The Clash @ Royal Park Pub circa 1985

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Trying desperately to put some chronology to my memories. Does anyone here remember The Clash doing a very unplugged 'gig' at the back of the Royal Park Pub in Leeds. Was it 84, 85 or 86?

All assistance gratefully received.

Meanwhile, I'll go and join the old geezers playing dominoes in the corner...
Go to sleep now, Francis.
mik
Chameleons Guru

They played Leeds University refectory on the rescheduled 'Combat Rock' tour about 84 - which I attented courtesy of the St Johns Ambulance Brigade!
Might not have been trendy but I got to see a s**t load of bands for nowt when everyone else was watching Top Of The Pops :)
If memory serves it was not uncommon for some of the band to go busking before gigs - occasionally to people queuing to get into the 'proper' gig - and given the proximity of the Royal Park to the 'fec its seems a distinct possibility that this happened, although it might equally have been the Fav or the Fenton.
Hope this helps a little.
Mik.
Currently the proud owner of a f**ked bulletin board :) http://forums.wishville.co.uk
JansenClone
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Thrash Harry wrote:Trying desperately to put some chronology to my memories. Does anyone here remember The Clash doing a very unplugged 'gig' at the back of the Royal Park Pub in Leeds. Was it 84, 85 or 86?
It was summer 84. They landed in Leeds and played at the Phono first, mostly before anyone knew they were around. After that they busked at the Royal Park then outside the Faversham before walking down to the refectory and famously busked the queue for The Alarm. Which really p****d them as you can imagine. They were crashing over at a bedsit in Woodhouse, after asking if anyone had anywhere they could stop. Well, you would wouldn't you...

Michael
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

JansenClone wrote:
Thrash Harry wrote:Trying desperately to put some chronology to my memories. Does anyone here remember The Clash doing a very unplugged 'gig' at the back of the Royal Park Pub in Leeds. Was it 84, 85 or 86?
It was summer 84. They landed in Leeds and played at the Phono first, mostly before anyone knew they were around. After that they busked at the Royal Park then outside the Faversham before walking down to the refectory and famously busked the queue for The Alarm. Which really p****d them as you can imagine. They were crashing over at a bedsit in Woodhouse, after asking if anyone had anywhere they could stop. Well, you would wouldn't you...

Michael

Definitely sounds like the one I'm thinking of. Must have been fairly late summer as I was abroad from April til about August that year.
Go to sleep now, Francis.