Who pays for music?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
scotty
Overbomber

I still miss buying "LP's" :( , there was something much more satisfying in having that big square bit of card than getting a CD, I don't really download anything apart from bootlegs on Dimeadozen.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

christophe wrote:I never pay for a mp3, its just my own opinion but I like to hold something in my hands when I have bought it (I must be old fashion or something :P )
Me neither. It's not just wanting to hold something in my hands, but I don't exactly like the idea a hard drive crash could mean you'd have to buy all your music again. :eek: I'd never burn downloaded music onto a music cd though, if I want to properly own the music, I just go out to buy it

So I do spend a fair deal of the little money I have on music, I love buying vinyl and on occasions I buy CDs too. :notworthy:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Carpathian Psychonaut
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

scotty wrote:I still miss buying "LP's" :( , there was something much more satisfying in having that big square bit of card than getting a CD
A very good point - a top gatefold sleeve was a work of art in it's own right !
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Carpathian Psychonaut wrote:
scotty wrote:I still miss buying "LP's" :( , there was something much more satisfying in having that big square bit of card than getting a CD
A very good point - a top gatefold sleeve was a work of art in it's own right !
And of course..they smell wonderful.There's nothing like ripping off the shrink wrap and breathing in that aroma.
Badlander
Overbomber

Pat wrote: And of course..they smell wonderful.There's nothing like ripping off the shrink wrap and breathing in that aroma.
Much like books (the good kind).
That's partly why e-books never took off. What a silly idea. :roll: Image
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Badlander wrote:
Pat wrote: And of course..they smell wonderful.There's nothing like ripping off the shrink wrap and breathing in that aroma.
True - books smell great. Although other reasons that ebooks never took off were because
(1) it's awkward to read on a computer screen,
(2) Publishers encumbered them with DRM, and
(3) Publishers tried to sell them for the same price as a paper book.

Some of the new ebook-reading gadgets look like they could turn the tide - the ability to store 1000s of books on a reader the size of a single book, and SEARCH your whole 'library' with some Google-esque search facility, and "electronic paper" that reflects light like normal paper (instead of burning your eyes out like a backlit computer screen). The Sony Reader looks like an early model achieveing some of these. Another 2-3 years, I think.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

I just purchased this:

It's all Carpy's fault. :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

@ laz: I saw an old guy on the train a couple of weeks ago with something that looked like that; I'd wondered what it was. Interesting...
boudicca
Sister Midnight

*deep breath*

Bless me father for I have sinned. It is 11 and a half years since my last confession... :oops:

I used to pay for all of my music. Usually the records I wanted were way too obscure to be found in Glasgow's branches of Virgin Megastore etc., so I ordered a good proportion of them on t'internet from CDNow (which I believe has now been taken over by Amazon). In my teens I spent many a happy hour browsing round the 30-second song clips on that site, discerning from those whether I liked the sound of the album enough to buy it. Occasionally disappointed once I heard the songs in their entirety but usually it proved quite a good try-before-you-buy strategy. And the thrill of getting that parcel dropping through my letterbox a few weeks later with the goodies was unparalleled 8)

Then, in the summer of 2005, I got Soulseek, and all changed. I don't think I have actually purchased a single CD since. I have been given some from friends but not shelled out a penny for them. And to be perfectly honest, I don't intend on ever buying CDs again, apart from by the handful of my favourite bands. And even with them, only if and when I can afford it.

I do subsribe to the Einstuerzende Neubauten supporters website, but that is a special case as it means I can have input into their creative process with this project, and they have "exclusive" output to me and the other supporters, plus it bypasses the record company. All of which I find very exciting. Yes, and Blixa :twisted: :roll:

Is mine an ideal situation - no. Would some people probably be angry at me - yes. But fcuk them. The fact is I have a very limited amount of money, and while music would be above food in my list of priorities for spending it on if I had to do it, if I am given the option of getting it for free I will take it in a flash and free up a good few thousand pounds, sorely needed. I love holding a new purchase in my hands and looking through the sleevnotes as much as anyone - music and visuals are inextricably tied up for me - but when it comes down to it that stuff is an extra luxury. If I had an unlimited amount of money I'd maybe buy most of my stuff, but who has that? The essential stuff is what I'm going to hear when I put it on, and what that does to me.

I'm not enitrely sure what I think of the "moral" arguments surrounding all this. On the one hand I think the impossibility for a lot of alternative/underground/just-not-that-popular artists of making a living without the "day job" could put them off. On the other, I don't think music making should be an exercise in commerce, once it becomes about maximising profit we're absolutely fcuked :urff:

I fear the ease with which music can be obtained now does devalue it to an extent - the thrill of "taking my new CD home" every other friday night is now a quaint teenage memory. It's not the same when you don't have to go on a lengthy quest to find what you're looking for. But, on the other hand, the accessibility of all kinds of music now on things like Soulseek makes it so easy to discover new stuff you might never have wanted to risk your money on before. So it's swings and roundabouts mate, swings and roundabouts... :P
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Yeah, but Claire: "Let he (or she) who is without sin..." etc. Don't worry your pretty head over it. ;D :twisted: :kiss:
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Tim O'Reilly wrote an interesting article called Piracy is Progressive Taxation, and Other Thoughts on the Evolution of Online Distribution which describes some new (if not unique) ideas about digital piracy:
  • Obscurity is a far greater threat to authors and creative artists than piracy.
  • Piracy is progressive taxation
  • Customers want to do the right thing, if they can.
  • Shoplifting is a bigger threat than piracy.
  • File sharing networks don't threaten book, music, or film publishing. They threaten existing publishers.
  • "Free" is eventually replaced by a higher-quality paid service
  • There's more than one way to do it.
Tim O'Reilly is the founder & CEO of the O'Reilly publishing company (they publish programming books, of which I own several) and they seem to have managed to sell ebooks (i.e. digital content) far more successfully than other traditional publishing companies. So he knows what he's talking about!
eotunun
Overbomber

@ Pat: Mate, those are records, not girls! :lol:
But yes, they did have their charm (both). I still buy them, too (the records). My father´s old stereo is about to be used again so I can hear all the good old records again decently.
There is shadow under this red rock
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Erm, in related news... Am I the only one getting this frontpage on Dimeadozen...?

(Remember the date :wink: )
анархия
Badlander
Overbomber

smiscandlon wrote:Erm, in related news... Am I the only one getting this frontpage on Dimeadozen...?

No you're not and it's awesome ! ;D

Well, except for those out there who always feel like challenging authority. :innocent:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
christophe
Overbomber

Hey.
I bought a record last night, just on good instinct. And you know what, he was worth it :D
Another Shade of You.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

lazarus corporation wrote:
Badlander wrote:
True - books smell great. Although other reasons that ebooks never took off were because
(1) it's awkward to read on a computer screen,
(2) Publishers encumbered them with DRM, and
(3) Publishers tried to sell them for the same price as a paper book.

Some of the new ebook-reading gadgets look like they could turn the tide - the ability to store 1000s of books on a reader the size of a single book, and SEARCH your whole 'library' with some Google-esque search facility, and "electronic paper" that reflects light like normal paper (instead of burning your eyes out like a backlit computer screen). The Sony Reader looks like an early model achieveing some of these. Another 2-3 years, I think.
Some people are not in it for the money alone, but they are rare ;)

But I do SO agree, I really love a whole library with real papery beauties instead of a PDA full of bits and bytes...

The same with CDs and Vinyl. People who come and visit me for any reason whatsoever, always have a moment where I am busy doing something (editing their crap music for example :twisted:) and then they start to look around and see all those book cases and CD storages and they start sniffing around in my collection, going "oh, man, you HAVE this? I've been looking for that CD for AGES!". Or: "f**k man, who is this Pratchett dude, you seem to have a fetish for the guy, can I borrow one?"

