car insurance question

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Right I know I am getting very boring talking about cars all the time, BUT I had to phone up to change a detail on my car insurance and they said "oh by the way you have got an immobiliser and a tracker fitted haven't you, otherwise if your car gets stolen you can't claim", so I said "well thats news to me" so they gave me a number to get a tracker. I seem to remember reading something about an immobiliser in the manual but as the car is in the garage at the moment I can't check there actually is one.

I asked my boss at work and he said you should have an immobiliser but he said a tracker is silly as it would cost loads to get one fitted and his insurance doesn't say he has to have one on his, and his car is better than mine. He said he could understand if I had a valuable car ( :lol: ) but I haven't.

Has anyone else been told to get a tracker fitted?
Silver_Owl
The Don

Well, I just bought a new car and phoned Tesco to get the insurance and they certainly didn't ask anything about a tracker. I don't even know what one is :?
If you told them you had an immobiliser when you set up the policy and you haven't I guess that could be a problem.

But really - don't get me started on cars and insurance. :evil: :evil: :x :cry:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote: If you told them you had an immobiliser when you set up the policy and you haven't I guess that could be a problem.
I didn't tell them I've got an immobiliser because they never asked, I think there is one and when I get my car back I shall check!

Gah I wish I never got a car now! :lol:
scotty
Overbomber

Don't take the first offer, I saved about Seventy quid a year by playing the AA off against Admiral, I got a quote from One then phoned up the other telling them their price, they under cut each other Three or Four times :eek: 'till the AA said they couldn't match Admiral, so haggle :wink:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Well I don't know about your insurances but a long while ago I worked for a few insurance companies in my country and to me it seems that a cheaper insurance expects extra things so there is a smaller chance they will have to pay.

I'd check out some other insurances and compare a few.
Last edited by Ozpat on 13 Jun 2007, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
"as we walk on the floodland"
Silver_Owl
The Don

Brideoffrankenstein wrote: Gah I wish I never got a car now! :lol:
Tell me about it. :lol: :evil:
You could just lie...'Oh yeah - I've got one of them and one of them. And I keep it in a secure garage with a 24 hour security guard etc etc...'
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote: You could just lie...'Oh yeah - I've got one of them and one of them. And I keep it in a secure garage with a 24 hour security guard etc etc...'
:lol:
Except that I told them it will be parked on the street - doh! :roll:
gudge
Road Kill

Unless you have 40k+ car then the chances of you having a tracker fitted are minimal i.e. zero unless the car has been heavily modded prior to you getting it.
There is very little point in getting one fitted as the reduction in insurance probably won`t cover the cost and upkeep of the tracker system.
If they say you told them it has one then get them to prove it and until they do make sure that they provide cover based on the original quote you accepted.A computer error on their part is not your problem and you should not be penalised.However you may find that your next year`s premium may go up with whoever you go with.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Did you read the small print?