TOL. Original or + wailing harpy version?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Andie
Overbomber

Ach...i likes both.

the original is as it should be...very danceable and utterly groovy

the 92 wailing is of it's time...nasty and brillantly lit...hated it when it came out as it is faster then the original...but now (almost 15 years later) it's found it's place along side Alice 93
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Love both versions but the original edges because of the bsides - possibly on e of the most flawless sisters releases ever...

Incidentally, does anyone know anything about the wailing version of Temple of Love that appeared on one of those Dressed To Kill comps (Stiletto Vamp) & allegedly by "The Sisters"...
I'd have strong doubts about that & not just by the presence of what sounds like live drums!
But does anyone know who or what it really is?!
Mr Mercy
Road Kill

Mr Mercy wrote:Image <-- Purple Lights icon
Elland Road on matchday ! :wink:
King of Byblos
Amphetamine Filth

oddly much prefer the guitare in 92 and never had a problem with Ofra Haza (RIP) and Von's vocal seems a lot more intense too?

think the original 7 much better than the 12" though?
"Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas – only I don't exactly know what they are!"
nigel d

christophe wrote:I like them both, as different songs.
Ditto really

although i was a bit of a Haza fan before she mixed with the sisters.

still got a 12" of "im anin aloo" (p*ss poor spelling alert) released some time before the collaboration.
i am more likely to release an album before the sisters
nigel d

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Pista wrote:Something that always puzzled me.
How do you hold your drink & pogo???
You sweat it out ;)

I'm born in 1975, I KNOW how to pogo. The post 1990ers just get it all wrong, turning it into an arm-flailing contest whilst standing on one tile... A bit like 'Catch the Bat, Release the Bat' Goth Dancing; one might say, but with closed fists and the intent to hit instead of caress... :twisted:

IZ.
if you wre born in 1975, i must say you have learned to pogo far to late, it all happened in 76/77/78.( i couldnt mange more than a short burst now , not without serious headaches and a feelin the next day that my head was about to fall off)
i am more likely to release an album before the sisters
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

nigel d wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Pista wrote:Something that always puzzled me.
How do you hold your drink & pogo???
You sweat it out ;)

I'm born in 1975, I KNOW how to pogo. The post 1990ers just get it all wrong, turning it into an arm-flailing contest whilst standing on one tile... A bit like 'Catch the Bat, Release the Bat' Goth Dancing; one might say, but with closed fists and the intent to hit instead of caress... :twisted:

IZ.
if you wre born in 1975, i must say you have learned to pogo far to late, it all happened in 76/77/78.( i couldnt mange more than a short burst now , not without serious headaches and a feelin the next day that my head was about to fall off)
I know ;) But still, our generation did it better than the new one. As always... ;D

And wasn't it called 'slamdancing' in those days? Or am I mixing up again. Anyhoo, according to what event I went in my younger days, it was either called a "pogo" (at parties) or a "mosh" (aaahhhh the METAL CONCERTS).

I really liked the moshes. They appeared oh so painful but actually all these metalheads are like tattooed teddybears... :lol:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
nitestorm
Road Kill

messed with both versions with the magic of goldwave, came up with, 1992 version to drum break, mixed to original... sounded, strange, but got an idea of what not to do, then tried it the other way round and bingo! sisters remixer am i. but, i do like the clarity of the 1992 one
Not as good as Motorhead, but better than The Birthday Party, which makes us pretty damn good.
Episkopos
Road Kill

more-sedatives-pls wrote:But, seen it happen several times already, when a guy loses his glasses that wrestling crowd does make a big circle until the moment of recovery - and THAT I like.
Glasses and any dance involving gratuitous violence do not mix. I must have got through three pairs a year at metal nights.

Sweet that they stop to recover them. Stupid that the specs were in the first place.

Anyway. Topic.

On technical grounds, I don't really prefer either of them. I think it's apples and oranges to a great extent. It's the same song, yes, but with different personnel and of a different time, and after quite a few reinventions of the Sisters' direction.

