Gary Numan's top 6 albums

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
James Blast
Banned

I don't believe you Padraig, you are such a nice young/old man ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
hellboy69
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

cheers for the linky Herr Blast ~ Numan rocked at Shepherd's Bush Empire last night, although i drank far too much BOOZES! great to see Vision Thing on his list, not my personal fave, but an unfairly maligned release IMO. Them songs were definitely big enough to fill Wembley Arena!
James Blast
Banned

YW, and let me ken whit the d/l sounds like :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
H. Blackrose

Numan has certainly done more than six albums. He did more than six albums during the embarrassing 1985-1993 period of his career alone, most of which he will happily admit should be used as beer coasters today. But I would recommend everything from 1978-1981 and 1994-2007 to Sisters fans. (I also think 1984's "Berserker" is dynamite in parts, although crap in others.) Of course the guy can't sing by conventional standards, but nor can Von. ;)

Also: I think the digs at Numan's marriage are a little bit off. Maybe if Von had married an obsessed stalker fan he'd be easier to deal with.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love." - :von: , 1993

"We will miss them when they are gone" - M. Andrews, 2024
Carpathian Psychonaut

H. Blackrose wrote:Numan has certainly done more than six albums. He did more than six albums during the embarrassing 1985-1993 period of his career alone, most of which he will happily admit should be used as beer coasters today. But I would recommend everything from 1978-1981 and 1994-2007 to Sisters fans. (I also think 1984's "Berserker" is dynamite in parts, although crap in others.) Of course the guy can't sing by conventional standards, but nor can Von. ;)
You're not wrong!

I leapt from 1982's "I, Assassin" (which isn't awful by any means) right to 94's "Sacrifice". Either end has some pretty excellent stuff dotted about.

Oh, and don't forget 1984's "The Plan" - hearing him as a snearing proto-punk band pre-synths is somewhat entertaining ;D
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Saw him here in town several years ago at the House of Blues, and was a tad disappointed. Some of the new material was really cool...but overall, it/he just was just "off." His "tough guy" stance (vs. his old Tubeway Army "alien" persona - not really a persona, though, as he's got AS) was irritating, and his rocked-out versions of his synth classics were ridiculous. Yuck! Not the Gazza I knew and loved. GRRRRRR. :|
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
pikkrong
Overbomber

is the frontman of Sulpher (Sisters continental support band in 2003 tour) still in Numan's band? or is he in M ission these days? have seen him here and there...
do i drive
or am i driven
doctoravalanche

pikkrong wrote:is the frontman of Sulpher (Sisters continental support band in 2003 tour) still in Numan's band? or is he in M ission these days? have seen him here and there...
No more in The m*****n, he plays guitars for Marilyn Manson now.
mrav
Road Kill

silentNate wrote:
Always liked Are Friends Electric? but thought he was a right-wing idiot
Can you explain the reasons why did you think he was a right-wing idiot?

Being a moderate fan of Numan, I'm interested...
E Gypsy
Amphetamine Filth

James Blast wrote:Numan really has taken a lefthand path with recent recordings, even I like them and I haven't liked anything since Replicas
RUBBISH! You can't say you didn't hear all that s**t he had in the charts -Cars and bollocks.
All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
smiscandlon
Overbomber

E Gypsy wrote:Cars and bollocks.
Don't think I remember that one. :lol:
анархия
pikkrong
Overbomber

smiscandlon wrote:
E Gypsy wrote:Cars and bollocks.
Don't think I remember that one. :lol:
Quite good name :)
do i drive
or am i driven
pikkrong
Overbomber

doctoravalanche wrote:
pikkrong wrote:is the frontman of Sulpher (Sisters continental support band in 2003 tour) still in Numan's band? or is he in M ission these days? have seen him here and there...
No more in The m*****n, he plays guitars for Marilyn Manson now.
really?
(we left Lorca festival during the 2nd or 3rd MM's song)
do i drive
or am i driven
H. Blackrose

mrav wrote: Can you explain the reasons why did you think he was a right-wing idiot?

Being a moderate fan of Numan, I'm interested...
At the time of the Falklands War, Gary was quoted in the musical press talking about his admiration for Thatcher. These days, he says he was never political, it's just that every other pop musician at the time was some kind of pretend-leftie and he wanted to rile people up a bit. The fact that Gary never seems to have a clue as to what effect his pronouncements will have on people seems to support his self-diagnosis of Asperger's. :roll:
doctoravalanche

pikkrong wrote:
doctoravalanche wrote:No more in The m*****n, he plays guitars for Marilyn Manson now.
really?
(we left Lorca festival during the 2nd or 3rd MM's song)
Yes really !!!
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Chris Starling played some guitar for Gary Numan before hooking up with the Sisters. But seems a little embarrassed to talk about it...
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
mrav
Road Kill

H. Blackrose wrote:
At the time of the Falklands War, Gary was quoted in the musical press talking about his admiration for Thatcher. These days, he says he was never political, it's just that every other pop musician at the time was some kind of pretend-leftie and he wanted to rile people up a bit. The fact that Gary never seems to have a clue as to what effect his pronouncements will have on people seems to support his self-diagnosis of Asperger's.
About his self-diagnosis of Asperger's, do people actually buy it?

I mean is it really true or it's just the easiest way to explain your attitude problem over the years?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I think an Asperger's self-diagnosis can be a little too common. For instance I came out on this online test with a score of 35.
the test wrote:Scores over 32 are generally taken to indicate Asperger's Syndrome or high-functioning autism, with more than 34 an "extreme" score.
But it's bollocks quite frankly.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dark
Underneath the Rock

1) It's not always bollocks. I went out with someone who I later found matched pretty much all the descriptions. Whether he has it or not, I don't think he wants to know.
2) Online tests mean nothing. I'd usually expect you to be the one saying that, Mark.
3) I don't want to use any mental problem as a reason for my own problems. Even if I actually were to have something, the general consensus of most people of "it's just an excuse" means that it'd just be easier to blame it on myself rather than seek help from people who blatantly couldn't care less.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

No, you misunderstand me. I meant that the online test was bollocks.

Edit to add: That test (and others like it) can encourage self-diagnoses that (like you say) potentially used as an excuse. And frankly, that I can get a score whereby I have "extreme" Aspergers is a bit silly.
Last edited by markfiend on 07 Aug 2007, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I did think it a little out-of-character for you to treat them with anything but their well-deserved level of scorn.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

;D
—Bertrand Russell
H. Blackrose

I agree that every idiot is using being an "Aspie" as an excuse these days, and this pisses the real Aspies off. I should also mention that technically Numan wasn't "self-diagnosed" precisely - his wife (aka "crazy stalker fan") suggested the idea.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love." - :von: , 1993

"We will miss them when they are gone" - M. Andrews, 2024
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

SINsister wrote:
spot778 wrote:I looked at the title of this thread and thought bloody hell who could choose 6 top Gary Numan albums.

:lol:

I stop at maybe two.
I looked at the title of this thread and thought, "Gary Numan's *made* 6 albums?!" :eek: :roll: :innocent:

Gary Numan's MADE 6 albums since Vision Thing came out!! :?