How low will you go if The Sisters play @ festival?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Who cares who's on beforehand? There's always the bar, or another stage, to pass the time of day.

My worst Sisters festival experience was having to endure depeche mode AFTER the girls had played at Crystal Palace in 93. What a crock of sh1te, I'd have long since buggered off but our kid insisted otherwise. By a large margin the worst headline act I've ever seen at an open air gig, and yep, that includes Blur, The Verve (in their deaththrows in 98 ), and Korn. Yep, that bad! :urff:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Pat
Slight Overbomber

I could watch or listen to near enough anything but I draw the line at Atomic Kitten,you couldn't pay me to sit through that racket....unless Rachel Stevens was on the same bill, now that's a different story. :wink:
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

I hope The Girls aren't headlining 'cause I'm usually spangled by then :urff:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
_emma_
Overbomber

Surely it's easier to endure anything when one is the kind of person who likes going from one beer tent to another, and then is happy to watch the Sisters from afar. But if one prefers the front row, and knows that before getting there it's necessary to endure much more than one crappy band, surely nothing's worse than M'era Luna. But it's worth it. All the pain's gone as soon as the last singer says his/her/its good nights and I love yous, and the first cloud of smoke appears with a hiss. 8) In fact, it only makes the whole experience more intense. Oh how I miss summer now, rainy or sultry doesn't matter.
czuczu
Overbomber

Nothin's worse than a festival where they play very early and are then followed by Van Morrison.. At least Mera Luna has the consolation of the Brazillian bars and lethal alcohol :)
aims
Overbomber

sentenza wrote:In Mera luna 2000 me and tuco, my partner in crime, have seen sisters, the mish and fields of the nephilim...not bad except the "bad joke" of Wayne strating paying "Marian".Hum... :eek:
There's a crystal view, from my window...

:innocent:
jenzi-benzi
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

How low do I go??
Battle of Metal!! ;D :innocent:
hellboy69

@ Jens :lol: :notworthy:

i meself made it through Flowered Up at Reading Festival in '91 to see The Sissies... nothing a bit of drink & droogs couldn't remedy & Von and the girls were absolutely astonishing. i remember a few of my crusty mates ambling over afterwards & telling me how "amazing" they thought The Sisters were that night :D
Syberberg

SINsister wrote:Hmmmm...

How about: a vomitous mix of (c)rap (yo!yo!yo!) and hip-hop (including the likes of that "Fergie" person) and, to make matters impossibly worse, a hellish lineup of bands like Blink 182, Fall Out Boy, and My Chemical Romance.

Sissies are due to play precisely...somewhere near the end, but there's been a f*ck up with the lineup because some emo band guy had a temper tantrum which led to a brawl, so now no-one knows when the hell TSoM'll take the stage.

It's nearly 100 degrees F in this open-air fest, with humidity to match...and there's no shade. There's bottled water for sale, but it's $5 a pop...and no, you're not allowed to bring your own beverages into the area. The only booze available is warm Bud and/or Miller Light; which one you get makes no difference because they're both carbonated p1ss, of course.

The merch tent's got a grand total of 1 style of Sissies tee on hand, (because they're, ya know, not "popular", or anything), and all sizes are gone save "girly" extra-small. Oh, and there're no stickers, patches, or badges for sale, so don't even ask.

There *are* porta-potties for your "convenience" (which you'll desperately need after you've downed 5 p1ss beers in a row in a vain attempt to stave off heat exhaustion), but they're already overflowing, and, in the sweltering heat, the area around them for 500 yards reeks like a cow barn.

(Don't forget - when you finally work up the nerve to brave the stench, there will be 500 people ahead of you in line who all had the same idea at exactly the same moment. By the time you finally snag an empty toilet (in sheer agony after having stood in line for an hour) and step inside the filthy thing, you'll notice that someone has thoughtfully sh@t on the seat, and there's no toilet paper. Panic sets in as you, pouring sweat now in both pain and fear, frantically search for a scrap of tissue in your pocket or purse, whilst simultaneously trying not to vomit from the overwhelming stink...

...and from far, far away, clear on the other side of the venue, a familiar guitar riff fires up.)

;D :von:
That sounds vaguely familiar...except for the hippie who emerges from the Bog of Eternal Stench (leaving his own vapourtrail in his wake due to all the musshies and acid he's just consumed) holding up 2 turds and saying "Look maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I've just found Gandalf and Bilbo!" Not to mention the fact that he's only gone and pebble-dashed the interior thanks to the Transendental Lentil and Mushroom Porridge he had for breakfast.

