Geek Software Question!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
streamline
Slight Overbomber

I am looking at getting some photo enhancing software to make my digital camera shots look better. Nothing fancy (clean 'em up, take out the red-eye etc).

Is Photo Shop still the best, or are there others that are better?

I have a PC with XP (and an old PC at that).

I'd like your opinions please before I send a PM to Keith... :innocent:

Thanks in advance!

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
James Blast
Banned

Photoshop is indeed the Rolls Royce of image manipulation software but I'm sure it'll do far more than you could ever need. I use it professionally and have only scratched the surface, it's a mighty prog. Try Photoshop Elements, it's a cut down version for the 'casual' photographer, you should be able to get a 30 day trial version here http://www.adobe.com/downloads/
Last edited by James Blast on 05 Sep 2007, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Try irfanview - it's a very powerul and "idiot proof" freeware image viewer with some very usable edit functions:

http://irfanview.com/

Of course it's not as powerful as photoshop - but you easily can remove red-eyes, enhance colors, brightness and contrast levels....
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

If you're going to use Photoshop, just make sure you have enough memory to deal with it. 1gb will be enough. Any less and you will find the PC will start to run very sluggishly.
It is a great program though.

There are loads of tutorials on Metacafe and I'm sure on You Tube as well.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Dr. Moody
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

you could try gimp its free....

http://www.gimp.org/screenshots/

although currently trying to learn photoshop cs3 :innocent:
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

you need the Gimp
  • it's free
  • it's nearly as good as Photoshop in some areas (certainly for bog-standard image manipulation - Photoshop outshines it 10-fold in certain professional areas, I'll willingly admit)
  • it works on Windows, Macs or Linux
  • it's open source
  • there's even a free tutorial on using it for red eye removal (and other tutorials)
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

I've got PS 7.0 - any red eye removal tutorials for that version anywhere? Thanks! ;D
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
James Blast
Banned

I run Photoshop at home in conjunction with FreeHand on 256k, beat that! :P
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

If you want nowt fancy, Photoshop is probably total overkill, although if you get bitten by the bug you'll likely want something more advanced at some stage.

It's a long time since I've personally looked at photo editing software, I don't even know what's "state of the art" nowadays. I use an old freebie copy of Paint Shop Pro 5 which I got on a magazine cover disk about 7 or 8 years back, and aside from totally lacking any batch scripting facility it does all I need.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Dr. Moody
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Photoshop for the win.

I've had a bit of a look at The Gimp and it looks OK for most tasks, but I'm that used to Photoshop now that switching would be a pain.

Like James, I've been using Photoshop professionally for years, and I'm still finding new things it can do. :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
streamline
Slight Overbomber

Thanks for all your advice - I'm going to download them all and see which one suits me best.

:notworthy: :notworthy:

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you