A quote from That Guitarist about TSOM

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

paint it black wrote:
_emma_ wrote:
the official site wrote:Dear Doktor, I'm a good guitar player, but my songs are feeble-minded. If I play with the Sisters for a year and then leave to become a full-time gob s**t, will I be able to steal your thunder?

Definitely. For about sixteen seconds.
And after the sixteen seconds have passed and you still wish to keep the thunder, you'll have to keep reminding everybody that you used to be a Sisters guitarist.
_emma_ , surely the mish were 'bigger' than the sisters :?

even my mum liked 'children'
So what is the stand up comediants' problem? :lol:
I would not even be surprised if he would have regular looks on HL or maybe he even is a member.... :twisted:

Anyway: not sure about that in the UK but not on the mainland for sure.
What's "bigger" anyway? Total amount of records sold (half of the mish ones are crap anyway) ? Number of appearances in TOTP? Popularity amongst British media? Audience during gigs, number of gigs?

Maybe number of band members on the bands own forum? :lol:

What I know for sure is that in most countries on the mainland lots of people do know TC and TOL but have never heard about Severina, Evangeline or some kind of Butterflie On A Wheel.

In 1990 I saw Hussey headlining the Pinkpop festival. Only the fans in the front rows were impressed. Two years later I saw Eldritch headlining the Pukkelpop festival. Everybody loved it!
During those years I had nothing against Hussey and was even looking forward to see him and his band.

So yeah, maybe I got curious...why are they considered "bigger" at some places (obviously)?
"as we walk on the floodland"
_emma_
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:
_emma_ wrote:
the official site wrote:Dear Doktor, I'm a good guitar player, but my songs are feeble-minded. If I play with the Sisters for a year and then leave to become a full-time gob s**t, will I be able to steal your thunder?

Definitely. For about sixteen seconds.
And after the sixteen seconds have passed and you still wish to keep the thunder, you'll have to keep reminding everybody that you used to be a Sisters guitarist.
_emma_ , surely the mish were 'bigger' than the sisters :?

even my mum liked 'children'
What's 'children'?
:? :wink: :D
doctoravalanche
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Here are a few photos, sorry for the bad quality but they were taken with my cell phone ...

smiscandlon
Overbomber

Ach, it's just banter, surely? :roll:

(Nice pics doctoravalanche :notworthy: )
анархия
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Huss appears to be going for the Bonio-from-U2 vibe. :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Have you heard Mr. Hewson play guitar? It ain't pretty - even with a line6.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Troo dat.

I meant "look" not "sound" :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Huss appears to be going for the Bonio-from-U2 vibe. :lol:
Long before Bono adopted the US -bashing, leather-clad, permashades look, someone we know reasonably well had that mantle pretty much covered, don't you think?

That said, Acthung Baby is/was a reet record :D
mh
Above the Chemist

They don't look too bad. The first pic could almost be the Sisters, oddly enough (and entirely unrelated to the mutual sniping vibe).
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

I see a Batman T

good enough for me.....
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
eldorado69
Road Kill

doctoravalanche wrote:
paint it black wrote:even my mum liked 'children'
My mom prefer the Sisters :D
My mum also prefered my sisters, even the fat one!
It disturbs me no more to find men base, unjust, or selfish than to see apes mischievous, wolves savage, or the vulture ravenous
doctoravalanche

smiscandlon wrote:(Nice pics doctoravalanche :notworthy: )
Thank you so much ;)
PipoTheClown
Amphetamine Filth

Ozpat wrote:[In 1990 I saw Hussey headlining the Pinkpop festival. Only the fans in the front rows were impressed. Two years later I saw Eldritch headlining the Pukkelpop festival. Everybody loved it!
Nope, I saw them too on pukkelpop. And they sucked ass. The people
I gave a lift back to Holland (which were complete strangers) said
the same. And during the concert I heard more people complain...

Did you hear the backgroundsingers on Body Electric? and you kept a straigt face? wow, I'm impressed! :D :D
Axe FX - Fractal Adidio
brunobossier
Amphetamine Filth

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/natasha

Listen carefully to (I think) question 5. I find it very funny ....
Dark
Underneath the Rock

markfiend wrote:Bonio-from-U2
:lol:

I've gotta start calling him that
mh
Above the Chemist

Bongo is better. ;D

Even though the hearing aid shop he got his name from (which I walk past every day on the way to work) is actually called "BONAVOX".

