got anything to say about a new gibson novel?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
MrEddy
Amphetamine Filth

http://www.nthposition.com/reviews_gibson.html

This looks interesting... I must be totally out of the loop because I had no idea about its release. I've always been a bit of a fan; Virtual Light remains one of my favorite books. I wonder whether any of you have read this.
MrEddy
Amphetamine Filth

Snub Nose wrote:I can second that Eddy - I'm also a big big Gibson fan, Virtual light
is excellent, and Neuromancer blew we away when I read it in

I asked in Books etc. (UK bookstore) about 'pattern recognition' afew months ago,
they said it wasn't released in the UK until next year or something..
and it was only released in a hard back edition abroad, or something
weird like that
That's fairly typical, if a little suprising because I'm sure his books will sell like hot cakes and yet there is little advertising. I'll have a look myself, or more likely, I'll get an American to send me a copy (they do have their uses, it seems).

Nice to meet you, Snub Nose. 1999 seems fairly recent, have you read the companion novel Metrophage by Richard Kadrey?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

borders in leeds has had the hardback edition of "pattern recognition" in for a few weeks... :?:

couldnt really get into idoru, but i've read all the others and they were all superb - even the difference engine 8)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
MrEddy
Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:borders in leeds has had the hardback edition of "pattern recognition" in for a few weeks... :?:

couldnt really get into idoru, but i've read all the others and they were all superb - even the difference engine 8)
The difference engine is one of the better ones, especially if your technically minded, I think. Beleive it or not, I left my copy on a lamp and the last few pages were singed to f**k and I was deprived the last ~2 pages.

Idoru's very good also, but I have a particular facination with Japanesse style, so my oppinion is biased. Even still, it definatly belongs within the triogy.
MrEddy
Amphetamine Filth

Snub Nose wrote:No I havn't read Metrophage - I understand its available free on the
web - in what way does it relate to Neuromancer?

They're simply two of the erliest books in the style; both are fairly sloppy, cheap pulp works and both have an undenyable sense of asthetics and dynamics. Certainly, the two books
feel very simmilar.
Moz Magister
Road Kill

Hmm, I'm out of the loop too, I had no idea there was a new one.

I'll hunt it out tomorrow.

As a slight aside is cyberpunk more or less relevant now everybody has access to the web?
Have Fun!

"As one door closes, another slams in your face"
RobF
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

wasn't advertised well was it?! I only found out because Gibson came to Waterstones in Nottingham, gave a talk and signed copies (yes I'm a massively lucky wanker)

It's a cracking read, but as with all Gibson's I think it'll take a couple of reads to get to the philosophical meat :?

And he's a nice man too, rather vauge and twitchy, but with a brain the size of a planet, who can blame him.
"...by the time I get to Arizona..."
RobF
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

PS. it aint cyberpunk, it's set in the.....GASP.... Present day! :eek:
"...by the time I get to Arizona..."
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I can confirm that Pattern Recognition has been in stores in UK and Ireland in hardback for a couple of months now... I don't have a signed copy.

But I do have a signed copy of Count Zero...And Idoru is my fave so far...
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
MrEddy
Amphetamine Filth

Moz Magister wrote:Hmm, I'm out of the loop too, I had no idea there was a new one.

I'll hunt it out tomorrow.

As a slight aside is cyberpunk more or less relevant now everybody has access to the web?

Not really, people now have more information than they have imagination; few people will ever realise the potential of this technology becuse it becomes merely entertainment. While more people will be proficient with code, in order to do anything interesting with it will surely require greater sophistication and intelligance than ever before; internet defence is now a bussines and so haking must be a bussines also.

The very core of cyberpunk was never really about the internet, though, it was more about a modern mercenary attitude where speed and insight mattered more than money or status, "new" conceptions of identity and new expectations from life. Even in Burning Chrome, the mecanism of his haking is unimportant, what matters is why he did it. In this respect, cyberpunk will always be relevant.