Having frequented a club in Middlesborough called Blazes (anyone else here been there?) when on a good night the stainless (yeah, right) steel urinal would steam and on a really good night it would be a very, very Bad Idea to stride manfully into the gents for fear of losing one's footing on the slippery tiles (thanks to the steam) and not having a choice between the shallow end or the deep end. It almost prepares you for what a festival bog can throw at you. Almost.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
wild bill buttock

Syberberg wrote: .... it would be a very, very Bad Idea to stride manfully into the gents for fear of losing one's footing on the slippery tiles......
Remember when a lot of NMA fans used to wear those stupid clogs?I've seen many a raggle-taggler with a back covered in second hand beer after striding manfully into the crapper at the old Hummingbird in Brum,Clip clop clip clop....scrape..."Aghhh fukc!!!!"
and not having a choice between the shallow end or the deep end.
There was a notorious urinal at a pub I used to frequent that would block up and overflow every Saturday without fail.People used to throw pennies into it to give it an abstract wishing well effect.
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

wild bill buttock wrote: There was a notorious urinal at a pub I used to frequent that would block up and overflow every Saturday without fail.People used to throw pennies into it to give it an abstract wishing well effect.
:lol: :lol: :notworthy:

And no doubt by the end of the night some pissy-handed ne'er-do-well would have swiped the lot.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Syberberg

wild bill buttock wrote: Remember when a lot of NMA fans used to wear those stupid clogs?I've seen many a raggle-taggler with a back covered in second hand beer after striding manfully into the crapper at the old Hummingbird in Brum,Clip clop clip clop....scrape..."Aghhh fukc!!!!"
:lol: :lol: :lol: Instant karma, gotta love it.
wild bill buttock wrote: There was a notorious urinal at a pub I used to frequent that would block up and overflow every Saturday without fail.People used to throw pennies into it to give it an abstract wishing well effect.
Planet Dave wrote:And no doubt by the end of the night some pissy-handed ne'er-do-well would have swiped the lot.
It's always nice when the regulars leave a tip for the new members of staff.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

wild bill buttock wrote:Remember when a lot of NMA fans used to wear those stupid clogs?
I've still got my old pair of clogs. I didn't wear them very often, honest officer.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
splintered thing

The descriptions above made me cry laughing :lol: it's funny coz it's true.
The big festval here The Big Day Out it totally poo and I have sat through similar conditions to see much lesser acts.

Having said that...
IF the Sissies made it down here for said festering bog-hole of a festival I would endure the likes of 40 degree days, non-stop kiddy-pop and ghastly baggy-pant rubbish if they were at the end of the tunnel.

I have no shame, 'tis too late for that.
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
Scottish One
Road Kill

lionel richie
barbara streisand
wayne newton
debbie gibson
with co-headliners
new kids on the block
and
rick astley

just to see the sisters yes

but would endure much more
for a new album
aims
Overbomber

Scottish One wrote:lionel richie
barbara streisand
wayne newton
debbie gibson
with co-headliners
new kids on the block
and
rick astley

just to see the sisters yes

but would endure much more
for a new album
Good job, really. There've been sightings at quite a few Sisters and related gigs :innocent:
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

i´ve been in one festival only(lokeren 2005) and VIVA LA FETE wasn´t bad,i enjoyed them!!!

in my opnion i don´t mind to hear crap bands, if in that festival the sisters play. as i will.. in the battle of metal!!!
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
Ghost
Road Kill

No gigs confirmed in Portugal yet, but once to see New Order and get a good place in the front rows I had to digest a whole Black Eyed Peas concert. What a nightmare...
Dr. Moody

dtsom wrote:i´ve been in one festival only(lokeren 2005) and VIVA LA FETE wasn´t bad,i enjoyed them!!!

in my opnion i don´t mind to hear crap bands, if in that festival the sisters play. as i will.. in the battle of metal!!!
actually really enjoyed Vive La Fete at Lokeren, I was completely smashed so probably cant be trusted tho :lol: met Adam and Chris wandering around the crowd too.

Neds Atomic Dustbin at reading 1990 was some kind of punishment too.

Worst ever endurance test was "Dr Millar And The Cute Hoors" support band at Drogheda 1990, they had the ability to stretch time and played their redneck cajun trad for about six million years . Obviously it was totally worth it. ;D
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

markfiend wrote:
wild bill buttock wrote:Remember when a lot of NMA fans used to wear those stupid clogs?
I've still got my old pair of clogs. I didn't wear them very often, honest officer.
a highly comfortable and exceedingly hard-wearing item of footwear; not to mention bloody loud...i had two pairs. 8)

as for sitting through sh!te bands at a fezzie, if i can sit and tolerate the cheeky girls, girls aloud (tough one that :innocent: ) and peter andre ferchrissakes for the sake of my kids birthday treat then i can put up with anything....and i didn't even get to see the sisters at the end of it (because they weren't on.)
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
streamline
Slight Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: as for sitting through sh!te bands at a fezzie, if i can sit and tolerate the cheeky girls, girls aloud (tough one that :innocent: ) and peter andre ferchrissakes for the sake of my kids birthday treat then i can put up with anything....and i didn't even get to see the sisters at the end of it (because they weren't on.)
That lineup is way too goff for the Sisters!!

But, fair play for sitting through all of that. It puts my Hi-5! experience in the shade! (And Cliff Richard with me old mum, but we won't go there - some scars never heal... :oops: :lol: )

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you