If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Dark wrote:
markfiend wrote:Bonio-from-U2
:lol:

I've gotta start calling him that
I cannot tell a lie, I nicked the idea from VIZ comic.
—Bertrand Russell
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

PipoTheClown wrote:
Ozpat wrote:[In 1990 I saw Hussey headlining the Pinkpop festival. Only the fans in the front rows were impressed. Two years later I saw Eldritch headlining the Pukkelpop festival. Everybody loved it!
Nope, I saw them too on pukkelpop. And they sucked ass. The people
I gave a lift back to Holland (which were complete strangers) said
the same. And during the concert I heard more people complain...

Did you hear the backgroundsingers on Body Electric? and you kept a straigt face? wow, I'm impressed! :D :D
You saw them there as well? :eek: You never liked their gigs but you kept on watching them? :eek: :roll: . Probably you will be in Zottegem as well.... :lol: :notworthy: :twisted:
I have a great recording of the gig (not talking about Electric Live) which brings back the great memories. I have discussed the gig with fellow HL-ers and they also remember the good vibes of the gig. If you say they sucked ass you just don't like the Sisters live or at all besides maybe some (pre) FALAA stuff ya effin' goff. :D

I did not hear anybody complain but I did see only enthousiastic people. Very different from the Mish on Pinkpop. You cannot deny that. At Pinkpop almost everybody was complaining... :lol:

Pipo certainly not, but yes....you are a clown. :lol: :lol: :twisted:
"as we walk on the floodland"
lachert
Overbomber

poor wayne
long live rock'n'roll
doctoravalanche

TAK: The Hideous New Girl
Road Kill

This is just me expressing opinions of the moment - so I appologize if I p*ss anyone off I just want to share a thought or two.

maybe it's all inevitable. Eldtritch is a natural cynic. Intelligent, intellectual, but a rock musician at the end of the day. Disappointed in his audience at times? Then why didn't he become a college lecturer or a public speaker or something? Because he loves rock and roll. He can seem ungrateful in a way that Hussey just laps it up.

Hussey just wanted to be a pop star and live that life. Probably a nice bloke, down to earth and stuff, probably not terribly intellectual, loves the attention, and it shows. A great guitarist, not big on lyrical content - whereas Von is obviously about serious multi-level lyrical content and pretty punk when it comes to musical ability? And Hussey's influences are a lot more pre-punk than Von's I think? Which is never a good thing in my wee book, and a whole other subject post in itself?

Totally different blokes often struggling against their audience.

Neither of them are the lesser of evils though. They're just musos doing their thing and I'm glad they're surviving at the end of the day.
smiscandlon
Overbomber

TAK: The Hideous New Girl wrote:This is just me expressing opinions of the moment - so I appologize if I p*ss anyone off I just want to share a thought or two.

maybe it's all inevitable. Eldtritch is a natural cynic. Intelligent, intellectual, but a rock musician at the end of the day. Disappointed in his audience at times? Then why didn't he become a college lecturer or a public speaker or something? Because he loves rock and roll. He can seem ungrateful in a way that Hussey just laps it up.

Hussey just wanted to be a pop star and live that life. Probably a nice bloke, down to earth and stuff, probably not terribly intellectual, loves the attention, and it shows. A great guitarist, not big on lyrical content - whereas Von is obviously about serious multi-level lyrical content and pretty punk when it comes to musical ability? And Hussey's influences are a lot more pre-punk than Von's I think? Which is never a good thing in my wee book, and a whole other subject post in itself?

Totally different blokes often struggling against their audience.

Neither of them are the lesser of evils though. They're just musos doing their thing and I'm glad they're surviving at the end of the day.
Overall, I find that a very astute post, Hideous New Girl ... but I'm not quite sure what you mean by the sentence I've highlighted. I don't hear much of a punk influence on Floodland...
анархия
TAK: The Hideous New Girl
Road Kill

Mmmm... What I was thinking of was the fact that Von's not about frills. He embraced the northern punk scene in a way that I always felt that Hussey was just 'right place at right time'. Hussey can obviously play, he's all about the frilly bits, Zepplin, prog etc. Von's approach always feels much more pared-down, basic rock and roll. As to Floodland, it's seriously hi-fi in terms of production, but it's also amazingly minimal, looking forward in a way that the mish are always heading back to their Zepplin albums. I know the Sisters are still a rock band, but Sisters weren't and wouldn't be out of place on a bill with the likes of Johnny Rotten, The Stooges, Suicide, Ministry. Post-rock - I wish I could say the same for the mish?
I'm a Tomboy. No I'm not, I'm a JaneGirl.
jenzi-benzi

uhhh, they have a drummer, weird band ;D :lol:
Nixon
Amphetamine Filth

I am amazed that although Wayne is a grown man he still won't let things rest. It's not even as if he was a member of the original line up. To paraphrase a quote that has been used elsewhere, Hussey's criticism of Eldrith is like the triangle player out of Phil Collins' band bitching about what a hard time he had.