Montreaux Pop Fest 1988

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
robertzombie
Overbomber

I was watching my copy of Lucretia from the Montreaux Pop Fest and I could swear Andrew is singing parts of song.

Obviously most of it is mimed but there are bits where it sounds like Andrews voice is doubled so presumably he was singing bits of it.
It's definitely a slightly different mix (vocals wise) because the "me" part of "dance the ghost with me" is sharper and slightly shorter than what's on the album. Also at the end of the song Andy makes some hiss noise so that means the mic was definitely on.

Your thoughts?
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Never noticed but I will give it a listen...
"as we walk on the floodland"
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ozpat wrote:Never noticed but I will give it a listen...
^ That.

All the Floodland-era videos and TV appearances, I just get distracted by La Morrison anyway. :innocent:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Badlander
Overbomber

markfiend wrote: All the Floodland-era videos and TV appearances, I just get distracted by La Morrison anyway. :innocent:
That was the point, wasn't it ? ;D

And maybe that's also why he fired her. :innocent:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
robertzombie
Overbomber

I'll upload it to Youtube in a bit so people that haven't joined it can give their opinions too :)
robertzombie
Overbomber

christophe
Overbomber

Thanks for the upload, I don’t think I had seen that one before (not recently anyway)
But I really couldn’t tell if it was live or not, I can’t hear the double voice. He defiantly is singing something :P
Another Shade of You.
Badlander
Overbomber

I do think he's singing something.

Patsy, on the other hand, isn't trying very hard. :roll: :lol:
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Been a while since I watched this one, but when I first watched it, my reaction was that it was a live performance vocally. The "double voice" you're hearing is from a slight chorus and some reverb added from the mixing desk. The "breathy" quality to Andrew's vocals are the give-away.

Everyone else is miming, watch what everyone's doing as they stop playing, but the backing track keeps going. Pat's the main one to watch. She stops, but the bassline keeps going and the sound tech has to speed up the fade-out. Unless, of course, one of sequencers is following/re-inforcing the bassline.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
robertzombie
Overbomber

You can definitely hear Andrew singing on the chorus, sounds like his microphone was on and he just sang and breathed over certain bits. :?
sisterstekland
Slight Overbomber

Bartoszek wrote:thnx :notworthy:

where's drummer ? :lol:
still in the box, you should know that :wink:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I think he's miming, but it does seem to be a different vocal take to the single.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dan
Overbomber

I always thought it was mimed but the mic was on with just a little bit of live vocals here and there.
You can hear Eldo make a noise between lines, at 0.52 (it'd be easier to spot if the audio was in sync with the picture!), that for me proves the mic is at least turned on.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Dan wrote:You can hear Eldo make a noise between lines, at 0.52
Now *that's* trainspotting.

:lol: :notworthy:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Syberberg

When a band or artist is miming, the mic is turned off, or if a radio mic, the arial isn't attatched to the XLR socket. Similarly, even if the instruments have cables attatched, they aren't connected to a mixing desk (usually because there isn't one present, and even if there is, it's attatched to a CD player or DAT machine) and nor is the drum kit mic'ed up.

So, if everybody is miming, why is Andrew's mic connected to the, obviously present, mixing desk?

Anyway...I just dug out my DVD boot with this performance of Lucretia on it and the one from TOTP. There's a massive difference in the vocals. On the Montreux performance, there is no echo on "Well I don't feel" as well as a couple of other places, so unless they recorded a special vocal just for Montreux to mime to, it's a live vocal performance.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
lachert
Overbomber

anyone with this corrosion and backstage footage from this one? :eek:
i wanna see it ;D
long live rock'n'roll
Stoat Grinder
Road Kill

And isnt that a certain Mr Ray doing guitar type things.......
Unspoilt By Progress
Badlander
Overbomber

Stoat Grinder wrote:And isnt that a certain Mr Ray doing guitar type things.......
IIRC it's been recently confirmed it was James Ray.
DTS
Road Kill

I have just watched it , and to my mind it seems like a sort of "audio mix" between the studio version and andrew sings along but at a LOW level , therefore you you obtain this blend. That would also explain why you hear his real voice only on the "loudest" parts of the song...
D/T=S(peed)
Carpathian Psychonaut

I haven't watched it for a while but the version I have on DVD is crystal clear IIRC and I do remember:-

a) it being one of the few "tv" clips on the compilation where I thought I could hear him "live"

and

b) Yeah, I'm pretty sure she's not playing and just doing that 'swaying about' thing she had a knack for on appearances.......but I'm shallow enough to really not care whilst watching :innocent:
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
Dark
Underneath the Rock

There'd be no need for her to play if her bass isn't plugged in. Nor is there the need for Mr Ray to be rock-starring it up on parts where there is clearly only drums and bass. But hey. The joys of miming. ;D
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Lame. If you're going to make the effort to mine, then sing, g*ddammit. Pffffft. :evil: :roll:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

I own a grand total of *zero* Girls videos. The ex owns "Shot," er summat to that effect.
mh
Above the Chemist

It's definitely a different vocal take at the very least, there's slightly different enunciations all over the place. If it's mimed I go for an alternate take from the sessions as the most likely source.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.