saints' merely refers to those who get angry at the old timers expressing their opinion (and by reading your post that aint you).

{if people like the sisters and get excited by their new stuff - all well and good. I have no problem with that. And yer absolutely right about the cliches.}

What people should be asking the old timers is, 'if you dont like the new stuff, why the f**** are you stilll here?' That would be a very interesting discussion
robertzombie
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:as a fan of nearly 22 years i feel i am entitled to the tag "diehard lifelong fan of the band since before gary marx left". and in a nutshell this line-up is the best live line-up since then. fact.
sorry but...
scoop
Road Kill

What people should be asking the old timers is, 'if you dont like the new stuff, why the f**** are you stilll here?' That would be a very interesting discussion
OK OK I just like the older live stuff, sorry guys and gals. There are sadooos like me on every band forum from dare i say it All saints (Bah) to Zodiac Mindwarp. Or A to Z hehehe

Yes i maybe stuck in a timewarp but so what isnt everyone! and isnt time passing us by quicker these days? The world is speeding up! Christmas is here once again my god its so quick these days. Mind we did have some fun at "Pre War" Sisters concerts!!!

Kind Regards
Scoop (Just an old bastardo dont worry about it!)
EmeraldSignal
Amphetamine Filth

Like you Scoop, I much prefer the old stuff live. And the reason why I'm still here is that I think it's really cool that a band can keep going without being pimped out by some record company. That is so against the system - subversive infact, which is what the sisters were about (as well as the rock n roll cliches).

They have always been an inspiration (although I dont agree with everything they do) 'that virgin interview' being a perfect example.

And I've always seen them as being more than just the music. As :von: said somewhere, that once the lights were down and the smoke came on it was a chance for people to find themselves (or sommit like that).

I could go on................but it's just refreshing to get yer opinion in without being accused of 'not letting the band grow or something to that efect'

Kind Regards
EmeraldSignal (Just another old bastardo dont worry about it!)
scoop
Road Kill

EmeraldSignal wrote:Like you Scoop, I much prefer the old stuff live. And the reason why I'm still here is that I think it's really cool that a band can keep going without being pimped out by some record company. That is so against the system - subversive infact, which is what the sisters were about (as well as the rock n roll cliches).

They have always been an inspiration (although I dont agree with everything they do) 'that virgin interview' being a perfect example.

And I've always seen them as being more than just the music. As :von: said somewhere, that once the lights were down and the smoke came on it was a chance for people to find themselves (or sommit like that).

I could go on................but it's just refreshing to get yer opinion in without being accused of 'not letting the band grow or something to that efect'

Kind Regards
EmeraldSignal (Just another old bastardo dont worry about it!)

Spot on mate. Great to know theres an other old bastardo here.
Safety in numbers!!

Regards
Scoop
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

scoop wrote:Great to know theres an other old bastardo here.
Safety in numbers!!

Regards
Scoop
You know you are a majority on here eh?

The people under 45 can be counted on the hand of a lousy lumberjacker... ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...