SoundForge Geek Help Needed!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
streamline
Slight Overbomber

Hi All,

I am trying to adjust the speed of some of my MP3s and am having difficulty using SoundForge.

I can load the MP3, adjust the playback speed so it sounds fine to my ear...
but what next? I think I need to apply the new speed to the MP3 and save it, but I can't find out how to do it.

I know I should RTFM but my copy is of dubious origin and the help files are crap :innocent: .

Or can anyone suggest a quicker, easier way of doing it?

Thanks in advance :D

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

streamline wrote:Hi All,

I am trying to adjust the speed of some of my MP3s and am having difficulty using SoundForge.

I can load the MP3, adjust the playback speed so it sounds fine to my ear...
but what next? I think I need to apply the new speed to the MP3 and save it, but I can't find out how to do it.

I know I should RTFM but my copy is of dubious origin and the help files are crap :innocent: .

Or can anyone suggest a quicker, easier way of doing it?

Thanks in advance :D
Would love to help you out, but the last time I installed SoundForge is at about ten years ago, I think, so sorry :|

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
streamline
Slight Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote: Would love to help you out, but the last time I installed SoundForge is at about ten years ago, I think, so sorry :|
IZ.
Is there another program I can use?

Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

streamline wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote: Would love to help you out, but the last time I installed SoundForge is at about ten years ago, I think, so sorry :|
IZ.
Is there another program I can use?
Was thinking about CoolEditPro, never worked with it, but maybe it does the trick?

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
James Blast
Banned

what platform are you on Jez?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
streamline
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:what platform are you on Jez?
That'd be Windoze I'm afraid James

It's probably all done with one keystroke on a Mac.... :cry:

Pat
Slight Overbomber

If there's a pitch shift effect bundled with your Soundforge (there is with mine) use that.Then use the process button as normal.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Or get Audition.
Dan
Overbomber

You can use timestretch, but the results often sound s**t - you can hear that it's been processed and it usually sounds awful.

The way I do it is open a new edit window (file-new), but instead of the default sample rate (44,100), type a number lower or greater than that, then when you have your new window, copy and paste the audio into it (when it says 'are you sure you wish to continue', click yes).

Then after trial and error to get your audio the length you want it, by using different sample rates until you get the right one, click process-resample and resample it back to 44,100.

All that is assuming you already know the length you wish to stretch the audio to. I usually do, but if you don't then I'd imagine the trial and error stage would be even longer!
streamline
Slight Overbomber

Thanks for all of your replies - I have now ditched Soundforge and aquired Audition :innocent:

Ooh it looks complicated! I'm going to trawl the net for a user guide/tutorial and see how I get on.

All of this just to get the speed on some of my bootlegs correct :roll:

mh
Above the Chemist

For something like that maybe Soundforge or Audition are overkill? Maybe try Audacity or a demo of Goldwave instead? For Goldwave it's just Effect | Time Warp, then Save. Couldn't be easier.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Audition comes with it's own manual (click on Help... lol) :P
streamline
Slight Overbomber

robertzombie wrote:Audition comes with it's own manual (click on Help... lol) :P
Yeah I did find that one :lol: , I was going to look for dumbed-down tutorial walk throughs until mh suggested Goldwave which is doing the job quite nicely.

So I have dumped both Soundforge and Audition and I feel a whole lot better for it!

Thanks again to you all.

Ghost
Road Kill

In audition (it's were cool edit pro gone to!) you can select the wave portion, and then effects>time/pitch>stretch (process) and then if you want to alter it's lenght but not overall sound use "time stretch, preserves pitch", and mess with the base 100 ratio (200 will be half the time).
therealsamdevos
Road Kill

F1 always helps... :-)
greets

samdevos