Monks on the march

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

...Yeah, the Daily Star really missed a trick when they failed to employ me as alliterative-headline-writer in chief, didn't they? :P

Just thought this particular current affair really deserved some mention here on HL. Do we forsee Burma's junta finally being defeated by the force of peacefully protesting holy men?
Here's hoping :|

The latest news here.

And can someone tell me whether I should be calling it Myanmar now? :oops:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Carpathian Psychonaut
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I guess the difference this time is the mobile footage leaking out each day. Whilst the curfew does seem to be curtailing things, and the first few deaths have sadly occurred, they didn't have any eyes on them last time this happened when 3000+ ended up dead.

I do wonder if even that will have effect, though. As much as I hope so I've a fear that the crushing of the movement will escalate from now.....
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

In this (rotten/ugly/hateful/hate-filled) world, it seems that the jerks with the guns always "win," innit? :( :evil: :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

boudicca wrote:...Yeah, the Daily Star really missed a trick when they failed to employ me as alliterative-headline-writer in chief, didn't they? :P
this was my little effort going on in my head yesterday :oops: :oops:

Panic on the streets of Burma I wonder to myself ....

thought this was gonna be about 'atmosphere' which i guess it is :(
Goths have feelings too
psichonaut
Overbomber

SINsister wrote:In this (rotten/ugly/hateful/hate-filled) world, it seems that the jerks with the guns always "win," innit? :( :evil: :von:
this is the law of the jungle....the stonger always wins
Last edited by psichonaut on 28 Sep 2007, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Yep, the blokes with the big guns always win :|

Still, does the heart good to know some people have it in them to fight the fight regardless. :notworthy:

Just a shame they ain't like those monks at the end of Tomb Raider 2, they'd kick the living crap outta any military forces, big fckn guns or not. Alas for the boundaries that separate the virtual from the real.
'What a heavy load Einstein must have had. Morons everywhere.'
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

"Political power comes out of the barrel of a gun" -- Chairman Mao (unless I'm mistaken)

I had high hopes about the uprising in Tiananmen Square back in '89. We all know what happened there. :|

The Burmese government will come down and come down hard on the protesters. They seem to care little for international opinion.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Seems no-one's holding out much hope...
Do you really think they will come down like a ton of bricks on the protestors? They are already getting in trouble with China and Japan, getting aid withdrawn - they would really be shooting themselves in the foot if they carry on shooting other people... :|
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
smiscandlon
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:I had high hopes about the uprising in Tiananmen Square back in '89. We all know what happened there. :|
I know exactly what you mean, I remember feeling the same.
анархия
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

psichonaut wrote:
SINsister wrote:In this (rotten/ugly/hateful/hate-filled) world, it seems that the jerks with the guns always "win," innit? :( :evil: :von:
Well, humans in their infinite arrogance always like to claim that they're "above" animals - AHAHAHAHAHAHA! Animals don't know any "better;" humans have no excuse.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

paint it black wrote:
boudicca wrote:...Yeah, the Daily Star really missed a trick when they failed to employ me as alliterative-headline-writer in chief, didn't they? :P
this was my little effort going on in my head yesterday :oops: :oops:

Panic on the streets of Burma I wonder to myself ....

thought this was gonna be about 'atmosphere' which i guess it is :(
The protestors don't walk away in silence.
psichonaut
Overbomber

SINsister wrote:
psichonaut wrote:
Well, humans in their infinite arrogance always like to claim that they're "above" animals - AHAHAHAHAHAHA! Animals don't know any "better;" humans have no excuse.
humans are mammals and mammals are animals; anything is strange whether sometimes we behave as animals
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Isn't there some crap song that goes something like that? I know it mentions the Discovery Channel... :roll:
Pista
Cureboi

What do they think they can achieve?
That is their country, they are the only people that can make a difference.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Big Si
School Bully

SINsister wrote:Isn't there some crap song that goes something like that? I know it mentions the Discovery Channel... :roll:
The Bloodhound Gang - the video with them dressed as monkeys :|
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
E Gypsy
Amphetamine Filth

Please help save these beautiful people in Burma (Myanmar) just take a moment and sign the two petitions below:

here

and here
All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Unfortunately I don't think the Burmese government will take much notice of on-line petitions.

In fact IMO on-line petitions are generally a waste of time; it would take little effort to have a computer generate millions of random names and e-mail addresses, and the targets of on-line petitions know this.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
E Gypsy
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:Unfortunately I don't think the Burmese government will take much notice of on-line petitions.

In fact IMO on-line petitions are generally a waste of time; it would take little effort to have a computer generate millions of random names and e-mail addresses, and the targets of on-line petitions know this.
If it wasn't for on-line petitions Tony Blair would have introduced the car-tagging scheme and we would all be paying over £1k a year in taxes, so I would have to disagree with your glib attitude to being active and at least trying to assist humanity. F.U. :evil:
All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

For what it's worth, the example you give of petitions.pm.gov.uk is the exception; that whole site was inviting public opinion on a UK government official site. And even then, that particular petition was based on a mis-report of what the government was planning:
Tony Blair in his response to the e-petition wrote:But let me be clear straight away: we have not made any decision about national road pricing. Indeed we are simply not yet in a position to do so. We are, for now, working with some local authorities that are interested in establishing local schemes to help address local congestion problems. Pricing is not being forced on any area, but any schemes would teach us more about how road pricing would work and inform decisions on a national scheme. And funds raised from these local schemes will be used to improve transport in those areas.
However in general I stand by what I say.

Very active, sitting in front of a computer and clicking on a few buttons. Yeah that will really change the world.

You know nothing about me and what I may do outside of this board. How dare you fücking judge me.
—Bertrand Russell
E Gypsy
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:How dare you fücking judge me.
I didn't judge you, but I have now you .arrogant f**k-wit
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

Oooooh! :eek:

* Cracks open the pop corn and pulls up a chair ... *
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ah don't worry John, it's not the first time I've been called arrogant. On-line keyboard heroics. I take it as a compliment. ;)

To recap: on-line petitions are generally a waste of time and give the armchair "slacktivist" the impression of giving a sh!t when all they've really done is clicked on a few buttons on a website that will be ignored, certainly by the regime concerned, and probably even by the petitions' creators, unless it's an exercise in e-mail address collection for spammers.
—Bertrand Russell
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

markfiend wrote:Ah don't worry John, it's not the first time I've been called arrogant.
Nor the last, you arrogant barsteward! :wink: :kiss: :twisted:
'What a heavy load Einstein must have had. Morons everywhere.'
E Gypsy
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:Ah don't worry John, it's not the first time I've been called arrogant. On-line keyboard heroics. I take it as a compliment. ;)

To recap: on-line petitions are generally a waste of time and give the armchair "slacktivist" the impression of giving a sh!t when all they've really done is clicked on a few buttons on a website that will be ignored, certainly by the regime concerned, and probably even by the petitions' creators, unless it's an exercise in e-mail address collection for spammers.
LOL!
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

Planet Dave wrote:
markfiend wrote:Ah don't worry John, it's not the first time I've been called arrogant.
Nor the last, you arrogant barsteward! :wink: :kiss: :twisted:
It's a pisser though when you take a break and settle down to watch some cyber handbags at ten paces and it all just peters out ... :evil:

* reseals the pop corn and goes back to work with a flounce *
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason