Know your Sister.

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
James Blast
Banned

Nature should not be tampered with is my mantra, but these works I hear as 'interpretations' hence the parenthesis.

And yer all being such Colin Hunts to the Viking Boke, gie 'im a brekk.
He posted something we might like to hear. Ye didnae huv tae click the link. :|

now gimme hell about the Viking bit ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
sultan2075
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Nature should not be tampered with is my mantra, but these works I hear as 'interpretations' hence the parenthesis.

I've not listened, as I'm on dialup and can't be arsed (isn't that what you island folk say?:D ), but yeah, I agree. There's no reason for the guy to be beaten up on, and there's slightly less reason for him to have responded in kind.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

James Blast wrote:Nature should not be tampered with is my mantra, but these works I hear as 'interpretations' hence the parenthesis.

You know what really starts to scare me? I actually understand Colin Hunts ;D

Oh no, I'm turning into a Cockney! :eek:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Berkeley Hunt, I believe.

Origin of the term "you berk."
анархия
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

I like Cupid Stunt, but that's just my opinion ;D
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Izzy HaveMercy

weebleswobble wrote:I like Cupid Stunt, but that's just my opinion ;D
You mean like Cunning Stunt? ;D

(btw, I like Colin Hunt better, as a reference to that irritating character from The Fast Show ;) )

IZ.
Izzy HaveMercy

I gave them a listen.

The first one, Iguana, does nothing for me.

The Second, the Suzanne rendition, has a certain appeal, because of the lovely synth pads you use, gives it a very nice OMD/Numan feel, which I like. Only the bassline is not so good, sound-wise, I'd use another preset.

Reptile Theme then. Sounds like a cheap R&B thing, and I suspected some 'Yeah, ah, ah, uh-uh' to kick in. Glad it didn't tho ;) For the rest, too tinny, to 'cheap' sounding to keep me interested.

Last one, Black and Red Signs, sounds like a MIDI version all over, something you hear as background music for online flower shops. The background voice is appalling :|

Overall, sounds too cheap and MIDI to be really catchy, although I really like the 'Suzanne' thingy. Work that out a bit more, ask someone here to do vocals over it, and you can be on the 'while we are waiting' thing IMO ;D

I would recommend throwing out that Casio or whatever you use to make these songs and start fiddling with some good VST instruments. It will greatly benefit your sound.

The compositions are good enough, tehnically speaking it is played well, in sync, etc etc, just the sounds you use are cheap. Except for that OMD/Numan synth I mentioned, keep that one ;)

IZ.
Izzy HaveMercy

On the other hand, Chris, I found myself tailwagging while playing "Pacman needs another drink"! ;D :notworthy:

You bastard, that tune is gonna reside in my head for the rest of the week now! :twisted:

IZ.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Dark wrote:Does Eldritch Care About The Mumbles? ;)
Do The Mumbles care about Eldritch? :twisted:
Izzy HaveMercy

robertzombie wrote:
Dark wrote:Does Eldritch Care About The Mumbles? ;)
Do The Mumbles care about Eldritch? :twisted:
That's exactly what I thought when I first heard your version of Crash&Burn..:twisted:

IZ.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Do The Mumbles care about Iz? :twisted:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

If Tierkreis didn't, then... :lol: :twisted: :kiss:

(wait for The *** to release something, we'll care about your opinion then, Izzy.)
Mr Mercy
Road Kill

I have found this tread very amussingas as im sure Von wont be getting his knickers in a twist about these covers/interpritations unlike some members on here, infact vons probabley more peeved about all the live bootlegs knocking about!

now back on topic....

I enjoyed your covers chrisE, you have done something differnet with the songs rather than just goth them up!
I thought Iguana (driven like the snow) was very dramatic and almost classical while Blood song II (suzanne) while more ambient is still very listenable.

I really like intrumental music at night and would probably rather listen to these version than the originals (at night).
so maybe you could put them in the sharing section :wink:
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

:eek:
guns & cars & accidents
ChrisE
Road Kill

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:I gave them a listen.

The first one, Iguana, does nothing for me... etc etc
Thanks for your interesting feedback Izzy! :notworthy:
"Iguana 1997" is my own favourite, because of its "dirty" synths. Totally agree on many of your views about sound/midis etc. As I´ve said before, these tracks are only sketches/ideas.

I´ll often do my sketches in Apple Garageband because of how fast and easy it is to knock down some ideas Everything on these tracks are done in GB, both the playing and programming. Its a great app for sketches, but not great on VST, effects etc. I´ll usually finish my tracks in Reason/Logic.
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:On the other hand, Chris, I found myself tailwagging while playing "Pacman needs another drink"! You bastard, that tune is gonna reside in my head for the rest of the week now!

:twisted: Hah! Stupid catchy cartoon-rock is what I do best! :lol:

C:E
ChrisE
Road Kill

Mr Mercy wrote:I enjoyed your covers chrisE, you have done something differnet with the songs rather than just goth them up!
I thought Iguana (driven like the snow) was very dramatic and almost classical while Blood song II (suzanne) while more ambient is still very listenable.

I really like intrumental music at night and would probably rather listen to these version than the originals (at night).
so maybe you could put them in the sharing section :wink:
Thanks a million for your feedback Mr Mercy. Very nice! :notworthy:.

I´ll gladly put some of them in the sharing section, but I´ll prefer to work a little bit more on them first :wink: .

C:E
John Blond
Road Kill

Well, take a look at some of the websites that share midis by The Sisters and you will notice that all those songs are directly ripped with diffrent instruments. Quite easy to do and then claim it´s your own work.
Izzy HaveMercy

robertzombie wrote:Do The Mumbles care about Iz? :twisted:
Well, in fact, they'd better... :twisted:

IZ.
robertzombie
Overbomber

yes master :notworthy: :oops:
Izzy HaveMercy

Dance, puppets, dance! ;D

IZ.