Jörg Immendorff

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
jay
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

One of Germany's most important artists has sadly died.
Last edited by jay on 29 May 2007, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
I no longer get very wrought up over the liminals

psichonaut
Overbomber

how many years old was he?
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
jay

Only 61

psichonaut
Overbomber

now i understand why he had cocaine 3 years ago...with seven ungry women i need it too....maybe 20 grams
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
Dr. Moody
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

R.I.P,
Contemporary German artist Jorg Immendorff, best known for his Café Deutschland series of paintings, has died at the age of 61.

Immendorff, who suffered from the neurodegenerative disease ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig's disease), died Monday after he went into cardiac arrest at home in Duesseldorf.

Immendorff won fame in the late 1970s and through the 1980s for his Café Deutschland series. The vibrant, busy paintings depicted scenes from an imaginary nightclub on the border between the former East and West Germany and dealt with the partition of Germany and its post-Second World War problems.

The northern Germany-born artist was a student of Joseph Beuys at the Duesseldorf Art Academy during the 1960s.

During his years as a student activist, he rejected traditional paintings and was kicked out of the school for staging a series of political and neo-dadaist performance-art "happenings."

During the 1970s, he and other students formed a neo-expressionist artists group called the Neue Wilde. Later, Immendorff spent about a dozen years teaching art to high school students.

In 1996, the artist returned to his Duesseldorf alma mater as a professor.

More recently, Immendorff's eye turned inward, with his paintings reflecting more personal issues and demonstrating more of a surrealist style.

Later in his life, Immendorff became a friend and supporter of former German chancellor Gerhard Schroeder. He unveiled a portrait of Schroeder, destined for display at the German Federal Chancellery, earlier this year.
canon docre
Overbomber

thanks Dr. Moody for pointing out, that there was more to Immendorf than just this prostitute-thing. :wink:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
jay

canon docre wrote:thanks Dr. Moody for pointing out, that there was more to Immendorf than just this prostitute-thing. :wink:
There was a hell of a lot more to him, he was a damn fine artist
http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/artist ... endorf.htm

canon docre
Overbomber

jay wrote:
canon docre wrote:thanks Dr. Moody for pointing out, that there was more to Immendorf than just this prostitute-thing. :wink:
There was a hell of a lot more to him, he was a damn fine artist
http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/artist ... endorf.htm
exactly.
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Dr. Moody

Immendorff's illness meant that he could literally drop dead any second,
who can blame him for having a little fun :wink:
the whole drug orgy scandal is sadly gonna come up a lot in the obits, there's a lot to be said for living life on your own terms,
he just got caught having too much fun.
undertow
Amphetamine Filth

I went to an Immendorf retrospective in Berlin two years ago , I was really impressed.
'I have reason to believe' he said, 'that one of you has been going out at night!'
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

FFS shouldn't we expect our avant-garde artists to take a shîtload of drugs and party with loads of prostitutes? Isn't that what Van Gogh, Gaugin, Toulouse-Lautrec, etc. etc. ad infinitum all did?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dr. Moody

nice obituary in the times today...
"Powerful painter who deployed shock tactics and showmanship to scrutinise the paradoxes in postwar German society"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 856880.ece