REM - Manchester

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Any of you cool and hip dudes off to see the mighty REM this Sunday? If you aren't, you ought to. In my op they form part of the Unholy Trinity of Gods Of Music, alongside the obvious and Metallica. Going to the Leeds Fest in August will therefore complete quite a year of gigs.

Don't forget, Stipey is, in Von's opinion, a 'very good' lyricist, and he doesn't say that too often.

See y'all there.

Dave
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
rian
Slight Overbomber

Nope. Not this time.

I saw them in Stockholm 1989 and 1995. The first was superb, the second was just OK.
I think someone set my soul alight
Nova
Road Kill

I wish I could see them! I had tickets for two concerts a few years back, but the gigs were cancellled because of the illnes of two members of REM.
For those who are going: Have fun!
Debaser
Overbomber

Would go if I could...the Tix for the Sunday sold out a fiar while back. Am still doing the 'Manchester' Saturday though

Debaser
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Who's playing on Saturday? Is it Brownie? He was ace at Glastonbury last year; he managed to p*ss the hippies off within five seconds of mooching on stage. Everyone I spoke to hated him, which made it funnier. Though of course, his singing remains Eldritchesque (ie not very good these days).

Other than REM, Idlewild and Badly Drawn Boy are on on Sunday. Or BadlyDrawnMush as the Sisters site so accurately calls them/him. Idlewild might be alright, though I ain't heard much stuff of theirs.

Anyway, REM always kick ass. I thought they were outstanding in 95 at Huddersfield, though I prefer the rough rock of Monster, their Stooges album, to their more sensitive stuff (Everybody Vomits, etc). And they were rather fine at Glast in 99 as well.

Dave
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Well well well people,

you missed a treat for sure. That's the fourth time I've seen REM, and every gig is like a personal epiphany. Rocking like motherf***ers (to steal anothers' words); crowd pleasing without fawning ('this is our Robbie Williams spot', before 'Religion'); playing a new song ( 'this is a strange time to be American') called 'Final Straw', which was top drawer, go figure, as were the two other new tunes; starting a gig with Begin The Begin, Kenneth?, So Fast So Numb, and Drive (crumbs, have you seen better, other than at Pukkelpop 2001 maybe?). What a band. Ridiculously good. And whilst remaining very heterosexual, boy would I give Stipey his 'comeuppance'.

Dave

PS BDM was s**t. No surprises there.
elguiri
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Just in case you REM fans have missed this site

http://www.remison.com/music/music.php?mode=8

and

http://www.remison.com/music/music.php?mode=6

Cheers dave :D
"Very Elderly Bastard Groovy"
Debaser
Overbomber

I was treated to a direct phone line from the ViP benches.

I got Orange Crush which was yummy and ...Religion. Mr Stipe was also accompanied by a rather drunken holder of phone.

Friends awwwww

Debaser
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else