An idea regarding setlists

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

It won't actually achieve anything, but it might be fun. I apologise if it comes off as idiotic

EITHER

Everyone submits list of songs about 80 minutes long, (1 bootleg cd's worth :wink: ) or a maximum of 16 songs, by the girls (making sure to pick at LEAST 1 song from each album (otherwise it if we have a majority of, say, floodland era fans we may end up with the entirety of floodland) and then we pic the top 16 most choosen tracks.

OR

We do a large poll with every sisters song and everyone votes for the one they want played live the most.

THEN
We then send our selection to Ben and Chris and say (in a purely non-demanding, artist/fan club kinda way): Here are our fave song, from a good sampling of sisters fans...any chance of a gig that looks a little like this?

I know it seems a bit of a hopeless thing to do, but who knows, the younger guys seem genunily keen and good natured about this kind of thing, and they are in a better position to put it to the old geezer himself.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Badlander
Overbomber

I know of one instance where such an initiative worked : in 1996, The Cure's French fanzine "Three imaginary boys" (which I was a subscriber to at the time) took a poll asking the fans to name their four of five favourite tracks for the imminent French tour.

"Cold" came up first, Robert Smith learned about the result, and as surprised as he was, he did insert the song back in the set list.

Did I tell you the whole thing had been initiated by the band themselves ? Big difference, isn't it ? :innocent:

Do you seriously believe Von doesn't know about fans' frustration regarding the set lists of recent tours ? :roll:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Badlander wrote:
Do you seriously believe Von doesn't know about fans' frustration regarding the set lists of recent tours ? :roll:
In 1992 TOL '92 was a hit in Belgium. The Sisters did not play the song on Pukkelpop that night. People were shouting and almost begging for it.
I always have been convinced they did not play it on purpose. :lol:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Dr. Moody
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I think :von: once said he had a policy of never playing the single.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Badlander wrote: Do you seriously believe Von doesn't know about fans' frustration regarding the set lists of recent tours ? :roll:
There's more than one? :innocent:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

If I ask gently, without pressure, without violence, do you think he migth consider playing the following setlist (I knowI cheeted a bit with the double songs ;D )

1. conf numb/SKOS
2. Ribbons
3. FALAA
4. long train/detonation
5. flood I+II
6.dominion/mother russia
7.amphetamine logic
8.TOL
9 marian/emma
10. giving ground/summer ;D
11. alice
12.body electric
13. anaconda
14. lucretia
15. TNO/Vision thing
16. 1969
17. sister ray/ghostrider
MUSICA È
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

I'd say NO Stef.....

If you wanna know what the setlist looks like have a look at the Lorca one; which will be confirmed in Germany. Reminds me of summer 2002 when the Sisters had 3 gigs at festivals and played identical setlists. However, he sometimes does surprise you Belgians...Emma/Uptown Top Ranking in 2005. :)
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

Ozpat wrote:I'd say NO Stef.....

If you wanna know what the setlist looks like have a look at the Lorca one; which will be confirmed in Germany. Reminds me of summer 2002 when the Sisters had 3 gigs at festivals and played identical setlists. However, he sometimes does surprise you Belgians...Emma/Uptown Top Ranking in 2005. :)
:evil: i was dreaming patje. Looking forward thjough to meet you ;D
MUSICA È
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

stefan moermans wrote:
Ozpat wrote:I'd say NO Stef.....

:evil: i was dreaming patje. Looking forward thjough to meet you ;D
:lol: I know Stef.... :twisted:

I have the same kind of dreams about new songs, setlists, albums and dvd's....

Keep your dreams Stef.....en maak een groot spandoek voor Von met daarop setlist, nieuwe cd etc etc...

Looking forward as wel Stef....
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Maybe Von also knows not everyone is frustrated with the setlists, and maybe he also knows the idea of a rock band is not to cater to the audience. That whole idea is shall i say hypermodern and has all to do with being a whore and little to do with being an artiste.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
doctoravalanche
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Maisey wrote:We then send our selection to Ben and Chris and say (in a purely non-demanding, artist/fan club kinda way): Here are our fave song, from a good sampling of sisters fans...any chance of a gig that looks a little like this?
The thing is that I think they don't have their word to say, I think Andrew decides everyhting by himself and then the guitarists only have to execute ;)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

itnAklipse wrote:Maybe Von also knows not everyone is frustrated with the setlists, and maybe he also knows the idea of a rock band is not to cater to the audience. That whole idea is shall i say hypermodern and has all to do with being a whore and little to do with being an artiste.
I agree with dei. Chances are, if :von: got wind of this, he'd pick a completely different set of 16 songs just out of contrariness.

