Mobile Phone tech-ery geekery advice sought

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I'm thinking about dumping my Motorola Razr in favour of a Nokia model (it's a political decision, seeing as how Motorola supplies radio equipment for certain armies and I figure the company doesn't need my money). I'm thinking about the 6086 - it's got to be a flip-style quad-band (as dear old mum discovered, tri-band doesn't work on the IoM), don't really care about a music player or camera (I've already got those), and it's got to work worldwide.

Does anyone have any experience of one of these puppies?

Ta :D
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I didn't know that about Motorola. Next time I get a "free" upgrade offer I'll go for another brand.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

Don't know much about the nokia, but I would bin the moto just because it's a cr@p phone imho.
Looks the biz (like a piece of Darth Vader) ...(er, unless of course it's a pink one), but the interface is bl00dy terrible & the memory is miniscule.
Personally I'd go for a sony ericsson P1 or K810i.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I quite like the V3i razr to be honest; I have the version with the microflash card slot and bought a 1gig card to go in it for a fiver.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

I have the V3x, but it is testing my patience somewhat.
Alarm makes it's own mind up if it wants to go off or not, to delete sms's you have to press a dozen keys, the battery is weaker than a james blunt record.
in a word; cr@p
Think I'll switch back to my sony ericsson k750.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
psichonaut
Overbomber

had in time many Nockia models....you don't be worried and buy it
nothing in common with Motorola.....Nockia is best
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
mh
Above the Chemist

Battery life on some Nokias can be pretty woejus, though. Not much of a prob if you get in the habit of keeping it continually juiced up, but if you're without access to a charger for more than a coupla days, you'll know all about it.

If I was in the market for a new one, I'd also go for a Sony Ericsson.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Pista wrote:the battery is weaker than a james blunt record
:lol: :notworthy:
анархия
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I've liked the Razr, but the battery is 6 months old and holds a charge for maybe 2 days (ok, so it might be related to dropping it in the bath, but modern technology should be able to cope with this). The keypad sucks balls - it was a great idea in the beginning, but it really doesn't hold up to any kind of abuse.

Before I got this thing I'd always used Nokias, and I'd never had a problem with them, but in those days Nokia didn't make a flip model, and I wanted a phone that wouldn't ruin the line of my suit. The Razr was fine, but my conscience won't let me keep it anymore.
Hank Moody
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

I love my little blue (wonky, annoying, weak-batteried and buggy) Motorola V300; I've had it for almost 4 years! ;D I really want a black Pebl, mainly because it's small and round and cute, and has a purple-lit display. Yum. :notworthy:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

The way I look at it is that if Motorola is getting contracts to supply hired killers with telecoms equipment, which winds up being subsidised up the whazoo by governments who should know better, then they don't need my money.

It's a personal choice - I have no problem with their technology, and they do have some very good-looking pieces of kit.
Hank Moody
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Well, I *did* stop eating Chiquita bananas because the company treats its workers like shit and pays off Columbian para-military groups and drug lords... If one refused to buy any products tainted by corporate malevolence, there'd be almost nothing left to buy, innit? :evil:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

EvilBastard wrote:The way I look at it is that if Motorola is getting contracts to supply hired killers with telecoms equipment, which winds up being subsidised up the whazoo by governments who should know better, then they don't need my money.

It's a personal choice - I have no problem with their technology, and they do have some very good-looking pieces of kit.
But this kind of thing's been going on for decades. Most communications firms have a hand in military crap somewhere. When I was at uni (USC), I did my work-study at the Center for Software Engineering. The Director held numerous workshops throughout the year, which mainly focused on military applications. Companies like Motorola and 3Com were always well-represented at these workshops...
psichonaut
Overbomber

mh wrote:Battery life on some Nokias can be pretty woejus, though. Not much of a prob if you get in the habit of keeping it continually juiced up, but if you're without access to a charger for more than a coupla days, you'll know all about it.

If I was in the market for a new one, I'd also go for a Sony Ericsson.
sony ericsson are full of problems....i changed it for a Nokia N70
psichonaut
Overbomber

[quote="SINsister"]Motorola V300; I've had it for almost 4 years![quote]
:eek: .....and i change telephone every year ;D
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

I prefer not to contribute to the planet's demise... ;)
EvilBastard
Overbomber

SINsister wrote:Well, I *did* stop eating Chiquita bananas because the company treats its workers like shit and pays off Columbian para-military groups and drug lords... If one refused to buy any products tainted by corporate malevolence, there'd be almost nothing left to buy, innit? :evil:
But if we all stopped buying the products tainted by corporate malevolence then the only products that would be available would be the clean ones, no? If Trader Joes, Body Shop, and Yves Rocher can do it, then everybody can. :D
Hank Moody
smiscandlon
Overbomber

SINsister wrote:
EvilBastard wrote:The way I look at it is that if Motorola is getting contracts to supply hired killers with telecoms equipment, which winds up being subsidised up the whazoo by governments who should know better, then they don't need my money.

But this kind of thing's been going on for decades. Most communications firms have a hand in military crap somewhere. When I was at uni (USC), I did my work-study at the Center for Software Engineering.
My degree was in Product Design Engineering. I did my third year work placement at a company that designed and built tunnel boring machines. My mate did his placement at a company that designed and built (amongst other things) missile guidance systems. :?

The same guy also did his final year design project on ways to make CCTV cameras less obtrusive. He certainly knew how to tap into growth industries. :urff: :lol:
анархия
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Aye. Wherever there's eeeeeeevil, there's sure to be filthy lucre as well. ;)
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

EvilBastard wrote:But if we all stopped buying the products tainted by corporate malevolence then the only products that would be available would be the clean ones, no? If Trader Joes, Body Shop, and Yves Rocher can do it, then everybody can. :D
Agreed! I just can't afford to do so (literally) right now. The good stuff ain't cheap, in case you hadn't noticed... They don't call Whole Foods "Whole Paycheck" for nothin'. :( :evil:
Pista
Cureboi

SINsister wrote:I love my little blue (wonky, annoying, weak-batteried and buggy) Motorola V300; I've had it for almost 4 years! ;D I really want a black Pebl, mainly because it's small and round and cute, and has a purple-lit display. Yum. :notworthy:
I have a friend who had a pebble. She had it in her bag next to her purse & the magnet in the speaker wiped her bank cards :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity