Recommendations

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

DeWinter wrote:Merry Thoughts have one good song,called "Will You",and that's about it..
Originally by Hazel O'Connor IIRC.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
jay
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Early Psychedelic Furs and try some Mark Lanegan
I no longer get very wrought up over the liminals

Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Besides the ones mentioned you might like Nick Cave.
"as we walk on the floodland"
scotty
Overbomber

Also:

Goodbye Mr MacKenzie
Levellers
Swervedriver
Pop Will Eat Itself
Exploited
Balaam & the Angel
Crazyhead
Atom Seed
Faith No More
Slayer
Dead Can Dance
X-MAL
Sex Pistols
Atomic Kitten..........did I mention Skeletal Family and Ghost Dance? :innocent:

And The Screaming Marrionettes were great Paul :eek: .

"KITH KITH KITH KITH cover me with a thouthand kitheth, more than all the thkyth above" :twisted:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
radiojamaica
Overbomber

jay wrote:Early Psychedelic Furs and try some Mark Lanegan
:notworthy: 8) :notworthy:

Indeed, if you like deep voices, Mark's yer man! And nobody mentioned Johnny Cash :!: Shame, shame, shame... ;D And what about Barry White?!

now where did I leave my coat :innocent:
robertzombie
Overbomber

muchos gracias

:notworthy:
Badlander
Overbomber

As I said, all this knowledge can be a bit overwhelming. :wink:

So you can save yourself some time. Just go there :

http://www.ghostdance.co.uk/

And enjoy Ghostdance live vids.
Man it's good to see dear Gary, He Who Rocks Hard.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

March Violets!
Dark
Underneath the Rock

SSV-NSMABAAETWMODAACOTIATW are fairly good as well. :innocent:
scotty
Overbomber

Badlander wrote:As I said, all this knowledge can be a bit overwhelming. :wink:

So you can save yourself some time. Just go there :

http://www.ghostdance.co.uk/

And enjoy Ghostdance live vids.
Man it's good to see dear Gary, He Who Rocks Hard.
:notworthy: 8) :notworthy: good choice 8)

Skeletal Family

Into The Souls
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
mugabe
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

• Lee Hazlewood - Nancy and Lee, Cowboy in Sweden, and Poet, Fool or Bum
  • Katatonia - Discouraged Ones
  • The The - Infected
  • R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
  • Paradise Lost - Icon
  • Stillborn - Necrospirituals
  • All albums by Sixteen Horsepower
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
James Blast
Banned

Shriekback and For Greater Good, indeed :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Badlander
Overbomber

mugabe wrote:
  • Paradise Lost - Icon
I much prefer Draconian times. I know it's been a subject for debate.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

James Blast wrote:Shriekback and For Greater Good, indeed :D
And thus there was nothing more to be added by me :lol:

Or perhaps - if you'd really like to go for an odd choice - Post Punk from Sao Paulo

And I must try to stop pressing ctrl+w instead of alt+w, closes the bloody tab instead of the tag :evil:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
SomeKindOfStranger
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

..and on a more modern note, for deep vocals and songs that kick a** try the Faces of Sarah or Killing Miranda (especially the last album).
For sheer bouncyness and chorus's you can really hum, try Manuskript
Or for something a bit slower, The Ghost of Lemora.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Oh, modern stuff: The Kills, absolutely! :D :D :D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Shriekback and For Greater Good, indeed :D
I forgot all about mentioning Shriekback. Good call. :notworthy:

Recommended Shriekback Tracks:
  • My Spine (is the Bass Line)
  • Gunning for the Buddha
  • This Big Hush
  • Nemesis
  • Faded Flowers
  • Everything That Rises Must Converge
  • Mercy Dash
  • Lines from the Library
I highly recommend you track down these songs. Try SoulSeek. :wink:
smiscandlon
Overbomber

scotty wrote:And The Screaming Marrionettes were great Paul :eek: .