(World don't faint, I agree with dei on something :lol: )
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Badlander
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Chances are, if :von: got wind of this, he'd pick a completely different set of 16 songs just out of contrariness.
Then just pick the songs you hate the most. :innocent:
It's just basic reversed psychology. :lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yes but if he gets wind that we're picking the songs we hate, he'll play them. So we should pick songs we like out of double-bluff.

But then he might have thought of that, so we should pick the songs we hate... etc. etc. :lol:

F*ck it, just let the man play what he wants to play.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

I'm sure if you would take such action, a 80 minute version of Drugsar is what you get.
guns & cars & accidents
Badlander
Overbomber

Playing the songs you want regardless of what, not only the general public, but also the truly dedicated fans want is a bit like masturbating in public. I much prefer being made love to. ;D
And I'm not too keen on paying to have the privilege to watch a middle-aged man get a good-old-fashioned wank in public. :innocent:
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

playing new songs requires practice. how much would you bother for three meetings on stage and four hours work?

sets'll get worseer not betterer :|
Goths have feelings too
mh
Above the Chemist

Giving YCBTO a good slaughtering would certainly be feasible under those kinda circumstances. :D

Notice how this would appeal to both the pro and the anti crowds
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

its all good stuff, so i dont mind 8)

the only thing i'd say is that they could mix it up a bit between tours.... still keep a couple of the bugger ones (tol, tc & dom for example) and a few of the new(er) ones, but mix and match from the back catalogue for older songs.

SGWBM and FALAA have a stack of good songs on that really do deserve plundering. its a shame to only wheel out the same half dozen or so old songs...

look at the reaction that switching a couple of songs out to make room for body electric, burn and lucretia (for example) had a couple of years ago. they went down an absolute storm....

all that good will gifted to them for very little effort.

there's a lesson there ;)

i realise that means the guitarists have to learn new material, but 'cmon! most of those songs aint that complicated :roll:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

I wasn't thinking for the summer festivals, maybe for next years tour/this years winter gigs.

Do you think sending an email suggesting this to Ben and/or Chris would get a positive responce or a polite/impolite brush off?

Its like, at the Astoria gig I would have gone away MUCH happier if he had played maybe 2 songs from first and last and always.

Same with the Nephs, if they had JUST played For her light, half of the people that went away grumbling about the disregard of Elysium would have had a much better night, but no, Carl wanted to play 18 tracks from Zoon. We're not saying stop playing the new stuff...
(that said, Carl gave me Last exit and The Watchman, I am a happy Maisey).
Last edited by Maisey on 15 Jun 2007, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

And :von: surely knows the words :innocent:

Although judging from the Emma / Uptown Top Rankin' performance at Lokeren, maybe not...
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i think the idea would probably get a polite brush off, tbh...

ben & chris, believe it or not, have not been lifelong sisters fans. they hadnt even heard most sisters sings until the last tour... i gather the pair of them went on a shopping spree while in glasgow, where they bought copies of all the sisters albums from hmv :lol: :lol:

while we might know every single nuance of sisters songs, inside out (even those who dont play any instruments), they're still learning this stuff

i've no doubt that they will uncover songs on the back catalogue that they like, and may even ask von if they can try them, but as stated above the setlists are mostly determined by von, and based mainly on which songs he has taught them

the couple of very new songs they have been doing are the fruits of chris, ben & von's song writing efforts. i gather 'still' was written on tour, and vefore notts it was only ever played during sound checks.

imho, that it was slotted into the set so quickly is a testament to ben & chris' determination to inject some of their own input into the proceddings 8)

going forward, i think its more likely that there will be new material written by ben, chris & von, than any plundering of the archives. however, given the notoriously slow rate at which von writes lyrics, i'm not holding my breath for any of them :|
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Maisy wrote:[/]
Same with the Nephs

And what 'bout Celine Dion?

:innocent:
guns & cars & accidents
sultan2075
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Yes but if he gets wind that we're picking the songs we hate, he'll play them. So we should pick songs we like out of double-bluff.

But then he might have thought of that, so we should pick the songs we hate... etc. etc. :lol:
Vizzini wrote: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so
funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned!
Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the
classic blunders! The most famous is never get
involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly
less well-known is this: never go in against a
Sicilian when death is on the line!!
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol:

Indeed ;D
—Bertrand Russell