Marian Cover

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
cultureofgreed
Road Kill

I am a long time lurker and first time poster. I did a cover of Marian and thought I would let you guys hear it. If you hate it I can understand, the Sisters are pretty sacred territory for alot of people. But, I hope you guys like it.

Oh, and forgive my hackeyed german.

Marian
more-sedatives-pls
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

not bad at all, dear sir, and welcome to HL !!

The continuous zumm-zumm-zumm-zumm (and zumm till eternity) synths are kinda dull though - I'd prefer a version that's somewhat further from the original myself, but as I'm no musician who am I to comment, right?
Immodium for the people
eotunun
Overbomber

Not bad!
A bit overgoffed though.
There is shadow under this red rock
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

No bad big man
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Rafster
Amphetamine Filth

didn't like it myself, too gothy for me.

but good luck in the future!
Spigel
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Nice job.
Your German sounds just fine to me :innocent:
Welcome
biggy

Your other songs sound like Erasure.
Love ? Love is just f**king with a kiss thrown in !!!
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Not bad at all! :D

But I'd dub the guitars and compress them a little bit (not too much!) to give them more punch. My Belgian Accomplice ARF can comment more on geetars ;)

And you German ain't that bad, only sometimes I can hear the vocal line is just a wee bit too low for your voice ;)

And I would try muting a part sometimes, to keep the sound open. Mute the 'zinzing' sometimes, then let it re-appear, play with volumes to open up the mix.

And I cannot download it :| Fix that!

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
cultureofgreed
Road Kill

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Not bad at all! :D

But I'd dub the guitars and compress them a little bit (not too much!) to give them more punch. My Belgian Accomplice ARF can comment more on geetars ;)

And you German ain't that bad, only sometimes I can hear the vocal line is just a wee bit too low for your voice ;)

And I would try muting a part sometimes, to keep the sound open. Mute the 'zinzing' sometimes, then let it re-appear, play with volumes to open up the mix.

And I cannot download it :| Fix that!

IZ.
Oh...those are some nice suggestions. But, it is just a cover and I feel guilty putting too much energy into it. But I am going to have to do another mix of it anyways because of the way it sounds though a large system and a local club here in Tampa likes it enough to play it fairly often.

I will take this to heart and thanks for the constructive criticism.
digipuppy
Road Kill

cultureofgreed wrote:I am a long time lurker and first time poster. I did a cover of Marian and thought I would let you guys hear it. If you hate it I can understand, the Sisters are pretty sacred territory for alot of people. But, I hope you guys like it.

Marian

Dude, I don't mean to insult you, but making this song heavy is not working for me.

I dont' like the heavy synths put to this subject matter. Maybe heavy synths to something more war like.
Last edited by digipuppy on 23 Jan 2007, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.
digipuppy
Road Kill

digipuppy wrote:
cultureofgreed wrote:I am a long time lurker and first time poster. I did a cover of Marian and thought I would let you guys hear it. If you hate it I can understand, the Sisters are pretty sacred territory for alot of people. But, I hope you guys like it.

Marian
Synth too much. You need a stronger singer to do heavy synth music like a huge opera singer like Rammstein Male or Female.

It can't be a delicate voice though. Delicate voices are for lyrical content. The sound you are displaying needs a heavy metal edge/rocker/operetic huge sound. Someone that can kick ass on stage and get in people's faces.

I don't like this sound with that subject matter in the lyrics. With these lyrics I prefer something more ballad like.

With this sound you need someone that can handle that loud hard sound. Not a sweet angelic voice but rather a huge strong dramatic voice with a metal/opera edge. Someone not afraid to get up into someones face and kick there ass. A dominate sounding voice, not a pussy sweet voice.

This is the kind of vocals you need for the heavy synths.
Last edited by digipuppy on 23 Jan 2007, 02:13, edited 3 times in total.
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Enjoyed the listen. :von:

Gonna agree & disagree with two posts so far...

Agree : Synths. Bit too much. :urff:

Disagree : Guitars. Heavier the better for me! Carbon copy covers bore me, at least you try something different guitar wise. Almost got a Rammstein feel to it.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Road Kill

The vocals aren't bad, which is odd for a sister's cover :wink:
If this is heaven I'm bailin' out.
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

I'd recommend something like the PSP MixSaturator for fattening up the guitars. It simulates tape compression fairly well. If you're using Cubase, you can also use the on board Magneto VST plugin to that end, but the PSP sounds better to my ears (Magneto works best when ironing out cymbals (pun intended); a trick I learned at Spacelab last year). The PSP's 'Hot Tape 3' preset should give you a good result right out of the box...
more-sedatives-pls
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Ahráyeph wrote:I'd recommend .... fattening up the guitars.
No, really ?? :lol: :lol:

I'd never have guessed you'd recommend THAT :lol:
Immodium for the people
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

more-sedatives-pls wrote:
Ahráyeph wrote:I'd recommend .... fattening up the guitars.
No, really ?? :lol: :lol:

I'd never have guessed you'd recommend THAT :lol:
I know; it's quite out of character for me, what with my excessive love for strange synth noises 'n all... ;D
mh
Above the Chemist

Love the heavier sound, but the vocals don't do it for me at all.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Get the Leeds 2003 version of the song for a bit of inspiration I'd say.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Too much of everything....very annoying actually. :urff:

Welcome to HL anyway..... :wink:
"as we walk on the floodland"
digipuppy
Road Kill

mh wrote:Love the heavier sound, but the vocals don't do it for me at all.
Yes you need an opera singer like in Rammstein. A huge strong voice to stand up to the heavy sound you are trying to create.

Yet I'm not crazy about this song being too heavy.
Badass
Amphetamine Filth

I quite liked the song. Sounds a bit familiar - i'm not sure but i think the Sisters have played it sometimes back in the eighties... :lol:
Good job man.
This is not revenche, this is punishment
Dead_Rock
Road Kill

Well, indeed a gothed up version. Enjoyed it actually and only have to say: Don't try to imitate AE's voice, find your own and make it your song (or smoke a pack a day and develop a heavy drug habit ;))
Ghost
Road Kill

Heh, I actually enjoyed it, specially the more electronic parts on it. Reminds me of Razed in Black stuff.
As said above, try to backup a little on everything.
bushman*pm

Sir, a very good effort, sound reminds me of Rammstein/Front 242 but its not fair or my place to say
'Oh it sounds like this or that'
good on ya for having a go!
:D
LAND ROVER: THE BEAST FOUR BY FOUR BY FEAR! KICKS THE ARSE OFF RICEBURNERS!
Dark
Underneath the Rock

A lot going on.. the drum sound underneath the vocals needs lowering, and the vocals raising. The synths might need a little less high-end, or lowering a bit.

Aside from that, I do think it's a great cover. :)

And I do like the vocals. ;)