That said, the '92 one does get played to buggery, which makes the original slightly easier on the ears. Shame really.
Kiss me, I'm Eldritch.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Episkopos wrote:apples and oranges
I'd agree with you there. :)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
bushman*pm
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Whenever I listen to the origonal I find myself huming the female parts.[/quote]

:innocent:

cant stand the wailing bitch-noise!
the original, 12" and NOTHING else! :twisted:
LAND ROVER: THE BEAST FOUR BY FOUR BY FEAR! KICKS THE ARSE OFF RICEBURNERS!
robertzombie
Overbomber

I prefer the 92 version, mainly because I heard it long before I heard the SGWBM version. The 92 version was one of the first Sisters songs I heard and it was this song that really did it for me.

When I listen to the SGWBM it just doesn't do it for me, sounds too empty I think. I love the real rockiness of the 92 version and the drums sound amazing.

Great to listen to on the way to school 8)
Mr Alphabet
Road Kill

i prefer the original 12", that magical bit when you think it's finished and the drums kick in again
Navarre
Road Kill

I prefer the original version. It sounds way harsh (mostly due to the raw drum machine) and more stressed in a frenzy way despite being slower than 92', it has that feeling on classic post punk stuff (as early bauhaus, joy division).
On the other hand, the 92' is sort of baroque with all that stuff going around, making it sound more mystic and dreamy unlike an expression of agony in the older version.
Pista
Cureboi

My view is that the original is raw & edgy.
Bit like someone with a large qty of marching powder going around the vodkastream :innocent:
But it sort of knocks you off your feet as soon as the main body of the song "explodes".
Not so with the 92 version.
Although it is a lot beefier, it is a bit too comfortable.
Yeah the guitars are really chunky, but it is almost as if they are all sitting in big comfy chairs rather than on old bar stools.

And as for the car alarm.... .....I mean the ghostly harmony offered by whasshername :wink:
I cannot really get my head around why she's on it.
She spoils it for me.
I wish there was a 92 version "sans harpy" so I could really listen again with fear my cat will start marking his territory (the sofa).
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Carpathian Psychonaut

Purple Light wrote:I don't have it untouched by Ofra but, damn it... I love it!!!
Guitars sound so much more clean & heavy.

Don't get me wrong, I love the original of course, but my vote goes for 1992 (Ofra included, I don't mind the wailing, & she looked pretty pretty on TOTP).
Funnily enough I was watching that TOTP clip at the weekend as it popped up on the "A Black Dress Looking Like Mine" double DVD set even though it wasn't on the track listing :roll: I'd forgotten how gorgeous she was and it was good to see both her AND Von (as I see you call the fella) singing live.
bangles wrote:Incidentally, does anyone know anything about the wailing version of Temple of Love that appeared on one of those Dressed To Kill comps (Stiletto Vamp) & allegedly by "The Sisters"...
I'd have strong doubts about that & not just by the presence of what sounds like live drums!
But does anyone know who or what it really is?!
Was that on them ? I got the whole heap of them as a job-lot when they came out so will investigate and share if it proves to be interesting/different/great comedy value.....
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
Carpathian Psychonaut

Investigated and have now stopped laughing.

Dear good grief, what the heck is that monstrosity !? :eek:

bangles, it was indeed credited to The Sisters and it is indeed a version of Temple of Love but that's really where the likeness ends. It's truly awful !

Not only have they tried to copy the track note for note they've even got a fake Ofra Haza warbling too ! Also some of the bizarre inflections the Von-clone tries don't work - and that's being remarkably kind.

If anybody wants to hear it (and you have been warned) then let me know and I'll share............
robertzombie
Overbomber

share away!
Carpathian Psychonaut

robertzombie wrote:share away!
That's very brave :eek:

Watch the Sharing area in a short while........
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

of all the wailing female vocals that crept in more and more -especially "more" :urff: -as time went on, ofra haza (R.I.P.) provided the most-fitting and least (as in not at all) annoying.
overall though TOL'92 is a poor relation -weak vocals and over-cooked (ie not raw) gittars.

actually, i have come to dislike it live these days, as although starting from the drum-break into the extended version works better than a live 7" version IMO, i LOVE the guitar riff played through on it's own, nervously, note for note. :von:

12" original -awesome. :notworthy:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat: