Who sings on Rain From Heaven

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Tidal
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I'd reckon it's Eldritch...but wasn't it so he wasn't allowed to sing on Gift because he was still bound to his record company? OR do I have the wrong version (a later) of Rain From Heaven?
It's good to be back
James Blast
Banned

try reading previous posts, I'm sure you have the time on your hands
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
robertzombie
Overbomber

The Sisterhood was a short-lived English musical project, consisting of Andrew Eldritch (writer and producer), drum machine Doktor Avalanche and the "Chorus of Vengeance" of Lucas Fox (drums), Patricia Morrison (bass and vocals), James Ray (guitar and vocals) and Alan Vega (synthesizer and vocals). Eldritch does not sing lead vocals on the record.
Something I was wondering... It says "Lucas Fox (drums)". Did he play drums as well as the Dok? :?
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Eric had a large part to play............
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Tidal

I gave the thing another listen (finally got Gift complete :D )... now I think it must be someone else, on very close listening it seems it's NOT Eldritch. Maybe it's James Ray.
It's good to be back
doctoravalanche
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

A few days ago i also read an interview of Alan Vega, and he said that for Gift he only recorded some vocals, and the vocals were recorded backstage after one of his concerts ...
Badlander
Overbomber

I also remember reading that Lucas Fox's contribution was minimal, maybe as small as just being there in the studio.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Dark
Underneath the Rock

"Another yes-man" according to Eric.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Bollocks.

Lucas Fox did most of the vocals for Gift.
Dark wrote:"Another yes-man" according to Eric.
How ironic. People should stop worshipping the ground "James Ray" walks on IMO.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
canon docre
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Bollocks.

Lucas Fox did most of the vocals for Gift.
Now that is a truly groundbreaking new concept for HL. :lol:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yeah, well.

I know the guy posts here from time to time, but to be honest, I've never understood why he gets so much respect from Sisters fans when the only thing of real note he ever did was to dick about on Top Of The Pops behind Andy and Patsy.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

I don't know James Ray from Adam (no, not Adam) but I know he's in 25 Men and I happen to like that. Maybe he didn't do anything worthwile Sisters wise, but at least he's doing something substantial nowadays. As opposed to our Fearless - and sometimes Hairless - Leader, who just tours with old 'new' songs. A SoM gig every year is becoming a tradition, it seems. An album, well...
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

markfiend wrote:Yeah, well.

I know the guy posts here from time to time, but to be honest, I've never understood why he gets so much respect from Sisters fans when the only thing of real note he ever did was to dick about on Top Of The Pops behind Andy and Patsy.
and before that the guy sang on giving ground- the only track he did sing on as far as i can tell, from his own cryptic tit-bits- so he was briefly (though not officiall) a member of the band.

and he gave away his entire back catalogue for free download...which at least was his to give away... :innocent:

and he does come on here in his own name....amongst others. :innocent:

as to anything else: gangwar were cool; 4080 peru was conceptual bobbins -in itself no different from any art but misdirected as rock music, a criticism which a professional musician/artist should have taken in better spirit-; and i don't give a fuck if he's a smackhead or not: that drug is it's own courtroom judge and jury (if you excuse the long sentence..).

let's just say all is not as it may first appear with sister ray. :wink:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 4080 peru was conceptual bobbins -in itself no different from any art but misdirected as rock music, a criticism which a professional musician/artist should have taken in better spirit-;
Damn right, he didn't take too kindly to being told it was w@nk either! :lol:

Seemed like a nice enough bloke, much the same as :von: did at Josephs Well.

Worship the ground they walk on? What, musicians? Entertainers? That's a bit excessive isn't it? Even for Bon Scott.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Tidal

I thought the original question was who sings on Rain from heaven... please can someone answer it, I have not found an answer anywhere else.
It's good to be back
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

OK, I think it was Lucas Fox.
—Bertrand Russell
Dark
Underneath the Rock

markfiend wrote:
I was just quoting. I wasn't in the studio, I don't know any more than anyone else.

That's like asking why anyone shows any respect to Robochrist or Bricheno or Varjak.. they just play what they're told, and hope to get some of their own material in every so often.

I don't care about what he did for the Sisters a great deal. I enjoy his own music, and there's plenty of it to enjoy.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Dark wrote:
markfiend wrote:
I was just quoting. I wasn't in the studio, I don't know any more than anyone else.

That's like asking why anyone shows any respect to Robochrist or Bricheno or Varjak.. they just play what they're told, and hope to get some of their own material in every so often.

I don't care about what he did for the Sisters a great deal. I enjoy his own music, and there's plenty of it to enjoy.
in this case, respect doesnt neccessarily have anything to do with an individual's creative input into any given band. its about how that person conducts themself, both privately and professionally.

:?

i dunno about tim or mike as i've never met them, but herr robo is a genuinely nice geezer, and more than happy to converse with anyone and everyone that gibbers on at him - and he shows no sign of getting sick of it yet... :lol:

i'm not denying the likelyhood that everyone has their own agenda, but its how certain individuals choose to exploit people's good natures in fulfulling their agenda that seems to be the main issue people are referring to ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

All I'm trying to say is that in all likelihood no Sisters fan would give a flying f*ck about James Ray if it wasn't for his connection with the band. And OK, I guess the same could be said about Chris, Adam, Mike, and any number of people who have been involved over the years.

It seemed to me like there was a time when this place was starting to look like a James Ray fan-site, rather than a Sisters fan-site.

Meh, I'm not such a big fan of the guy's music, that's all. I guess I could have worded things better.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

Definitely Lucas Fox. He certainly sang Colours, and it's the same voice on Rain From Heaven, so that seems reasonably certain.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
_emma_
Overbomber

And the only thing that's really true about it all is that Gift would sound a lot better if Andrew Eldritch had sang on it.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Quiff Boy wrote:....herr robo is a genuinely nice geezer, and more than happy to converse with anyone and everyone that gibbers on at him ....
:notworthy: he most certainly is -and clever enough to suss straight away that he was being gibbered at by HLers when we met him in norwich;and demonstrated a knowledge of the forum's current content and opinion regarding the SBTSB tour -not bad seeing as he was actually doing the tour (yes, i know andrew s and eva did to.)
markfiend wrote:All I'm trying to say is that in all likelihood no Sisters fan would give a flying f*ck about James Ray if it wasn't for his connection with the band.......... I guess I could have worded things better.
:notworthy: no,mark: :notworthy: you were spot on. :notworthy: :wink:

as for Gift sounding better with eldritch singing......i reckon that the sisters version of "colours" is inferior vocally to the Gift version. giving ground on record (original 7" vinyl version, natch) is awesome,though difficult to compare to the von live version; but it would be nice to hear an at-the-time studio von vocal
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
robertzombie
Overbomber

I'm sure one exists...
tooyoung
Road Kill

markfiend wrote:All I'm trying to say is that in all likelihood no Sisters fan would give a flying f*ck about James Ray if it wasn't for his connection with the band. And OK, I guess the same could be said about Chris, Adam, Mike, and any number of people who have been involved over the years.
Yeah, you could say the same about Andrew, Craig, Wayne, Gary, and drum machines in general...

:roll:
Mary Bell, we knew you well...
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

tooyoung wrote:
markfiend wrote:All I'm trying to say is that in all likelihood no Sisters fan would give a flying f*ck about James Ray if it wasn't for his connection with the band. And OK, I guess the same could be said about Chris, Adam, Mike, and any number of people who have been involved over the years.
Yeah, you could say the same about Andrew, Craig, Wayne, Gary, and drum machines in general...

:roll:
err, not quite the same thing

Fetch my rolling eyes! :lol:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."