Most comprehensive dictionary?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

For the english language. i'm looking for something with the final definitive definitions and a good amount of info on etymology of the words wouldn't hurt.

For years i've had the lousy Random House's Webster's College Dictionary but it really won't do. In vain do i try to peruse it to find out the subtle difference between words like 'declare' and 'proclaim'. So a better one is in order!

And a book it should be, the thicker the better, not some online service.

Help, anyone?
we've got beer and we've got fuel
czuczu
Overbomber

I've always had a soft spot for the Shorter Oxford English but to be honest the Concise is pretty good for what it is :)
Badlander
Overbomber

Why bother ? ;D
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Thanks! The Shorter one looks almost intimidating, and somewhat expensive, so looks like Concise it will be for the moment, though as a purist i'll be unhappy until i get the Shorter one :D

And thanks to Badlander for the tip, but i'm more of a classicist myself than a fan of verse libre...
Badlander
Overbomber

czuczu wrote:I've always had a soft spot for the Shorter Oxford English but to be honest the Concise is pretty good for what it is :)
Always found it funny they call it "shorter". ;D
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Last edited by paint it black on 03 Oct 2007, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
czuczu
Overbomber

^ thats on the junior school syllabus isn't it? :D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'd definitely go for one of the Oxford dictionaries. (As an aside fact fans, JRR Tolkien worked on the OED.)

The full set might be a bit pricey though at £850 :eek:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Badlander
Overbomber

RRP: £850.00
Price: £849.99
You Save: £0.01
Watta bargain ! :lol: :roll:
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

markfiend: Lovely, maybe when i have a real job :lol: Certainly one would get his money's worth.

PIB: The Thesaurus looks handy, and i've never actually had one.

So, thanks to all participants. i decided after all to ask for Christmas the Shorter version, forget about the Concise one, and until then get by with the help of the Dictionary/Thesaurus/Wordpower guide in a few days' time.

And finally throw out Webster.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

When I was at school they had the full 20 volume version. As I recall, the definitions for the word "set" took up about 15 pages...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
smiscandlon
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:When I was at school they had the full 20 volume version. As I recall, the definitions for the word "set" took up about 15 pages...
Ah, the "set" test is a common measure of a good dictionary isn't it?
анархия
Pista
Cureboi

Doesn't contain this though :innocent:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
James Blast
Banned

Pista wrote:Doesn't contain this though :innocent:
one of my faves Steve :D :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

James Blast wrote:
Pista wrote:Doesn't contain this though :innocent:
one of my faves Steve :D :lol:
And mine. ;D
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

GLASGOW (n.)
The feeling of infinite sadness engendered when walking through a place filled with happy people fifteen years younger than yourself.
:lol:

Maybe I should try to compile a Magyar edition.

@Dei

aplogies for dragging what was a fairly serious thread into the mud :oops:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:aplogies for dragging what was a fairly serious thread into the mud :oops:
No worries, i just noted you're a futurist and moved on ;)
Pista
Cureboi

itnAklipse wrote:
Pista wrote:aplogies for dragging what was a fairly serious thread into the mud :oops:
No worries, i just noted you're a futurist and moved on ;)
Okay, I'll take it all back then :lol: :lol:

cheers
s
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

I have a Longman dictionary of contemporary English and pretty happy with it too. Not overly big but has all the words you need really!
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Growing up, I had a big old leather-bound English dictionary of the sort I don't know if they make any more. Great definitions and etymology. At the back it had maps of the world (including things like the boundaries at the height of the Roman Empire), weights and measures, a big list of Christian names and their meanings, "common foreign words and phrases", and a summary of the correct forms of address for important people (Barons, Viscounts, Archbishops etc.). There was something very "British Empire" about it. :lol:
анархия
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

smiscandlon wrote:Growing up, I had a big old leather-bound English dictionary of the sort I don't know if they make any more. Great definitions and etymology. At the back it had maps of the world (including things like the boundaries at the height of the Roman Empire), weights and measures, a big list of Christian names and their meanings, "common foreign words and phrases", and a summary of the correct forms of address for important people (Barons, Viscounts, Archbishops etc.). There was something very "British Empire" about it. :lol:
Oh I have of the same style in Dutch. Fantastic for when you want to write silly letters those things ;D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Mrs PIB has a 'blockbusters' dictionary signed by 'i'll have a p please bob', still got the rather natty sweatshirt too

:lol: :lol:

http://www.ukgameshows.com/page/index.php/Blockbusters
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

smiscandlon wrote:Growing up, I had a big old leather-bound English dictionary of the sort I don't know if they make any more. Great definitions and etymology. At the back it had maps of the world (including things like the boundaries at the height of the Roman Empire), weights and measures, a big list of Christian names and their meanings, "common foreign words and phrases", and a summary of the correct forms of address for important people (Barons, Viscounts, Archbishops etc.). There was something very "British Empire" about it. :lol:
That sounds very much like the Chambers Twentieth Century Dictionary...
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

Another addition
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol:
—Bertrand Russell