VISION THING - STUDIO VS LIVE

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
DTS
Road Kill

I was listening to my Vision Thing CD this morning , and I think all the songs sound so much better in LIVE.
Although FLOODLAND AND FALAA 's songs sound VERY good live ( alice and dominion for example ) , I think the gap is bigger between Vision Thing 's ones.
VT studio sounds much slower and intense that it does live.
Ribbons live for instance is tremendously oppressing!

Did anybody get this feeling or am I becoming crazy?
DTS
Road Kill

I know that's a boring topic but I have nothing else coming to my mind right now....
D/T=S(peed)
ormfdmrush
Slight Overbomber

yeah, Vision Songs live are less boring
DTS
Road Kill

thx I feel less lonely now

I wish I could visit Russia , and especially Moscow, how is it over there man?
Wonderful architecture! (and vodka, and girls) lol
D/T=S(peed)
ormfdmrush
Slight Overbomber

Evil Empire, you know...
in something better, in something worse than USSR
on wonders: architecture - yes, vodka - no, girls - sometimes

yeah, and Vision Thing truly rocked the night then
a perfect final for the concert
DTS
Road Kill

Я плохо говорю по-русски, unfortunately, but that's a nice language.

My god yes, The Moscow Thing was Amazing , the best 2006 gig , definitely!
D/T=S(peed)
nitestorm
Road Kill

I do like the Vision stuff live too, even more so the last two tours, its like the doktor has been let out to play, sounds are amazing... even Bens solo an something fast is good, a little bit better than Adams, but he was getting a bit fed-up, methinks
Not as good as Motorhead, but better than The Birthday Party, which makes us pretty damn good.
splintered thing
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Vision Thing always felt like an album that was trying to be live to me. I especially agree on Ribbons, live versions are enormously powerful.

IMHO I do not think this is the case for Floodland, and prefer the studio versions.
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
James Blast
Banned

they never play YCBTO :cry:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Doctor Jeep rather bucks the trend, wouldn't you say?

Live = sludge

LP = Turbocharged stonkathon 8)

Remix = Heaven :notworthy:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
christophe
Overbomber

now I can anly agrea with that :notworthy:

I quite like most songs on the Vision Thing album but somehow the overal feel of the album is not compleet. does that make any sence?
Another Shade of You.
robertzombie
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:they never play YCBTO :cry:
There's still time man! :D
smiscandlon
Overbomber

christophe wrote:I quite like most songs on the Vision Thing album but somehow the overal feel of the album is not compleet. does that make any sence?
It's funny, when the album first came out I remember one of my mates saying completely the opposite - that overall it was their best album, but didn't have their best songs on it... I think he meant VT was more consistent, whereas FALAA and Floodland contained an uneven mix of classics and 'fillers'.
анархия
christophe
Overbomber

smiscandlon wrote:
christophe wrote:I quite like most songs on the Vision Thing album but somehow the overal feel of the album is not compleet. does that make any sence?
It's funny, when the album first came out I remember one of my mates saying completely the opposite - that overall it was their best album, but didn't have their best songs on it... I think he meant VT was more consistent, whereas FALAA and Floodland contained an uneven mix of classics and 'fillers'.
Now I’m sure you know your friend was Wrong as hell.

Both falaa and Floodland are superb albums from start to finish, I might not like every track as much as the other but you have to agree every track has his own place and ads something to the complete album, were Vision thing is just a collection of fine songs.

Btw, fillers? :eek: what songs are those?
Another Shade of You.
smiscandlon
Overbomber

christophe wrote:Now I’m sure you know your friend was Wrong as hell.

Both falaa and Floodland are superb albums from start to finish, I might not like every track as much as the other but you have to agree every track has his own place and ads something to the complete album, were Vision thing is just a collection of fine songs.

Well as you point out, I'm quoting someone else so that's not necessarily my opinion.

But I did see his point. For many years I considered Flood I and II as little more than interludes between the 'proper' songs on Floodland...

I've since revised my opinion, but I guess everyone has different viewpoints on the good/bad songs on any album.
анархия
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Because it has appeared on VT just recently. Give them time James... :lol:
"as we walk on the floodland"
christophe
Overbomber

smiscandlon wrote:I've since revised my opinion.
thank god :wink:
smiscandlon wrote:but I guess everyone has different viewpoints on the good/bad songs on any album.
certainly, I was just saying my thoughts on the album. :)
VT is a lot easier to listen to, in fact if it wasn't for that album I would never have given floodland or falaa another listen.

@ Ozpat: it came out even before the album so that isn't really a good excuse :lol: I would love to see it on a setlist someday, even is if is just for once (say Zottegem?) :D :innocent:
Another Shade of You.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

christophe wrote: @ Ozpat: it came out even before the album so that isn't really a good excuse :lol: I would love to see it on a setlist someday, even is if is just for once (say Zottegem?) :D :innocent:
I know, I know but still...no part of the VT record, untill recently. I have to agree that it should appear on the setlist. Would love that and would love even more witnessing it. Zottegem....yeah. :D :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"
SomeKindOfStranger
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

leave it..... :wink:
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

SomeKindOfStranger wrote:
leave it..... :wink:
never! :twisted:
Episkopos
Road Kill

christophe wrote:
smiscandlon wrote:
Now I’m sure you know your friend was Wrong as hell.

I always felt FALAA was a bit of a mixed bag, to be honest. Black Planet, Marian, First and Last and Always, Amphetamine Logic, Nine While Nine, Some Kind of Stranger - pure gold. Possession, Walk Away - dreck, just sounds like jangling around without any real agenda other than shifting units to me. No Time To Cry, Rock and a Hard Place - got to be in the right mood, especially the first one. It's quite telling that the eight-song albums don't have that same feel about them - I don't think there's a note out of place on Floodland (once you restore Never Land to its full glory[/i], and Vision Thing... well, it's got its less brilliant songs but there's nothing that drops the arse out of the world the same way Possession does.
Kiss me, I'm Eldritch.
robertzombie
Overbomber

I've said it once and I'll say it again, find a 1991 performance of Possession and then you'll bloody love it :D

For example :D
Radio City Hall and Annexet - 1991
mh
Above the Chemist

Aye, and I'll back up Rob on this one. It used to be my least favourite too, until I heard live versions of it. Even now, going back to the LP version, it's mean, slithery, sinister, sparse and slightly dubby, with a lot of undercurrents of nasty stuff going on (similar to Ribbons in that respect).

But then again, I also love NTTC, so what would I know? :lol:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
DTS
Road Kill

To my mind, FALAA is the most homogenic one, but is boring sometimes, except if you are dead on whisky.
Floodland will always remain as the masterpiece for me.
VT is only good live I think...
D/T=S(peed)
pikkrong
Overbomber

Something Fast is much better without vocals of that awful lady on Vision Thing album.
do i drive
or am i driven