"KITH KITH KITH KITH cover me with a thouthand kitheth, more than all the thkyth above" :twisted:
Always did have a soft spot for the Marionettes... :lol:
анархия
WolfLover
Road Kill

Badlander wrote:
mugabe wrote:
  • Paradise Lost - Icon
I much prefer Draconian times. I know it's been a subject for debate.
Its an awesome album and its just a real shame that its never in the top metal albums lists because there are a lot of amazing tracks and stunning guitar playing on it by Gregor McKintosh.
Last edited by WolfLover on 30 May 2007, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
WolfLover
Road Kill

You could try Occult by 'Opened Paradise' which is an amazing old style goth rock album played in the vein of Fields of the Nephilim and with some other gothic rock influences from the 80s. It also has a stunning closing track called 'Distant Walks Through Shifting Light' which is nearly as good as 'Last Exit For the Lost' by Fields of the Nephilim. :D :D :D :D
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Nationalise the f**king lot.
James Blast
Banned

PLost ~ Drac Times, every time! ImageImageImage
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
WolfLover
Road Kill

James Blast wrote:PLost ~ Drac Times, every time! ImageImageImage
Awesome album, and stunning artwork :D :D :D :D Not sure what the new album is like though, although the cover is'nt half as good as Draconian Times and also I much prefer the old logo that they last used on One Second. :(
sultan2075
Overbomber

This might tread some of the same ground as some others (though I'll try not to do so), but here goes...

You might like Sixteen Horsepower. They've got a creepy backwoods country vibe going on, I'd especially recommend Low Estate and everything after. They're a religious group, by the way, but don't let that stop you, they were the bees (exceedingly creepy) knees.

In a similar vein, I'd recommend Jay Munly's solo work (especially Jimmy Carter Syndrome, a record that I can't recommend enough) and the group he's involved with, Slim Cessna's Auto Club (in particular, Always Say Please and Thank You is a fantastic record). The Auto Club is out on Jello Biafra's Alternative Tentacles label.

In a less organic vein, I've become quite a fan of Jessica's Crime. Gone to Texas is a rather good record. I can hear shades of a lot of different things in their sound--punk rock, Morricone cowboy movie music, old country, industrial, etc (all sorts of things--the song 'Texas Skies' sort of reminds me of The Fall a little bit; incidentally, you might like them too). I've mentioned them on here before, and I took the plunge and bought the record. It's quite good. They have some tunes here: http://www.myspace/jessicascrime

A few people have recommended Mark Lanegan; he's definitely got one of the coolest voices in rock. He began with a sort of whiskey-edged baritone, but is now approaching Tom Waits territory (ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but he's definitely got one of those voices that sounds better when it's been abused). The inaccurately named Bubblegum is a killer record, as is the Here Comes That Weird Chill Again: Methamphetamine Blues ep that preceded it. His earlier stuff is more sparse than either of these records, rather folksy in fact. He also did time in a band called Screaming Trees, sort of a psychadelic/punk prone to occasional moments of genius. I think that he is probably the only major talent to emerge out of the 1990's Seattle grunge explosion. Oh, and with that in mind, Mudhoney are just a really great dirty punk band, if you go for that sort of thing. Also, Queens of the Stone Age--to which Lanegan is a sometimes contributor--are also a bloody good band.

Nick Cave's Grinderman project is interesting. I know some people on here like it more than I do. Some of it's brillilant, some of it's not--which is basically my assessment of everything he's done since what i think is his last truly great record, The Boatman's Call.

And while it's more than likely not what you're looking for, I've recently been getting into Chrome a little bit. HalfMachineLipMoves is the grandaddy to anything calling itself industrial-rock. Noisy, low-fi, and probably fueled by more copious drugs use than anything this side of Keith Richards, it's pretty neat. Really, it's hard to put this record into words.

Again, in a similar vein, if you've never heard Einsturzende Neubauten, I'd suggest checking them out. The early stuff is much more noisy than the later stuff. I tend to prefer the later stuff, and would recommend Ende Neu and Silence is Sexy.

If you've never heard anything by Leonard Cohen--a huge influence on the Sisters, natch--I'd recommend checking him out. Among my favorites is Cohen Live, which has a gorgeous rendition of 'Dance Me to the End of Love,' as well as others. I may be in the minority in this, but I also think Ten New Songs ranks with the best of his earlier work.

Oh, and I'll second the recommendation on Fields of the Nephilim's second LP, The Nephilim. I don't think they ever made a record as close to perfect as this one; the only time Carl comes close ever again is with Zoon. The new one I think is ruined by the production. It just sounds too digital for my tastes.

Hopefully something I've suggested will tickle your fancy. Enjoy.
Last edited by sultan2075 on 31 May 2007, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
EmeraldSignal
Amphetamine Filth

Motz wrote:Oh, and listen to The Chameleons, just because ;)

I used to know someone who played in the chameleons, I think.