Techy trouble...><

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
aims
Overbomber

I know I've not been around for a while (exams...over tomorrow), but this was the only place I bothered to put in my /etc/hosts and now my DNS server has gone :urff:

Would somebody please be kind enough to post the IP of Google and/or a good domain lookup site (for purposes of retrieving domain names manually).

Danke? :cry:

P.S. Blast!, you have another convert. However, it's shipping from the US, so I'm still stuck on this windows box for a few more days...;D
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
aims
Overbomber

Cheers, Quiffy, goes some way to solving it :D

Only problem is, it's a Sky router which won't let me change the actual server, hence manual lookup (and then insertion into /etc/hosts) until it decides to play ball again - I'd use my old Pipex server if it wasn't. As a result, the google search isn't working, since they're all links to domain names, not IP addresses.

Thanks for your help anyhow, it's letting me try to find the IP of a lookup site =)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

you using sky broadband? i have that at home. with the netgear router...?
aims
Overbomber

Yeah, the crippled netgear router :lol:

It's normally fine (apart from the rather disastrous DHCP leasing...), but it's done this before a couple of times. Everything's working aside from DNS lookup. Which isn't very much, since everything else relies on DNS ;D
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

mine worked pretty much out of the box tbh, although it does drop its web connection from time to time, and then once its dropped it takes an absolute eternity to re-establish. i often need to reboot the router a good few times before it can re-connect :urff:

you patched the firware to .28 ?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

btw, this is a useful site 8)

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/

or http://85.10.136.226/ ;) :lol:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

on the plus side, the wireless side of it works a treat with my macbook pro, jo's windows laptop and my old desktop (was xp, now ubuntu)
James Blast
Banned

I allas knew you were a man of taste Mike, good luck with the last 'test' and welcome to the future. ;D :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
aims
Overbomber

Well that was a bit of a shock - fail'd to authenticate on reboot for a good 5-10 minutes. Must be something playing very silly buggers up stream. The forum link looks sehr useful though, hopefully I'll find something good stuff there :D

Good to know it'll work fine with the Mac too ;)
Dark
Underneath the Rock

We got another of those Mac Whores, people. Now he's beyond help... :lol:

Me, I'll stick with my bloated easy-to-cripple OS. :lol:
mh
Above the Chemist

Motz wrote:Cheers, Quiffy, goes some way to solving it :D

Only problem is, it's a Sky router which won't let me change the actual server, hence manual lookup (and then insertion into /etc/hosts)
That's odd.

Sky force you to rely on their own DNS servers? They block port 53 outbound from their network? Yuck.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
aims
Overbomber

That's a point, I've been assuming to use the router - on which you can't change the DNS server - for DNS. Might look into that, cheers.

The solution I was thinking of, other than keeping dnsstuff.com in /etc/hosts and manually harvesting my favourite sites, was to write a firefox DNS caching plugin. Might be fun for the holidays :P
James Blast
Banned

I think it's time I left this thread, you've all started speaking alien...
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele