UK Mac Users and Linux Users

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Yup - more politicking.

This is a link to an e-petition to prevent the BBC from making its iPlayer on-demand television service available to Windows users only, and instruct the corporation to provide its service for other operating systems (e.g. Apple Macs and Linux).

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/iplayer/

Petition can be signed by UK citizens or residents only (Or, if you're an expatriate, you're in an overseas territory, a Crown dependency or in the Armed Forces without a postcode)

Deadline to sign up by: 20 August 2007
Signatures so far: 12,763
Big Si
School Bully

Deadline to sign up by: 20 August 2007 – Signatures: 12,794 :wink:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Signed.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

aye
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Pista
Cureboi

Deadline to sign up by: 20 August 2007 – Signatures: 13,544

I just registered & that jazz & get all the way through before it realises I am in Hungary & tells me I can't download the programs :evil:
WTF is the point of slingining it up on the interweb when you can only use it inside the UK anyway?
Might as well watch the fcukin' telly when the prog's on, or record it.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

possible workaround?

mac users: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

and linux users: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/

based on 'wine' - the windows emulator :D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Why would you want a Windoze emulator though? *shudder*
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:Why would you want a Windoze emulator though? *shudder*
its like a windows 'shell' emulator more than anything. you dont have to get your hands dirty with the windows desktop or gui - you just install windows apps into a container (called a 'bottle', from its origins as the linux Wine project :?)

i mainly use it because it means i can finally run ms visio 2003 on my laptop - there really is no decent mac version of a flowcharting/technical drawing program :(

also, i use a piece of software called 'enterprise architect' - http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/ - as part of my job and there aint a mac port of that either

crossover means i can run either of them from within macos ;) :D

an dthey're no less stable than when running natively under windows :lol: :urff: :roll:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ah right I get it. 8)
—Bertrand Russell
silentNate
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Am in the middle of discussing this with a friend who works for the BBC, I doubt his reply will be any one that might be acceptable to post however :oops:
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
James Blast
Banned

13,609 now ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Quiff Boy wrote:
markfiend wrote:Why would you want a Windoze emulator though? *shudder*
its like a windows 'shell' emulator more than anything. you dont have to get your hands dirty with the windows desktop or gui - you just install windows apps into a container (called a 'bottle', from its origins as the linux Wine project :?)

i mainly use it because it means i can finally run ms visio 2003 on my laptop - there really is no decent mac version of a flowcharting/technical drawing program :(
Yup, I run Wine as well (it was a bugger getting it working on 64-bit Linux, but I managed) for a couple of Windows programs - mainly IE so I can test websites in IE without having to use Windows.
nowayjose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote: there really is no decent mac version of a flowcharting/technical drawing program :(
Tried OmniGraffle? A Mac friend is raving about it all the time.
James Blast
Banned

An online petition to stop the BBC releasing its iPlayer on Windows XP before other operating systems has been met with a counter petition demanding exactly the opposite.

The first petition, posted on the 10 Downing Street website, demanded that the BBC hold off releasing its much discussed iPlayer until the on-demand TV service was ready to run on all operating systems, as opposed to just XP.

The petition has garnered 16,058 votes, about the same number as want Jeremy Clarkson to be Prime Minister, and well over the 200 required to force the government into a response.

The second petition, currently ticking along with 39 votes, retorted that, "Although the BBC iPlayer will initially only be available to Windows users, it is ridiculous that the BBC should have to delay releasing it on one operating system just because of others who will have to wait a short time."

The BBC has already issued a statement confirming its intention to develop the iPlayer for Apple Macs and Vista, calling it "absolutely on our critical path."

A beta version of the player was released a month ago causing a stir among ISPs who demanded the BBC contribute towards the costs of the extra bandwith the service would require.
todally lerve that phraze mahn "absolutely on our critical path" ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

nowayjose wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote: there really is no decent mac version of a flowcharting/technical drawing program :(
Tried OmniGraffle? A Mac friend is raving about it all the time.
just downloaded a trial *cough* version of that... have yet to try it though :)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

James Blast wrote:
An online petition to stop the BBC releasing its iPlayer on Windows XP before other operating systems has been met with a counter petition demanding exactly the opposite.

The first petition, posted on the 10 Downing Street website, demanded that the BBC hold off releasing its much discussed iPlayer until the on-demand TV service was ready to run on all operating systems, as opposed to just XP.

The petition has garnered 16,058 votes, about the same number as want Jeremy Clarkson to be Prime Minister, and well over the 200 required to force the government into a response.

The second petition, currently ticking along with 39 votes, retorted that, "Although the BBC iPlayer will initially only be available to Windows users, it is ridiculous that the BBC should have to delay releasing it on one operating system just because of others who will have to wait a short time."

The BBC has already issued a statement confirming its intention to develop the iPlayer for Apple Macs and Vista, calling it "absolutely on our critical path."

A beta version of the player was released a month ago causing a stir among ISPs who demanded the BBC contribute towards the costs of the extra bandwith the service would require.
todally lerve that phraze mahn "absolutely on our critical path" ;D
:lol:
which bit though? vista or mac?

10-1 they do the vista version first :roll:
James Blast
Banned

Och Aye! and I can get a legit OmniThingey to you if needed, they came bundled with some stuff we bought and us "creatives" don't use/need pish like that ;D
~ Peter Steele
Karst
Slight Overbomber

I was going to say, you want to stay away from that and get yourself a copy of Freehand. ;)
James Blast
Banned

FreeHand est morte :cry:
~ Peter Steele
Karst
Slight Overbomber

I know. I'm still using MX though.

Have to say, I'm starting to get the hang of InDesign these days...
James Blast
Banned

can't get to grips with InDesign and Illustraitor (sic) still I do everything in FH and Quark XPress 7.3 with a bit of PS and lashings of Acrobat Distiller
~ Peter Steele
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Don't like 'Illustraitor' either - one thing I like about InDesign is that you can import .psd files, and distill straight out of it. Even flightcase it.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

I only have PS to play with... I'm clueless anyway, though. :( :roll:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
James Blast
Banned

leave it to the Big Boys girlie! :lol:
~ Peter Steele
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Watch it, Blast! :eek: GRRRRRRR. :evil: :P :lol:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry: