Record Collector review

Post your reviews of Sisters-related material or interviews with Sisters-related musicians here. And don't believe the hype: 1985 most definitely is a fashion statement.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Apologies if this is a repost, but I found this in this month's copy of Record Collector:
First And Last And Always *** Rhino 5105575792
Floodland **** Rhino 5105575802
Vision Thing ** Rhino 5105575822
80s goff band om 'still sound rather good' shock
So near, yet so far... WEA and a fanbase of spotty-goths-tunred-accountants will mourn the absence of Alice and Temple Of Love from these otherwise excellent reissues. Chief Sister Andrew Eldritch has held onto those particular family jewels.
On the Sisters' 1985 debut, First & Last & Always, Doktor Avalanche's stark beats and the reverberated chorus of That Guitarist's guitar reveal their post-punk roots, as well as a reverence for the likes of Lou Reed. The six bonus tracks will be too tinny for most, but Poison Door's twisted glitter gives it dark charm.
By 1987, Hussey et al were out and Patricia Morrison was in. What she contributed other than a touch of funereal glamour is still debatable, but Floodland was a masterpiece. Its grim atmospheres and sense of grandeur made it the gothic-rock templace for ever more. This Corrosion's choir and no-brain chorus was destined to become a radio hit and is an obvious highlight. Get this for the four B-side bonus tracks, inclucing Torch and Colours.
In 1989, Eldrich recruited a bunch of metal musicians, which wasn't a good move. Vision Thing featured some reasonably anthemic rock songs, but elsewhere it was comedy-goth nonsense. Even the extras make it average album, not an essential one.
Joel McIver
Not bad. Keith will certainly agree with the two-stars review of Vision Thing. :lol:
Lightshade
Road Kill

comedy-goth ?

I heard that music journalists don't get a good education,at least thats what i seem to experience everytime i see such crap like this review.Probably they pick them up from the street eating garbage-can food.
Anyway,any reasonable person can hear that Vision Thing isn't a goth album... it's just pure class 3-d intelligent rock!People who can't cope with it aren't worthy that they listen to the Sisters ...

And when i think of comedy goth than i'll probably think of Rammstein (or how the hell do you spell it),Evanescence and other comedy hillario goth.
eotunun
Overbomber

An those journalists never know when it´s time for the coat.
There is shadow under this red rock
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Lightshade wrote:it's just pure class 3-d intelligent rock!
I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree on that one... :lol:
Last edited by Dark on 31 Dec 2006, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
Lightshade
Road Kill

I always found the VT album having very good lyrics to it,intelligent like i said,and infact it's not the right word for it.. it's more like "a wiseman speaking to his folllowers" sorth of thing :D :von: .Also the VT album sits in my cd player more often than any other sister album.
James Blast
Banned

At the time, I rushed out and bought VT. Played it for a week or more, solid, then gave up on it. I was even embarressed to mention it to people I had been plugging the Sisters to. Down the years I have learned to love VT and I honestly think that line-up were thee most live kick-ass rock outfit they would still like to be.

The Sisters Of Mercy need a full time bass player - FACT! IMO

just listen to Neverland (full length) it's all bass
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Silver_Owl
The Don

James Blast wrote: The Sisters Of Mercy need a full time bass player - FACT! IMO
I'm down with you Brother Blast!
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
James Blast
Banned

Hom_Corleone wrote:
James Blast wrote: The Sisters Of Mercy need a full time bass player - FACT! IMO
I'm down with you Brother Blast!
Can I get a Revr'nd Image Bruthas an Sistahs?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Nic
Slight Overbomber

Oi oi Revr'nd! :notworthy:
All We Ever Wanted Was Everything
James Blast
Banned

thanke
~ Peter Steele