I can't see that happening when I have a PDA and an iPod lying on my desk... :roll:

Also, I would miss the lovely artwork, as some here pointed out already. With the rise of CD, the artwork started to get smaller again. Then they invented the lovely Digipack to make up for their errors. Now you have to be content with a small image of the album on your cellphone *shudder*

IZ.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Grison
Road Kill

I wouldn´t pay for an MP3 download or any other lossy format. Sometimes I download albums to check out. I f I like it I´ll buy it.
I´ve downloaded some albums I already have on CD, because DRM protection won´t let me copy them, I don´t want to keep expensive CD´s in my car so I bring a copy.

Bootlegs is a different thing, I download a lot. Nobody´s losing any money from them.
I'll see you sometime later
When I'm through with my accumulator.
Doktor Gott
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Bit of both really.. Given that I have owned a hell of a lot of music in the past that I have either lost, damaged or had stolen, I have little in the way of a guilty conscience in downloading stuff I have previously owned without buying a new copy of it (prompting the argument - is it the music or the medium we actually buy??)

Also, since I'm into techno quite a bit, I download sets left, right and centre, which I am sure there is no copyright on.. :innocent:

However, I will buy new music and quite often download a torrent of it to save me the time of burning it - yes, I am THAT lazy! :D
I give you the finger but you want the whole hand...
------------------------------------------------------

http://www.pbase.com/gottdammerung/galleries
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

despite having a house full of records, jnr. PiB had her first experience with vinyl last night. 'daddy, mummy look it's as big as me..oh, wow!! there's a little hole in the middle of it you can see right through'. :lol: :lol:
Goths have feelings too
Doktor Gott
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I give you the finger but you want the whole hand...
------------------------------------------------------

http://www.pbase.com/gottdammerung/galleries
aims
Overbomber

If I can find a record, I'll try to buy it, but given my somewhat esoteric taste in music (as applies to most of us here, I guess), I'm most likely to initially hear a track illegally.

As for deleted records, particularly B-sides, they're fair game for sharing imho.
Dr. Moody
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Motz wrote:If I can find a record, I'll try to buy it, but given my somewhat esoteric taste in music (as applies to most of us here, I guess), I'm most likely to initially hear a track illegally.

As for deleted records, particularly B-sides, they're fair game for sharing imho.
Out of print / deleted recordings are definitely fair game as is limited edition tour only, small edition cdrs or anything that goes for silly money on ebay. I guess one of the benefits of this kinda thing is the music gets a wider audience through file sharing and if you really like it hunting down the artifact can be rewarding too.

If I ever win the lottery I promise to employ a personal record buying gimp who can spend his days on ebay and looking through small distro catalogues on a neverending vinyl hunt. ;D
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

I still miss buying "LP's" , there was something much more satisfying in having that big square bit of card than getting a CD, I don't really download anything apart from bootlegs on Dimeadozen.
I miss buying LPs as well.

Its been aaaaaages since I last had a new bit of 12" card in my hands.

To someone my age "3 days" is a higher proportion of life.

I have discovered something AWESOME.

Vinyl to MP3 ripping

I can now spend between £2-£5 on an album where it might have cost up to £12 on a brand new CD and I can still have a CD version of it for carriyng around :D
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Grison
Road Kill

Maisey wrote:
I still miss buying "LP's" , there was something much more satisfying in having that big square bit of card than getting a CD, I don't really download anything apart from bootlegs on Dimeadozen.

Vinyl to MP3 ripping

I can now spend between £2-£5 on an album where it might have cost up to £12 on a brand new CD and I can still have a CD version of it for carriyng around :D
I´ve been thinking about that too, I havet to make room for a Vinyl player near the computers, not an easy task...
I'll see you sometime later
When I'm through with my accumulator.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Grison wrote:
Maisey wrote:

Vinyl to MP3 ripping

I´ve been thinking about that too, I havet to make room for a Vinyl player near the computers, not an easy task...
unless you have a laptop and one of these ;)

http://www.numark.com/products/product_ ... view&n=144
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?